Help with subwoofer for AV system.

What's Hot

Just picking peoples brains for information about setting up a subwoofer for my AV system. I've got a Yamaha unit running 5.1 and I want to see if it's possible to replace my existing sub with a Bluetooth one. The one I'm currently running is about twenty years old and not exactly aesthetically pleasing so I'm looking at replacing it with a Bluetooth one that can be hidden away more successfully. I've got a Panasonic one from my soundbar system that preceeded my new setup and was wondering if it's possible to link a Bluetooth system to my current AV box that has the sub running on a phono cable. 

Here's the sub I'm running at the minute and as you'll agree, it's seen better days. 

And its position, which shows said unappealing aesthetics. 

I'm really happy with the rest of the system, but would prefer to swap to the Panasonic sub as it sounds so much better than the Sony one and it could also be hidden away down the side of a sofa. I know I could do this with the Sony, but it would mean running another wire which I don't really want to do.

What, if anything, do you suggest?

Laugh, love, live, learn. 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 7745
    Quick off topic question. Would you recommend the Line 6 Amplifi TT?  Been thinking of getting one. 
  • breakstuffbreakstuff Frets: 10230

Yes,would recommend it @TheMarlin but only as a practice tool for using at home really. I've not really had chance to have a good play with it yet as the optical cable I've got it connected with has packed in and I need a new one. I have connected it to my amp, but there's so many tweeks to be done on the phone app that I spent more time twiddling than actually playing. When I've had the opportunity to use it through my AV system I've tended to stick to the controls on the unit itself which limits the twiddling and I've  got some pretty usable tones. Still unsure as to whether I'll keep it though, as I mostly still reach for my Yamaha THR10 when I just want to plug and play.

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33725
    A Bluetooth transmitter will have too much latency,
    You will need inbuilt wireless/BT at the AV receiver so it can time align the bass frequencies to the rest of the audio whilst keeping it in sync with the visuals.

What model AV receiver do you have?

I know Denon HEOS allows you to use wireless subs and or surround channels, but not sure about Yamaha.

Thanks @Axe_meister I've seen those but was just unsure as to whether they would do the job.

It's a Yamaha RX-V573 @octatonic ;

Quite an old unit, I bought it second hand earlier this year. I hadn't thought about any latency issues to be honest. Probably not compatible then. 

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33725
    Yeah, I don't believe that will work.
    You are looking at around £500 for a HEOS compatible AV receiver.
    Personally I'd run a wire under the carpet.
    octatonic said:
    Yeah, I don't believe that will work.
    You are looking at around £500 for a HEOS compatible AV receiver.
    Personally I'd run a wire under the carpet.

Thanks mate, was worth a shot. 

• TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 7745

Yes,would recommend it @TheMarlin but only as a practice tool for using at home really. I've not really had chance to have a good play with it yet as the optical cable I've got it connected with has packed in and I need a new one. I have connected it to my amp, but there's so many tweeks to be done on the phone app that I spent more time twiddling than actually playing. When I've had the opportunity to use it through my AV system I've tended to stick to the controls on the unit itself which limits the twiddling and I've  got some pretty usable tones. Still unsure as to whether I'll keep it though, as I mostly still reach for my Yamaha THR10 when I just want to plug and play.

I’ve got a few spare Toslink optical cables. Pm me your address, will get one in the post to you. 

Pm'd 

• Does it need to be on the floor? I'd probably put it on top of the cabinet in the middle. Even on it's side.
  • NO.....don't put a subwoofer on top of a cabinet.  Cable under the carpet is the easy solution.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Fair enough! 

Can I ask why not? 
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11813
    edited November 2019
    Fair enough! 

Can I ask why not? 
    Besides it wobbles? All the frequencies get lost through the cabinet.

ideally it should be on spike straight onto the hard floor. 

I think I'll probably look to upgrade next year for a newer one and run a cable. Thanks for the input guys.

• RockerRocker Frets: 4947
    I think it looks fine where it is.  If it works and integrates well with the smaller speakers, leave it as it is and enjoy the sounds.
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• Fair enough! 

Can I ask why not? 
    Besides it wobbles? All the frequencies get lost through the cabinet.

ideally it should be on spike straight onto the hard floor. 

Hmmmm....