Wood fired hot tub

What's Hot
Anybody tried one? bloody brilliant they are. Went in one of those posh camping pods a few weeks ago and this thing was outside our cabin, I got a fire going and kept checking periodically and it seemed like slow progress, I found a sack of barbecue charcoal that someone had left lying around and threw that in too. After about an hour of drunkenly stumbling out into the night to check on it it was the temperature of a hot bath, You couldnt get me out of it, the wife and kids did about 30 mins before saying it was too hot, it was marvellous, the contrast between the icy night air and the water was lovely.

So now I want one, don't know where its going to go but I want one.
"OUR TOSSPOT"
0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72304
    I think there are still places in the remotest parts of Papua New Guinea where the locals provide these for visitors...

:)

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

12reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBM said:
    I think there are still places in the remotest parts of Papua New Guinea where the locals provide these for visitors...

Fancied going there.. what's the cuisine like?
    My trading feedback

is it crazy how saying sentences backwards creates backwards sentences saying how crazy it is?

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6389
    ICBM said:

Bit chewy ;)
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 18729
    Tastes bloodandtears said:
    ICBM said:

Tastes predominantly of pork apparently.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I have a plan to build a hot tub at some point. There's videos on YouTube for inspiration, but my favourite takes a 1000 litre IBC tank with the metal cage around it which you can attached wooden panelling to for aesthetics. Between that and the plastic tub you can stuff insulation, and then just plumb in a water inlet and outlet. I'd then run a coil of pipe around the chimney of my chimenea and let thermals cause the water to circulate without needing a pump.
    Add a couple of wooden seats, and LED lighting, possible a shelter with drinks holders and you've got a neat mini garden tub.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • youtube and pinterest will suck you into that dark hole. Before long you'll be buying axes and seeking trees to chop down and build a cabin.

One hugely efficient way of heating them is the Rocket Stove. That uses minimal fuel to heat a solid mass (earth, clay etc) which then slowly releases the heat. Stick the tub onto a clay base and you'll be able to reduce the amount of wood you burn, maximise its efficiency - important in reducing your carbon footprint.

Oh, don't go into the tub after the teenagers.....
    If I had talent, I'd be talented.
    Red meat and functional mushrooms.
    Persistent and inconsistent guitar player.
    A lefty, hence a fog of permanent frustration

Not enough guitars, pedals, and cricket bats.
    USA Deluxe Strat - Martyn Booth Special - Electromatic
    FX Plex - Cornell Romany
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24255
    Nasty sex pool.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 18729
    Going to sound awfully boring, but the idea of wasting huge amounts of energy/fuel heating loads of water for an occasional splash about is just not really a good or sustainable idea.
    Similarly, sitting outside a pub with gas heaters blazing away... just sit out or go in.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • SnapSnap Frets: 6264
    Going to sound awfully boring, but the idea of wasting huge amounts of energy/fuel heating loads of water for an occasional splash about is just not really a good or sustainable idea.
    Similarly, sitting outside a pub with gas heaters blazing away... just sit out or go in.

Ha, ditto. I don't get the whole hot tub thing. Seems to be fad thing that people use for a few weeks then stop, being left with an expensive water butt on their patio.

Mind you, I don't like baths either. Make me feel hot and queasy.

• Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24294
    @jonnyburgo I'm in.  I adore baths and I love being in the garden.  A hot bath in the garden is my idea of paradise.  How do I get this aquatic paradise my friend?
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.
    Also chips are "Plant-based" no matter how you cook them.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 7846
    I haven’t had a bath in years. Massive waste of time and time water. Give me a quick cool shower any day!
  • I've lived here for 25 years and have been in the bath to clean the window and put some blinds up.
    Next door have a hot-tub on their patio, I'm dreading an invitation to a ht party !