Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Vegan guitar straps

What's Hot
Does anyone have any ideas as to where I could get a guitar strap that doesn't include any form of leather or wool etc?

Having looked online they seem either very expensive (for no reason I can fathom) or not actually leather free.

7reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• I would guess a dimarzio cliplock is a safe bet as they are seatbelt material and very hard plastic clips . Very strong too as Yngwie uses them and chucks his guitar round his back regularly 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • I have a few Planet Waves polyweb straps which I like a lot. They come in many styles, colours etc. All mine are the locking style. though they have 'regular' straps too. 

I sometimes think, therefore I am intermittent
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • The Righton ones seem to start at about £30, look nice. 

@hollywoodrox with the DiMarzios do you have to use a specific strap button? Seems a bit unclear in the page I looked at. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • The Planet Waves ones seem to have leather on the ends for the regular type. How do the locking straps work? I have Schaller things in the guitar at the moment (although the strap parts have long gone!)

the DiMarzio ones look good too - plenty for me to investigate - thanks all.
  • ftumchftumch Frets: 679
    Couch
    I have couple and really like them, extra cool factor too imho.

https://www.couchguitarstraps.com
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • xchrisvxchrisv Frets: 573
    The Planet Waves ones seem to have leather on the ends for the regular type. How do the locking straps work? I have Schaller things in the guitar at the moment (although the strap parts have long gone!)

These are cool: https://www.couchguitarstraps.com/
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14323
    guitar strap that doesn't include any form of leather or wool etc?
    Righton 
    https://www.rightonstraps.com/en/guitar-bass-straps-mojo

Vegan is exactly their USP.

I have seen a few of the cork ones at a local guitar shop. Nothing about the appearance of the products gives away the fact that they are not tooled and coloured animal hide.
    Be seeing you.
  • Couch guitar straps. They use recycled car seat belts.
  • WeZ84WeZ84 Frets: 154
    +1 on couch guitar straps
  • FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11496
    tFB Trader
    We stock lots of them and they are really nice too 

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

• SnagsSnags Frets: 5326
    The Planet Waves ones seem to have leather on the ends for the regular type. How do the locking straps work? I have Schaller things in the guitar at the moment (although the strap parts have long gone!)

The locking things are basically a rotating disk that changes the size of the hole the button goes through, and then latches in place. The design shown in @merciful-evans post has been changed recently to one that's a little flatter, and instead of having a push-button release and sharp-toothed wheel has a ridged slider that runs around the bottom edge of the strap end.

Apparently too many delicate guitarists were complaining the original designer hurt their wickle soft fingers. (I preferred it, but have got used to the new ones).
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • VaiaiVaiai Frets: 530
    Those RightOn straps are really nice! 
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14323
    Snags said:
    The locking things are basically a rotating disk that changes the size of the hole the button goes through, and then latches in place. 
    They work fine until some ham-fisted person borrows the strap and gouges up the plastic ends in a desperate attempt to operate the things. 
    Be seeing you.
  • Snags said:

The locking things are basically a rotating disk that changes the size of the hole the button goes through, and then latches in place. The design shown in @merciful-evans post has been changed recently to one that's a little flatter, and instead of having a push-button release and sharp-toothed wheel has a ridged slider that runs around the bottom edge of the strap end.

Apparently too many delicate guitarists were complaining the original designer hurt their wickle soft fingers. (I preferred it, but have got used to the new ones).
    I have one of these and while the locking function is great the fact that the whole end piece is rigid does help it to act as a lever and I found it was pulling the screws out like a claw hammer. 
  • Have a few Couch straps for guitar and camera - really nice so would also recommend
  • GuyRGuyR Frets: 1323
    edited December 2019
    Snags said:
    The locking things are basically a rotating disk that changes the size of the hole the button goes through, and then latches in place. 
    They work fine until some ham-fisted person borrows the strap and gouges up the plastic ends in a desperate attempt to operate the things. 
    I don't think the "ham-fisted" are really the target demographic 
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SnagsSnags Frets: 5326
    Snags said:

I have one of these and while the locking function is great the fact that the whole end piece is rigid does help it to act as a lever and I found it was pulling the screws out like a claw hammer. 
    Hrm, that's somewhat concerning. I'll check my guitars out. The newer versions are thinner and more flexible, although still essentially stiff plastic.

I've used them on a variety of guitars for quite a while now and haven't noticed any particular issues, unlike traditional strap locks on my Les Paul, where the strap lock screw wasn't as beefy as the original Gibson one, so eventually started to just pull out of the hole. Of course, since joining here I've learnt the answer to that (cocktail sticks and wood glue) but back in the day I just switched to a different solution.
  • The Righton ones seem to start at about £30, look nice. 

@hollywoodrox with the DiMarzios do you have to use a specific strap button? Seems a bit unclear in the page I looked at. 
    You remove the strap button and screw the clip in direct. They have two sizes for American type and import type guitars. Eg Fender /ibanez etc
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • phil_bphil_b Frets: 2010
    leather is best
    1reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom