Hand pain bad technique?

What's Hot
Hi i'm still very much a beginner but have been learning for a year or so now. I've recently been getting pain at the bottom joint of my pointing finger on my fretting hand (if that makes sense)? As in if you look at your left hand palm, the top left corner joint?
I seem to put a lot of pressure on it when playing, I almost use it as a pivot point. I'm not sure if anyone understands what i'm saying but if you do then i'd welcome some advice? Is it technique? Do others play this way? I've tried to hold the guitar like they tell you in books with your thumb behind the neck and holding it like a U shape but I find that position very awkward.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ClarkyClarky Frets: 3261
    could be over pressure..
    try fretting a string as close as is possible to the fret without touching the fret..
    pick the note repeatedly and gradually back off the pressure..
    you'll then find that you don't need huge amounts of pressure at all
    all you need is that minimum pressure plus a tiny bit more to make sure and then you can use this as a reference

new players tend to pick too timidly, fret too firmly
    and not have an ideal playing position / posture; typically wearing the guitar too low causing the wrist to bend forwards in the neck hand and so hyperextending the tendons in the back of the hand

those things above combined cause:
    - reduced dexterity
    - a reduced limit to how quickly and efficiently you can play [soloing, riffing and moving between different chords]
    - reduced control with bends and vibrato
    - low stamina levels
    - lactic acid pains and tendon injuries

play every note as if it were your first
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10893
    Excellent advice ^^^

This is a great exercise for finger independence and applying the correct pressure https://www.justinguitar.com/guitar-lessons/minimum-movement-exercise-im-114
  • JAYJOJAYJO Frets: 1527
    There  is a video on youtube only about 5mins long. 5 ways to take the pain out of barre chords. It may be very helpful to you.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • The way of finding out how much pressure you need is slightly different - place your finger on the string without pressure on a fret that doesn't do harmonics (so not the 5th or 7th), just a dull thud. Then slowly increase the pressure until you can hear the note ring. That's all the pressure you need, probably a lot less than you are putting into it at the moment (I find it worth doing every so often just as a reality check).
  • Paul7926Paul7926 Frets: 227
    I'm going to try those suggestions.  I find as a beginner I press really hard on the strings, then for no good reason, press harder if I'm not producing the correct sounds.  I think it's the guitar equivalent of pressing the TV remote button harder when the batteries are running low because, yeah, that's bound to help.
  • Also, don't forget to use your arm when playing chords.  My elbow moves closer to my body for some chords and farther away for others allowing my fingers/hand easier access.  I see some people locking their arm in place and trying to force their hand and wrist to do all the work. 

“Theory is something that is written down after the music has been made so we can explain it to others”– Levi Clay

• robertyroberty Frets: 10893
    JAYJO said:
    There  is a video on youtube only about 5mins long. 5 ways to take the pain out of barre chords. It may be very helpful to you.
    Yep this is all good stuff

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vE2klSxtMO8
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • JAYJOJAYJO Frets: 1527
    roberty said:
    JAYJO said:

Thats the one mate cheers!
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6389
    edited November 2019
    Get away from full 5 or 6 string Barre chords as soon as you can (you do need to learn them though), solo they sound fine, but when you're with other musicians the Barre chord is very busy (tonally) and sounds crap (IMHO), morseso with distortion - So called 5 chords on a lower string is where the Mojo is  

I have arthritis in my fretting hand from poor technique - thumb parallel to the neck, not wrapped around for barre chords !

Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
    Paul7926 said:
    I'm going to try those suggestions.  I find as a beginner I press really hard on the strings, then for no good reason, press harder if I'm not producing the correct sounds.  I think it's the guitar equivalent of pressing the TV remote button harder when the batteries are running low because, yeah, that's bound to help.
    another point to note is that when you fret a string, the underside of the string [on many but not all guitars] often don't touch the fingerboard.. it only really touches the frets in front and behind
    if you squeeze too hard you'll actually bend some of the notes sharp..
    which is one of the reasons that someone that's not been playing long will tune the guitar perfectly with a tuner and then sound out of tune when they play..

experiment..
    tune the guitar perfectly
    play an E chord as gently as you can get away with [plus a tiny amount of pressure more to ensure nothing fizzes and rattles]
    then squeeze as hard as you can and play it again.. at the very least you should hear the G# [1st fret, G string] sharpen some...
    in fact.. those of us that are into shredder necks with tall, fat frets would find that the G# would almost reach the note A if you really wring it's neck.. lol...

so.. you need just enough pressure to make good clean contact wth the fret and nothing more
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Paul7926Paul7926 Frets: 227
    edited November 2019
    Clarky said:

experiment..
    play an E chord as gently as you can get away with [plus a tiny amount of pressure more to ensure nothing fizzes and rattles]
    then squeeze as hard as you can and play it again.. at the very least you should hear the G# [1st fret, G string] sharpen some...
    in fact.. those of us that are into shredder necks with tall, fat frets would find that the G# would almost reach the note A if you really wring it's neck.. lol...

so.. you need just enough pressure to make good clean contact wth the fret and nothing more
    not only am I surprised by the experiment I'm also surprised that the the difference is so big I can hear the note changing pitch as I put too much pressure on the string. Definitely clutching at the fretboard way too hard.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited November 2019
    Paul7926 said:
    Clarky said:

experiment..

not only am I surprised by the experiment I'm also surprised that the the difference is so big I can hear the note changing pitch as I put too much pressure on the string. Definitely clutching at the fretboard way too hard.
    makes quite a difference don't it..
    the G and B are particularly sensitive to over pressure..
    it'll take a little time, but eventually you'll come to learn what the right pressure feels like to the point where you'll not even concentrate on it..

once you sort pressure, posture and playing position you'll really feel better and hear a difference in the sounds you are making..
    you'll be cleaner, tidier and more polished sounding
  • Hi lots of useful tips. It’s not my fingers that are hurting though, I’m talking about the joint that’s at the bottom of your index finger, I’m finding it’s pushing hard against the back of the neck as I’m playing if that makes sense, especially when doing a G chord for example
    jay8bc said:
    Hi lots of useful tips. It’s not my fingers that are hurting though, I’m talking about the joint that’s at the bottom of your index finger, I’m finding it’s pushing hard against the back of the neck as I’m playing if that makes sense, especially when doing a G chord for example
    without being able to see what your hand looks like [position, the overall shape etc] it's not easy to tell..
    pressure is always a consideration though
  • JAYJO said:
    roberty said:
    JAYJO said:

Thats the one mate cheers!
    Wiz'd you both for saving my hands
    Just so people are aware. I have no idea what any of these words mean.