NGD - Cornell Plexi 7

What's Hot
melodmelod Frets: 136
So, I bought a Cornell plexi 7 1x12” as I recently re-fell in love more British flavoured amps and wanted to share some thoughts.

I am not going to talk about its ability to give those overdriven Marshall sounds. Yes, it does that but they do go hand in hand with volume and most people don’t have the space or ears to handle them and Frankly I don’t see the point in trying to achieve that at super low volume... amp sims do that better.

What I actually wanted to point out is how I find this amp extremely musical in clean settings and quite sparkly. Maybe not Fendery sparkly but I think many underestimate how nice this type of amp sounds clean. 

There’s a lot of body and “class” in single notes, especially on those top strings ( and in lower volumes that is important).There is something authentic about this amp.

Now.... does a valve amp work at “bedroom” levels etc? Of course not! :) nor does a proper acoustic guitar too.

In my opinion, for the price, it’s a little gem. Looks good too.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• melod said:
    does a valve amp work at “bedroom” levels etc? Of course not! :) nor does a proper acoustic guitar too.

That's a fair point that is often overlooked. The principal reason I bought an electric guitar was that my acoustic is too loud to use (at least with a pick) at certain times of the day.
  • melodmelod Frets: 136
    edited December 2019
    melod said:
    does a valve amp work at “bedroom” levels etc? Of course not! nor does a proper acoustic guitar too.

That's a fair point that is often overlooked. The principal reason I bought an electric guitar was that my acoustic is too loud to use (at least with a pick) at certain times of the day.
    For quiet practicing there are some decent plug ins, even on an iPhone (although s-gear is my favourite). However, the quality of headphones is often overlooked there.

For acoustic sounds, the Yamaha silent guitar is pretty amazing. Maybe you should look into that.
  • melod said:
    melod said:
    does a valve amp work at “bedroom” levels etc? Of course not! nor does a proper acoustic guitar too.

For acoustic sounds, the Yamaha silent guitar is pretty amazing. Maybe you should look into that.
    Yes, I've seen those and it's a clever idea but I'm quite happy using my Tele unplugged or with my amp turned down low. I have a Strymon Iridium on order which I'm hoping will provide a good headphones option. 
  • I recently did a pub gig with just an AVRI52 Tele and a Plexi 7 1x10.  Sounded fabulous.
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14415
    I have the Cornell Romany Plus. Similar situation with saturation overdrive only arriving when the volume pot is cranked up. On the other hand, running into the Lo input socket, the Romany Plus becomes a superbly clean pedal platform. Room dimensions and reflective surfaces will have some influence on the sound. So, of course, will microphone choices.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    Could someone recommend me an overdrive pedal of some sort to essentially use it as a gain knob without changing  the amps character?

sorry was never into pedals and sorry if the above question doesn’t make sense :)
  • melod said:
    Could someone recommend me an overdrive pedal of some sort to essentially use it as a gain knob without changing  the amps character?

sorry was never into pedals and sorry if the above question doesn’t make sense :)
    A Klon Klone would probably work well. The RYRA, ARC Effects and Wampler Tumnus are my favourites.
    250+ positive trading feedbacks: http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/57830/
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    melod said:

A Klon Klone would probably work well. The RYRA, ARC Effects and Wampler Tumnus are my favourites.
    Thanks for this. I will try to hunt for one of those. The tumnus was on my radar already.

• melod said:

Liquid Sunshine works well with a Cornell front end.