Seoul Korea - travelling tips?

What's Hot
Now that I am back from Tokyo, already thinking about my next trip and since I have been to Japan twice, Taipei and HK multiple times....my attention turns to Seoul Korea.

First and foremost, where do you recommend me to stay? I had a quick look on Expedia and hotels are surprisingly reasonable. Something that would cost £300 in Tokyo is like £100 in Seoul. £300 could get me 5 nights in some really nice places for March (off season?).

I am thinking Myeongdong or Hongdae may be? Something foodie orientated and central.

Also, tips on apps to use to travel around? I know Google Maps do not work as they should due to the whole North Korea invasion thing, what apps do you use to navigate around on food to find places? and what app to use for the metro system?

Any tips appreciated.

Thanks!

Photo from Japan for brownie points.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11805
    Ticket booked! Korea in 2 months' time!!!

(plus a quick stop in Japan for some more Ramen!)
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • LodiousLodious Frets: 1942
    I worked in Korea a couple of years ago, I used Kako maps to navigate. Wonderful place, I loved it!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I stayed around the corner from the Catholic Church in Myeongdong. Really good location as you are just on the edge of the Shops , Bars and Restaurants. 

The metro is a piece of piss from what I remember, really clean and efficient. I doubt you would need an app in all honestly.

one bit of advice about the food. Like Japan, they love their photo menus, but they don’t show that each dish comes with loads of sides. Me and my mate looked like absolute twats when we ordered four dishes and then they brought out about 25 small plates of side dishes that went with it. It didn’t even all fit on our table.
    cpcompany said:
    I stayed around the corner from the Catholic Church in Myeongdong. Really good location as you are just on the edge of the Shops , Bars and Restaurants. 

The metro is a piece of piss from what I remember, really clean and efficient. I doubt you would need an app in all honestly.

one bit of advice about the food. Like Japan, they love their photo menus, but they don’t show that each dish comes with loads of sides. Me and my mate looked like absolute twats when we ordered four dishes and then they brought out about 25 small plates of side dishes that went with it. It didn’t even all fit on our table.
    I know about the sides...actually that’s my problem in that because of this, plus their culture in dining out is groups...I know I will get turned away by some places because they don’t serve single person.  It’s not economical for them to seat 1 person to bring out all the sides when the same table can seat more.  I’ve heard stories people turn you away even if you offer to pay for 2 servings.
  • cpcompany said:
    I stayed around the corner from the Catholic Church in Myeongdong. Really good location as you are just on the edge of the Shops , Bars and Restaurants. 

I know about the sides...actually that’s my problem in that because of this, plus their culture in dining out is groups...I know I will get turned away by some places because they don’t serve single person.  It’s not economical for them to seat 1 person to bring out all the sides when the same table can seat more.  I’ve heard stories people turn you away even if you offer to pay for 2 servings.
    Quite a few bars wouldn’t serve us because we only wanted to drink and not eat. I’ve never  experienced that in any other country. Had to do quite a bit of wandering around to sit and have a drink. 
    Things may have changed since then though , as I went about 14/15 years ago.
    cpcompany said:
    cpcompany said:

Quite a few bars wouldn’t serve us because we only wanted to drink and not eat. I’ve never  experienced that in any other country. Had to do quite a bit of wandering around to sit and have a drink. 
    Things may have changed since then though , as I went about 14/15 years ago.
    I have been watching quite a lot of videos on YouTube on Korea lately and it has in some ways but not enough.

It has in the aspect that there are some restaurants start selling "single servings" popping up and they make it a selling point.  

It hasn't in the aspect that I recently saw 2 videos in the week by 2 different vloggers got turned away because they were alone, it wasn't even busy dinner time, but in the afternoon looking for lunch.  One of those is Mike Chen and if you follow the food scene on YouTube, you would know the guy can eat the same amount for about 3 people in 1 meal easily so buying 2 servings is pretty much what he does in every video anyway.

But that isn't going to stop me going, even if I am stuck with street food, 7-11 and McDonalds!