UPDATE - Non-Reverse Firebird..............ish

What's Hot
freakboy1610freakboy1610 Frets: 1207
edited January 2020 in Guitar
I've always liked the look of non-reverse Firebirds but couldn't really justify the cost of a real one so when this Gould Stormbird appeared on Facebook last week I was intrigued. Reviews of Gould guitars that I found on the web and on here were mixed, to say the least but I found one good review of this particular model so I arranged to go and look at it. The neck wasn't twisted, there didn't seem to be any dead spots or sharp fret ends so I bought it.

My intention is to swap all the gold hardware for chrome and change the pickup covers, knobs and switch tip for black ones. I've seen a Firebird logo decal on Ebay so I may also try one of those on the pickguard to make it look a bit more "authentic".

I appreciate that the body shape is slightly off and that it only has 3 knobs but I think it will look good. The P90s sound great. It has a 3 way switch that goes; bridge - neck and bridge - neck. The middle pickup is not controlled by the switch but by the second volume pot so you can blend it in or out or have it on it's own by turning the other volume pot off. I've never come across this before.

According to the person I bought it from it is at least 15 years old (it could date from 2003 according to the quality control sticker on the neck). I think this predates the similar Eastwood Stormbird. She had it from new and it has spent most of that time in it's gig bag. The action is slightly high and the strings are rusty but it still plays OK so with new strings and a good clean and polish it should be great. 

I've already got a chrome tailpeace and studs, tune o matic mounting posts, a black tone knob and strap buttons. Chrome pickguard screws, black volume knobs and black pickup covers are on their way from @Alegree and a black switch tip and input jack plate are en route from China.

image image image
Link to my trading feedback
0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• freakboy1610freakboy1610 Frets: 1207
    edited January 2020
    Got all the bits together over Christmas and it's done. I think it looks great and it plays fairly well for a very inexpensive guitar. Good times!
    0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • steersteer Frets: 1161
    edited January 2020
    3 P90's for when one is not enough! 

Nice find. Yes, the chrome looks better than the gold. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Nice looking guitar, a reasonable copy of the real thing. I’ve always liked the non-reverse Gibson Firebird and wish I’d bought one back in the days when nobody wanted them and they were reasonably affordable .
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71960
    edited January 2020
    That looks so much better it's almost ridiculous! I actually think it looks better with three knobs than four too.

Out of interest, what does the switching do? Is it clever like a 3-pickup Les Paul Custom (neck/middle+bridge/bridge), or simple like a 3-pickup Rickenbacker (neck+middle/all three/bridge)?

For what it's worth it may help the intonation and reduce string breakage to turn the lower three bridge saddles round the right way... I always do on these bridges.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• freakboy1610freakboy1610 Frets: 1207
    edited January 2020
    ICBM said:
    That looks so much better it's almost ridiculous! I actually think it looks better with three knobs than four too.

Out of interest, what does the switching do? Is it clever like a 3-pickup Les Paul Custom (neck/middle+bridge/bridge), or simple like a 3-pickup Rickenbacker (neck+middle/all three/bridge)?

For what it's worth it may help the intonation and reduce string breakage to turn the lower three bridge saddles round the right way... I always do on these bridges.
    The switching is weird. It goes bridge, bridge+neck, neck. The middle pickup works solely off the second volume pot. This allows a much wider variety of tonal options but it can be a bit fiddly. Most configurations sound good to me. The only combination that doesn't sound good is all three pickups at once.

I didn't know that turning the bridge saddles around was a thing.  I might try it next time I change strings. 

One thing I struggle with slightly is always hitting the pickup covers with my plectrum. There's not a lot of space in between!
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14323
    ICBM said:
    it may help the intonation and reduce string breakage to turn the lower three bridge saddles round the right way.
    I have just performed this exact task on a replacement bridge for a friend's LTD F-10. (It needed it for the range of intonation adjustment - most noticeably on the D string.) The circlips are a PITA if you do not have the correct tool to spring them off.

ICBM said:
    Out of interest, what does the switching do?
    The switching ... goes bridge, bridge+neck, neck. The middle pickup works solely off the second volume pot. This allows a much wider variety of tonal options but it can be a bit fiddly. Most configurations sound good to me. The only combination that doesn't sound good is all three pickups at once.
    A pretty fair assessment of a triple P90 array. 

It might be worth inviting @HarrySeven to comment on the joys of the Höhner/Entwistle ATN electronics in conjunction with three P90s.
    Be seeing you.