Polaroid?

What's Hot
Anyone using Polaroid film and camera system? How useful do you find it and what do you use it for? Thinking about it as a Xmas gift for a keen film photographer but wonder how much use they would get from it. The new camera has a Bluetooth link with ability to manipulate pics and manually set camera, is it useful or would the standard version be preferable. Any insights gratefully received.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12295
    My friends son has a Polaroid, I know the films are pretty pricey, at £15 a pop for 20 pics, you have to make every one count!
    "OUR TOSSPOT"
  • NomadNomad Frets: 549
    There was a time in film photography when Polaroid was used as part of the process of taking photos with a large format camera (5" x 4" negative). Polaroid made a larger version of their B&W film, and a special holder that could be fitted into the camera, meaning you could get a printed preview of the picture you were about to take with proper film, or an actual print and negative, depending on the type of Polaroid film you were using. Those types of Polaroid film are long gone, although I'm sure somebody was reintroducing one at exorbitant cost (like, £5+ per photo).

Aside from that usage, and some particularly large formats (20" x 16" colour prints), Polaroid was generally small and aimed at casual shooters who would otherwise be using Kodak Instamatic cameras - the instant print thing was the unique selling point.

About 15 quid for eight shots...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Polaroid-Originals-Colour-White-Frame/dp/B075H4WWP1?th=1

Speaking as a keen film photographer, I have no use for such a thing - the cost is too high for what you get, and I have no interest in the cameras. There might be a case for treating them as an art form, or artistic medium, in their own right, but I have to say that they never interested me back in the day beyond the novelty of being instant. I went from an Instamatic to a proper 35mm SLR. 

A younger film photographer might have an interest from the perspective of trying out Polaroid as a retro thing, or maybe as a manual and tactile version of instagram images, but those that remember the original Polaroid stuff maybe less so. If someone gave me a Polaroid camera and some film, I'd use it to see what I could get out of it, but I don't think I'd be buying more film after that.

It depends on the photographer, really. What age is the photographer in question, what sort of equipment do they use, and what sort of photos do they take?

Nomad
    Nobody loves me but my mother... and she could be jivin' too...

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • To go against the grain...

It's a wonderful artistic medium that provides an opportunity for expression, no different from pen and paper, or the latest sports DSLR. 
  • dazzajldazzajl Frets: 5732
    @Nomad is right that it’s going to be a love or hate kind of deal. If your friend is the type to strive for the pinnacle of image quality then they’re possibly at the other end of the spectrum. If they’re more about experiment and expression then they might well adore the experience. 

I spend my days producing technically perfect shots so when I get to have playtime, something like a Polaroid camera would be an amazing gift and I’d be thrilled. 
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12349
    edited November 2019
    I’ve still got a couple of old Polaroid cameras but the price of the film is too expensive to bother using them. The colours always looked unrealistic to me too, although that’s part of the charm for some. You can download Polaroid emulator software that will convert your images though, so I’m not sure anyone needs to invest in an actual camera. 

boogieman said:
    I’ve still got a couple of old Polaroid cameras but the price of the film is too expensive to bother using them. The colours always looked unrealistic to me too, although that’s part of the charm for some. You can download Polaroid emulator software that will convert your images though, so I’m not sure anyone needs to invest in an actual camera. 

You can get software that will make a keyboard sound like a guitar but we're all living proof that it's not the same thing.

This thread is making very nostalgic for a Polaroid camera again. You're completely right about them not looking like any other form of film. When I used to shoot polaroids in the studio for clients my worst fear was they would say it's absolutely perfect, as there was no chance it would look exactly the same on the transparencies.  
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • NomadNomad Frets: 549
    On the other hand, there are lots of things for film shooters in the £100-150 price bracket...

Tripod and/or tripod head
    Nice camera bag
    Light meter
    Flash gun
    Filter(s)
    Studio gear (lighting, backdrop, etc)
    Camera (mostly used)
    Lens (mostly used)
    New pinhole camera
    Film
    Vouchers / gift card for film processing
    Books / training / workshop

Nearly all traditional style film cameras are second hand these days. New ones tend to be either cheapo things or well out of budget. For lenses, even the cheaper new options are probably out of budget, but there are plenty of good deals to be had used. Pinhole cameras are good fun and there are quite a few new within budget. Lots of choice in accessories new and used. Film and/or processing might be an option, but is maybe less of a 'thing' to give as a gift (it's a consumable). Hard to spend the budget on books unless they're an avid reader, but it should just about cover a short course or workshop.

As mentioned, it really depends on the photographer. A lot of stuff is also quite a personal choice - it's very much like guitar gear in that respect, meaning you'd have to listen carefully for hints or straight out ask them.

If you're thinking that a left-field camera is the sort of thing that they might be into, then maybe consider a pinhole. There are nice wooden ones available new, to suit various film formats. If they haven't done pinhole before, suss out which film format they tend to use and see what's available. There is also Worldwide Pinhole Photography Day, which is an event that happens every spring (last Sunday in April). Folks go out and take pinhole photos on that day and submit one photo to a web site, where they're all exhibited. No cost to enter, no prizes - all about participation and fun.

Nomad
    Nobody loves me but my mother... and she could be jivin' too...

• JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6055
    Nomad said:
    There was a time in film photography when Polaroid was used as part of the process of taking photos with a large format camera (5" x 4" negative). Polaroid made a larger version of their B&W film, and a special holder that could be fitted into the camera, meaning you could get a printed preview of the picture you were about to take with proper film, or an actual print and negative, depending on the type of Polaroid film you were using. Those types of Polaroid film are long gone, although I'm sure somebody was reintroducing one at exorbitant cost (like, £5+ per photo).

Aside from that usage, and some particularly large formats (20" x 16" colour prints), Polaroid was generally small and aimed at casual shooters who would otherwise be using Kodak Instamatic cameras - the instant print thing was the unique selling point.

About 15 quid for eight shots...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Polaroid-Originals-Colour-White-Frame/dp/B075H4WWP1?th=1

Speaking as a keen film photographer, I have no use for such a thing - the cost is too high for what you get, and I have no interest in the cameras. There might be a case for treating them as an art form, or artistic medium, in their own right, but I have to say that they never interested me back in the day beyond the novelty of being instant. I went from an Instamatic to a proper 35mm SLR. 

A younger film photographer might have an interest from the perspective of trying out Polaroid as a retro thing, or maybe as a manual and tactile version of instagram images, but those that remember the original Polaroid stuff maybe less so. If someone gave me a Polaroid camera and some film, I'd use it to see what I could get out of it, but I don't think I'd be buying more film after that.

It depends on the photographer, really. What age is the photographer in question, what sort of equipment do they use, and what sort of photos do they take?
    It would be for my son, he's late 20's. He's been interested in film photography for some years, he has a couple of Pentax ME's (and a decent Fuji digital although he doesn't use that so much) and is always keen to try our different film stocks etc. He takes a lot of candid style clubbing and pubbing shots as well as having a very good eye for landscape composition. He mentioned wanting a compact film camera for situations where he can't concentrate on the manual technical stuff and I was wondering if Polaroid might be a way to address that.

It is expensive, the stock is possibly too much for him to manage on a regular basis but I remembered that it does have a certain charm to the quality of the film - esp if you warm it up prior to use iirc. And then there were people who manipulated the developing prints into abstract designs (but that stuff is easily achieved using digital nowadays).

.boogieman said:
    Good point, although the physical process of using a different medium can be exciting.

• dbphotodbphoto Frets: 716
    edited November 2019
    During the 20 plus years I owned photography studios I covered the rent every month from the profit of supplying passport photos using a Polaroid passport camera.

I would also occasionally use the Polaroid back I had for my Hasselblad’s as a quick test when doing commercial jobs on transparency.

As with any film medium now I think if it’s your hobby then fair enough, use whatever you enjoy.
  • LodiousLodious Frets: 1942
    I bought my daughter a Fiji instant camera a few years back, it's good fun at parties....people make more of an effort when they know a print will appear right after the picture is taken. Quality is a bit rubbish, but I'd still recommend them. 
  • JezWynd said:
    He mentioned wanting a compact film camera for situations where he can't concentrate on the manual technical stuff and I was wondering if Polaroid might be a way to address that.

——

Sounds more like he’s after a point and shoot to go along side his manual camera? Then he can still use his 35mm films. Makes sense to me as I did the same. Lots of options out there. Some are Crazy prices due to being a fashionable choice that a famous photographer used, like some of the Contax. The OLYMPUS µ[mju:]-II Looks fun and had a good 35mm fixed lens, much cheeper too. 
  • Jesus. Just looked at the price of OLYMPUS µ[mju:]-II. They’ve gone up!! Crazy. Must be other nice cheeper options out there though  
  • David Sylvian  Might still use it , seem to recall him holding exhibitions of Polaroid’s 
  • bbill335bbill335 Frets: 1373
    instax wide takes much nicer pics than polaroid, but the camera is more expensive to buy than an old 600 polaroid
    brucegill said:
    JezWynd said:
    He mentioned wanting a compact film camera for situations where he can't concentrate on the manual technical stuff and I was wondering if Polaroid might be a way to address that.

——

Sounds more like he’s after a point and shoot to go along side his manual camera? Then he can still use his 35mm films. Makes sense to me as I did the same. Lots of options out there. Some are Crazy prices due to being a fashionable choice that a famous photographer used, like some of the Contax. The OLYMPUS µ[mju:]-II Looks fun and had a good 35mm fixed lens, much cheeper too. 
    Very good point, I hadn’t considered that the stock between slr and compact is standard, whereas adding Polaroid is a costly addition.

He’s mentioned Contax to me and I was surprised at the prices, esp for the Tix model, which uses APS stock which is substandard and hard to get hold of (and process I think).

He does have an old Olympus Pen, the half frame model and I’ve found a Yashica compact online which I think he will like.hollywoodrox said:
    David Sylvian  Might still use it , seem to recall him holding exhibitions of Polaroid’s 
    I think one of the Duran guys bought out a book of Polaroid’s of tv snow (touring must have been boring).

@Nomad, thanks for the info re pin hole cameras. That seems like just the thing he would really enjoy getting to grips with, I’ll check those out in more detail.
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12349
    If he’s into quirky stuff what about Lomography? Some reasonably priced Lomo cameras around. 
    edited November 2019
    If the Lomo idea appeals, then the Agfa Clack is well worth a look. Basically the same sort of thing but shooting glorious 6x9 frames. 

• LuttiSLuttiS Frets: 2243
    Get an fuji Instax.. the mini are pretty cheap and film isn't eye wateringly expensive if you get it a few at a time...  The wide is a bit more pricey, keep an eye on ebay, we got the wide camera for about a tenner. 
    I think the mini has more film options though. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • You could get a little fuji wireless printer. They are tiny, print to the instax paper and give a real optical print, not ink.

If he already has a fuji digital it might encourage use. 

If he wants a more automatic camera, I would suggest the digital he already has, or he could look at something like a Canon ae-1 p and just leave it in P. 
    Must confess I’d never heard of Lomography or Agfa Clack, thanks for the heads up. The Instax system looks fun and the printer looks neat, esp. as he could send prints from his Fuji x100. Think I'll stick with the Yashica and perhaps a pin hole for now and sound him out re an Instax system to see if it's something he would use. Thank you everyone for your suggestions, lots to think about.