Project Fuzz

What's Hot
Paul_CPaul_C Frets: 7672
edited December 2019 in FX

I like to think of myself as someone prepared to carry out pointless and often daft, tasks.

Recent pedal builds have mostly involved making fuzz pedals, and they're usually quite small, so I was thinking of combining a couple in one enclosure, but then I started wondering just how many I could fit into one if the enclosure was big enough.

The largest Hammond enclosure (that isn't also ridiculously deep) I've found so far is the 1590DD, which is 188mm x 119.5mm x 37.5mm (about as deep as my Alexander pedals) and it's only a tenner !

Based on some previous builds I reckon I could fit at least eight fuzz pedals in there . . . but should I ?

"I'll probably be in the bins at Newport Pagnell services."  fretmeister
2reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FuengiFuengi Frets: 2849
    No. Combine an Klon Klone with a DOD FX50B Overdrive which would take you from light boost, through overdrive into borderline Fuzz. It's what the world currently needs. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Don't listen to @Fuengi. Follow your dreams @Paul_C, follow your dreams and upload video evidence for us all please.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Paul_CPaul_C Frets: 7672

I have ordered the enclosure (tbh I'd ordered it before I finished writing the first post) :)

The other option is to only put one fuzz in it, but that might be too silly, even for me.
  • merlinmerlin Frets: 6598
    Do it, you sick MoFo.  ;)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited November 2019

The next question is . . . which fuzzes?

The place I get most of my layouts from has 364 fuzz layouts, though not all have been verified.

I've got all the parts and enclosures ready to build (IIRC) seven pedals as it is, but the more I think about this the more I like the idea, and if I'm honest I have almost as much fun planning, drawing layouts etc. as I do once the pedals are built, so I'm fairly sure this is going to get done one way or another.

• mgawmgaw Frets: 5239
    are you the same fella that builds dem Timmy pedals :)

heh - no.
  • soma1975soma1975 Frets: 6627
    Copy the Jam Pedals template

My Trade Feedback Thread is here

Been uploading old tracks I recorded ages ago and hopefully some new noodles here.
    0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    edited November 2019

I've been looking through the fuzz pedal list and found 24 possibles so far, so I might have to order a second enclosure

If I used one the size of that Jam pedals thing I could probably get 30 in :)
  • soma1975 said:
    Copy the Jam Pedals template

Or this VFE Pedals 'Megapedal' - 18 analogue effects including a patchbay for reordering/isolating any effect(s)

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • NelsonPNelsonP Frets: 3347
    "Paul, why did you do it, are you crazy?"

Paul - "Because the JHS Muffuletta only has 6 differrent fuzzes in a box. This has 2 more."
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • LebarqueLebarque Frets: 3755
    Eight fuzzfaces, just for shits and giggles.

Despite those two pictures revealing my clear lack of ambition in only putting a few fuzzes in what is proving to be a relatively small enclosure, I shall press on :)

I'm limiting myself to layouts that use a fairly small vero board, but that shouldn't mean they all sound the same - the biggest challenge is narrowing down the choices to the final few. Some are ones I've already got the parts for, which will help speed up the project and mean I'll have a number of unused enclosures for other builds.

The way I arrange my pedals on stands it will only take up the space of two but give me lots more choice of noise, which will be nice.
  • enjoenjo Frets: 250
    Paul_C said:

eight fuzz pedals . . . but should I ?

Um... that's not what an octave fuzz is.  
    Also yes, yes you should.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Right, I have whittled down my long list to a final eight (this will be revealed later, don't want to give away everything at once ;) ), although one is switchable between two very similar designs, so 8 1/2 in total.

Two of the eight layouts are already drawn out and their parts are here, so the next thing will be drawing layouts and making up a parts list. I've ordered quite a lot of components recently so hopefully it won't need an awful lot of extra bits and pieces, mostly unusual ICs and transistors.

Looking forward to this now :)
  • Lebarque said:
    Eight fuzzfaces, just for shits and giggles.
    Fuzz Factories, surely. 

The enclosure has arrived and more thoughts are popping into my head (as often happens).

Because I can (due me putting things on stands rather than the floor) I'm thinking of going with toggle switches instead of footswitches, which would mean I could use DPDT toggles (cheaper than footswitches) and not fit LEDs other than one to show the whole thing is on, as the switches themselves can show what's on or off.

Which would also mean fewer holes to drill and more room to fit everything else.

Current name for it, as a quick google doesn't throw up another with the same name and because the toggle switch idea came from my similar-sized Drone Thing, is FUZZ THING.

Here's a quick rubbish pic to give a vague idea of what might be possible.

httpwwwarrowheadguitarscoukpicsFuzzthingjpg

Still a lot more juggling to do, but I'm still at a stage where it "might" be possible to get all eight in.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Looking forward to hearing this  :)

I've got all the parts here to make a project V fuzz. Should be quite an interesting buid, if I ever get round to it. 

Small amounts of progress made - I've ordered pretty much all the parts I need now and I cut out some cardboard to see if all the boards can be fitted:

(You might be able to work out what's going in now ;) )

With the toggle switches pinned against the bottom and pots against the top (the first row at least) I reckon it's fairly doable, especially if I stand them up, so onwards !