Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

How owning stuff makes you feel

What's Hot
beed84beed84 Frets: 2408
Tech wise I have the following: 
  • 50" Plasma TV
  • Apple TV
  • Nintendo Switch
  • Nintendo GameCube
  • PS4
  • MacBook Pro
  • iPhone SE
  • Philips Hue
Given the above list, it might sound strange to for me to say I'm not particularly materialistic – I could live without these devices if I had to and still have plenty to keep me happy.

Now, although I know I don't need these devices, they do provide some function and enjoyment to my life. Games consoles to wind down with, a decent TV to enjoy my favourite films on, MacBook to get various work done, and so on. However, I often have this overwhelming sense of it all being too much, or feeling guilty for owning them, that they just serve as distractions – why play games when I've got an endless supply of music to learn, for example. It gets to a point where I freak out and want to get rid of it all and unshackle myself from how owning such equipment sometimes make me feel. This sensation has gone on for years. It's weird if not stressful.

With this in mind, does anyone else have similar feelings with what you own, or are you more laid back about it? Maybe you live a tech-free lifestyle, or perhaps you all about the latest gizmo. Whatever your position, I'd be interested to hear others' points of view with a hope to help with my own  :)
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• brooombrooom Frets: 1173
    edited November 2019
    Not particularly bothered about tech. I don't own a lot of it (although I do have a switch), I see tech as being mostly disposable. It does my head in that I own so many guitars, when realistically one or two would do the job. And I'm probably going to sort that out.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I am in the process of going through everything we own with a view to getting rid of anything that doesn’t give me warm fuzzies. 

I’m certainly keeping the PS4 and Switch but I have a load of old PS3 stuff, a couple of old laptops, loads of dvds etc etc that are just taking up space and bringing zero benefit. 

I think it’s a healthy thing to clear out every once in a while and I’m hoping this time I’m going to maintain a mindset not to buy more crap that will only get cleared out in future.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10402
    I got a telly, phone and laptop etc but my greatest and most valuable possession is time. When you don't give a shit about what kinda car you drive or what brand of jeans you wear you don't need to earn a lot of money and you get time to do the things that are important to you. Like playing guitar, being in the pub or on the beach etc. 

www.2020studios.co.uk 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 15reaction image Wisdom
  • jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12310
    It's true, most of us have too much shit in the house. I have no interest in keeping up with tech though and would feel sad if I felt the need to upgrade my stuff just to keep up with an imaginary construct of being complete or cool or current. Same with cars, I have no desire for luxury in that area at all, I genuinely believe that as much as we hate to admit it a lot of this stuff is to show the world how complete or successful or defined we are. I say we because I count mysf as being just as potentially fallible as the next guy. We all get that little buzz if someone is thinking you've done alright for yourself. It's all empty though. It's just shit we drag along for the ride. Now reading that back surely means I must be blissfully happy, am I fuck, I'm just a lost soul like the rest of yers are.
    "OUR TOSSPOT"
  • robgilmorobgilmo Frets: 3443
    I choose quality over quantity, buy the best I can afford and less crap I don't ned.
    A Deuce , a Tele and a cup of tea.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33793
    It doesn't have to be a binary argument between 'stuff' and 'time' if you arrange your life in such a way as to allow having time and a decent income.

We move so often that we do tend to have regular clear outs- even still we move with a 40ft (personal stuff/furniture) and 20ft (studio) container, excluding vehicles.
    Every time we move I secretly hope we lose the lot, get an insurance payout and can start collecting things again.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • octatonic said:
    It doesn't have to be a binary argument between 'stuff' and 'time' if you arrange your life in such a way as to allow having time and a decent income.

We move so often that we do tend to have regular clear outs- even still we move with a 40ft (personal stuff/furniture) and 20ft (studio) container, excluding vehicles.
    Every time we move I secretly hope we lose the lot, get an insurance payout and can start collecting things again.
    There is a little bit of me that completely knows that feeling, save for probably 2 guitars that I'll genuinely never intentionally part with, and a very small handful of personal effects.
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33793
    octatonic said:

There is a little bit of me that completely knows that feeling, save for probably 2 guitars that I'll genuinely never intentionally part with, and a very small handful of personal effects.
    I always fly with one very special guitar. :)
  • octatonic said:
    octatonic said:

I always fly with one very special guitar. :)
    I didn't last time. I will next time. It's a Gibson so I'd be terrified of it going in a hold, but the original cardboard TKL case is fairly knackered so when we move it'll get a Calton and come with me in the cabin. 
  • Paul_CPaul_C Frets: 7776

I've got a TV but my daughter watches it more than I do, and and XBox One S which mostly get used so my daughter can watch YouTube and iPlayer videos on TV. my stereo is ancient, as is my PC (and my car).

The only thing I spend any money on (other than my kids and grandkids) these days is pedals, and even then I'm building way more than buying.

"I'll probably be in the bins at Newport Pagnell services."  fretmeister
  • robgilmorobgilmo Frets: 3443
    So what about keeping knackered stuff, you guys keep knackered stuff because you couldn't bear to get rid?
    A Deuce , a Tele and a cup of tea.
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11872
    edited November 2019
    @beed84 ;;

That list is nothing to be honest.

You have 1 semi-modern console, an old TV, a computer (everyone does), a really old phone and the only thing stands out is the Philips Hue but that is hundreds, not thousands of pounds.  I wouldn't call you materialistic, not even close.  I would say on the scale of materialistic, 1 being living in a tree house with electric and a Nokia T9 phone and 10 being someone who buys everything shown on Unboxed Therapy.  You are like a 2.

I am probably on like 8 in that scale.  New OLED tv yesterday....I am trying my best to tone it down but it is like a sickness and addiction.  To fill an emotional void with materials.  It never works, well it does for like a day until whatever i bought arrives. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • vizviz Frets: 10690
    beed84 said:
    Tech wise I have the following: 
    • 50" Plasma TV
    • Apple TV
    • Nintendo Switch
    • Nintendo GameCube
    • PS4
    • MacBook Pro
    • iPhone SE
    • Philips Hue

What’s your address?

Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
    6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6059
    There’s only one as enjoyable as buying stuff and that is throwing it way. I love that rosy glow of achievement after a trip to the tip or charity shop.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • bodhibodhi Frets: 1334
    I don't like owning lots of stuff.  If it doesn't have a distinct purpose, isn't regularly used, or isn't of real sentimental value, I do not want.

But what I don't want doesn't really count for much around these parts.  This place looks like a comedy sketch of a vandalised one pound shop, but at least the structure itself is only a few months away from being fully paid for (by me).

Stuff I do want and have:  A laptop, an iPhone SE, two guitars, one amp, four pedals.  No other gadgets, no car, TV isn't mine and I don't get to watch it anyway.
  • spark240spark240 Frets: 2084
    Yep....I get it...I own lots of "stuff"....not all latest tech....but its definitely not really needed...I often have more than one of almost identical things...not sure why , I just like it....if you get within a few yards of @HarrySeven you will be afflicted with this disease ;-)

Mac Mini M1
    Presonus Studio One V5
     https://www.studiowear.co.uk/ -
     https://twitter.com/spark240
     Facebook - m.me/studiowear.co.uk
    Reddit r/newmusicreview 
  • It can make me feel quite bad when I think about it. Luckily I can't afford much stuffs. Most of the things I have are hand-me-downs or from charity shops. 
    I like the idea of not being tied down, not emotionally attached to material objects. Can't think of anything I couldn't just walk away from if I had to.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • spark240 said:
    Yep....I get it...I own lots of "stuff"....not all latest tech....but its definitely not really needed...I often have more than one of almost identical things...not sure why , I just like it....if you get within a few yards of @HarrySeven you will be afflicted with this disease ;-)
    It’s partially your fault, anyway! Your house was always uber-cool when when we were kids... :)

HarrySeven - Intangible Asset Appraiser & Wrecker of Civilisation. Searching for weird guitars - so you don't have to.
    Forum feedback thread.    |     G&B interview #1 & #2   |  https://www.instagram.com/_harry_seven_/ 

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2896
    I’ve gradually whittled down all my “stuff” to the bare minimum and it is nice. I mainly did it to make moving house easier but it has been refreshing to get rid of the stuff I only used very rarely, like my desktop pc which was a huge clutter. Same with guitar bits, I’ve got 1 guitar, small pedalboard and a combo amp. 
  • ReverendReverend Frets: 4997
    I have loads of stuff. My two tvs are flat screens but both are fairly basic and not that big. However i do have literally thousands of CDs and LPs. Hundreds of cassettes and hundreds of singles. I have 100 band shirts in my pile to sell. I have 3 70s marshall.heads, as well as a few other amps. 4 book shelves full of books. I really need to have a sort out. Again.
    0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom