Newcastle

What's Hot
HaychHaych Frets: 5629

I've never been but always wanted to go.  It's quite a drag from where I live (probably six hours without stopping).

I can fly which would be quicker, but assuming Mrs Haych comes along for the ride then driving will be cheaper.  Plus, if we fly we won't have a horseless carriage in which to get around while we're there.

Thinking about making a long weekend out of it and perhaps stopping off in York on the way there/back - another place I've never been but have always wanted to.

If I go, what should I do while I'm there?  Where should I go?  What should I see?  Any recommended places to stay or should I just book a Premier Inn?

As always, TIA

There is no 'H' in Aych, you know that don't you? ~ Wife

Turns out there is an H in Haych! ~ Sporky

Bit of trading feedback here.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• BigMonkaBigMonka Frets: 1770
    The bit along the river where the Sage is and the winking bridge are really nice. It's also easy to get the metro out to the coast (like Tynemouth, Cullercoats, Whitely Bay) if you fancy that too.

York is a good place to visit too (and to live, even if I do say so myself), and only a couple of hours drive from Newcastle (or an hour on the train if you prefer).
    Always be yourself! Unless you can be Batman, in which case always be Batman.
    My boss told me "dress for the job you want, not the job you have"... now I'm sat in a disciplinary meeting dressed as Batman.
  • tony99tony99 Frets: 7106
    The Auf Wiedersehn Pet Cultural Centre is not to be missed, along with the Jossy's Giants Museum of Boy's Football.
    Bollocks you don't know Bono !!
  • rlwrlw Frets: 4695
    Book well ahead and get a deal on train fares.  Premier Inns are OK.  I've stayed at the waterfront one in Newcastle and it was just OK , no more, like they always are.
    I would recommend the Churchill Hotel in York where I've stayed a few times but there's all the other chains here too.
    No-one I trust to setup a guitar though.
    Save a cow.  Eat a vegetarian.
  • The city itself is really small and you can get anywhere by pretty much walking. If you wanted to learn a bit more about Newcastle and enjoy history then I would highly recommend 'Iles Tours'! The Quayside is always a good shout either on the Gateshead or Newcastle side, and a sunny day makes it all the better. There are no guitar shops that I would majorly recommend, but we have a Guitar Guitar, JG Windows and PMT as the big boys. And then a couple of smaller ones dotted about. For drinks definitely try The Botanist! It's a little pricey but if you and the wife wanted a nice night out then you can't go wrong. A couple of great coffee shops. Pink Lane or Laneway in Newcastle or Backyard Bike Shop which is on the Gateshead side but situated under the Tyne Bridge. You also have Durham which is around a 30 minute drive away and is lovely.

I'ts a beautiful and incredible city and 99% of people who are from the area are lovely! If there is anything specific you'd like to know or ask about then feel free to send me a message. I'd be more than happy to help!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • The obvious questions to ask you are what do you and Mrs H like doing, and when are you planning to visit. It's pretty damp and dull outside here at the moment. A car would be worth while. There's some nice countryside round the area, and there is Hadrian's Wall.
  • SRichSRich Frets: 762
    If you have decent weather, one place to eat in Tynemouth, try Riley’s Fish Shack.....hugely popular and queues happen a lot, but a great place to eat literally on the beach.

The climb back up after eating is imposing but well-worth it after good ‘scran’.

"There's things I want, there's things I think I want 
    There's things I've had, there's things I wanna have" 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Theres not much to see in the city itself in my opinion, Its just a great place to wander around. The city centre is probably smaller than you imagine. All the worth while historic sights are close by, such as Durham Cathedral, Hadrians wall, Castles of Northumberland. Most places, bar Durham you would need a car to get to. 

If you go for a pint, the Pitcher & Piano is a good place to drink by the Tyne. The Forth and Telegraph are great pubs, although always were suited to the Indie crowd back when I went regularly.

Avoid drinking in the Bigg Market.Clayton Street and Newgate street.
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 18730
    SRich said:
    If you have decent weather, one place to eat in Tynemouth, try Riley’s Fish Shack.....hugely popular and queues happen a lot, but a great place to eat literally on the beach.

The climb back up after eating is imposing but well-worth it after good ‘scran’.
    Crown Posada, proper pub.
    To eat, Crusoes at Tynemouth, again right on the beach. Be gull aware if eating outside  ;)
  • HaychHaych Frets: 5629
    Is the Spanish City still there/worth going to?  I asked my boss, who claims to be from Newcastle, but he just looked confused and didn't know if it was still there or not.

There is no 'H' in Aych, you know that don't you? ~ Wife

Turns out there is an H in Haych! ~ Sporky

Bit of trading feedback here.

• BigMonkaBigMonka Frets: 1770
    Haych said:
    Is the Spanish City still there/worth going to?  I asked my boss, who claims to be from Newcastle, but he just looked confused and didn't know if it was still there or not.
    Spanish City is still there out at Whitley Bay, it's been rejuvenated in recent years, but I've no idea if it's worth the trip out there. If you wanted a trip to the coast anyway then it would make sense to go.
    Always be yourself! Unless you can be Batman, in which case always be Batman.
    My boss told me "dress for the job you want, not the job you have"... now I'm sat in a disciplinary meeting dressed as Batman.
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 18730
    Haych said:
    Technically it still exists, but not as the static fairground as I remember it or I daresay Mr. Knopfler either.
    It has been 'redeveloped', make of that what you will  ;)
    https://spanishcity.co.uk/
  • SnapSnap Frets: 6264

I was at Uni there 88-91, had the time of my life. Great people, very warm and friendly, the nearest to Lancastrians in that respect. Lovely.

One thing that will strike you about Geordies at the weekend is that they party harder than any other people you will come across. On a weekend, the bars are full all day, it's mental!

The layout of the city is nice - all the roads are curved, Grey St and Dean St are v pretty. Walking down to the quayside, under the foot of the Tyne Bridge is spectacular. Lots of good boozers too - Red House is an old haunt, down on the Quayside.

Graingertown area is a bit grubby.

York - go. Just go, it's amazing. Ancient and fascinating. A walk along the city walls is good. It's an easy city to get around, lots to see, nice pubs, eateries, cafes, shops. All the museums are good too. Castle Museum is possibly the best, Jorvik is interesting if you like your Viking stuff. Deffo don't need a car in York. Most of it is pedestrian anyway

• Haych said:
    It's pretty much a few small fancy coffee shops, a Beefeater and another independent restaurant. If you want to go to the beach then there are much better options than Whitley Bay.