Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Who upset him then?

What's Hot

Comments

• LoFi said:
    crunchman said:
    Thanks. Unfortunately it’s the only time I can go this month, it’s quite a drive from Manchester so me and a friend are doing it as a road trip plus catching up with some mates in the evening and staying in London.
    If Anderton's is mental, Guitar Village and the Epsom Guitar Guitar aren't that far away.
    Absolutely - if you're driving that far, the 20-odd minute detour to Guitar Village is well worth it.

Guitar Village is great, been there a few times!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • dazzajldazzajl Frets: 5730

To paraphrase what I've said before...congratulations to the people who managed to upset one of the nicest guys in the online guitar world. Pretty sure that must feel like a real victory.
    And, just to underline this, I just had a message from Pete saying he'd taken the post down because he felt bad about it.
    Really nice to see he’s what he appears to be and if he’s too nice up to stick two fingers up to the ignorant folks, I’m sure there are plenty that will do it for him. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • We would probably have people like Pete on the forum if certain members didn't feel the need to shit on everything they don't understand.
    We seem to upset quite a few people, Richard, Peach Guitars (John) and now Pete, any other retailers anyone ?
    “Ken sent me.”
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • We would probably have people like Pete on the forum if certain members didn't feel the need to shit on everything they don't understand.
    We seem to upset quite a few people, Richard, Peach Guitars (John) and now Pete, any other retailers anyone ?
    The list's quite long at this point. Some were justified (ie bad behaviour from the business, which the business tried to cover up), others much less so (or not at all), like Peach.
    <space for hire>
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12663
    I started writing a diatribe about old farts not accepting that someone can be 'famous' in Youtube land and can have significantly more influence and sway than the old guard of 'Guitar Heroes' - for better or worse.

But then I thought, "fuck it" - its easier to say, I agree with Pete.
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • Reflects well on the man to make contact about it in my opinion, good on him.
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
  • mixolydmixolyd Frets: 826
    Storm in a teacup.  So some people online said critical stuff that was objectionable, wrong or whatever....that’s just what happens on the internet! 

Pete’s probably just not used the the inevitable flak that comes from being well known online (musician or not) because he is more liked than some.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • ftumchftumch Frets: 681
    mixolyd said:
    Storm in a teacup.  So some people online said critical stuff that was objectionable, wrong or whatever....that’s just what happens on the internet! 

Pete’s probably just not used the the inevitable flak that comes from being well known online (musician or not) because he is more liked than some.
    Not at all a personal attack on you here but it's this attitude I just cant align with. It's like it's acceptable and expected that this behaviour is ok because its 'the internet'. The internet has given a voice to a wide range of people who really dont deserve to be heard.
    Again, not aimed at you.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom
  • There must be a few people on here, who are a little jealous? It must be nice to make a living playing with gear, making video's etc. Good luck to him, if only i could give up my day job and become a Lion Tamer or Accountant :) :) :)
    “Ken sent me.”
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6386
    There must be a few people on here, who are a little jealous? It must be nice to make a living playing with gear, making video's etc. Good luck to him, if only i could give up my day job and become a Lion Tamer or Accountant :) :) :)
    A Lumberjack ?
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • There must be a few people on here, who are a little jealous? It must be nice to make a living playing with gear, making video's etc. Good luck to him, if only i could give up my day job and become a Lion Tamer or Accountant :) :) :)
    Hell, yes. I'm sat here swapping messages with the guy, and I'm very definitely jealous of him. It's possible to be both jealous and nice at the same time :)
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • mixolydmixolyd Frets: 826
    edited December 2019
    ftumch said:
    mixolyd said:

Not at all a personal attack on you here but it's this attitude I just cant align with. It's like it's acceptable and expected that this behaviour is ok because its 'the internet'. The internet has given a voice to a wide range of people who really dont deserve to be heard.
    Again, not aimed at you.
    There’s a good reason for this attitude: who is to say what is and isn’t acceptable?  What is and isn’t accurate?  Either you let the free market of ideas work things out in a potentially messy and convoluted way or you have to police everything with a central power that will continually grow to meet demand until it is a great problem in itself.

You can’t have good ideas without bad ideas.  Without someone complaining about Pete you wouldn’t have someone else racking their brain to come up with an argument to refute their criticism.  Without that you wouldn’t then have debates about general conduct on the forum etc.
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9514
    edited December 2019
    Pete is (partially) right of course. There are a lot of people here who are unnecessarily rude about Andertons and I don't really get the point. Pete is a great player and he's made a great career for himself out of music. Well done. 

That said, I also remember when Andertons were cosying up to known scam artist Vertex effects and the defence was "oh, well, everyone at Andertons is far too busy to be reading social media so there's no way we could have known about any his scams"... Hmm. 
    Great post. 

It IS a two way thing - and Pete earns his living from this game, whereas most of us don't. But a LOT of people on here have bought stuff influenced by his videos, and his thoughts. TPS too - great power and responsibility and all that.

There is a cozy brigade (M4 mafia did someone once say ??), that support each other and earn incomes on the back of some of the people on this forum. Shouldn't be forgotten.

I like Pete and Andertons vids. Most of the time, I turn to Andertons first for online purchases of pedals.

Works both ways.

I won't lie, it hurts to see someone react like that (given that I run the site), but not as much as it hurt to see the wilful ignorance on display in that thread from a few folk. It's precisely that sort of thing which gives this place a bad name, and why it's often perceived as a site full of trolls by people who're actually making a success of themselves in the music business as it is today.
    And Lee is right here too...

We are so British at times on this site. Anything resembling the 'establishment' gets attacked... 

Hopefully, Pete does one of his smiles and moves on.

And thanks the good uns for helping to pay his wages maybees...
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • dazzajldazzajl Frets: 5730
    mixolyd said:
    ftumch said:
    mixolyd said:

Again, not aimed at you.
    There’s a good reason for this attitude: who is to say what is and isn’t acceptable?  What is and isn’t accurate?  Either you let the free market of ideas work things out in a potentially messy and convoluted way or you have to police everything with a central power that will continually grow to meet demand until it is a great problem in itself.

You can’t have good ideas without bad ideas.  Without someone complaining about Pete you wouldn’t have someone else racking their brain to come up with an argument to refute their criticism.  Without that you wouldn’t then have debates about general conduct on the forum etc.
    Everything there essentially makes sense to me. 

It’s still completely overridden by the simple fact there is never an excuse for being a dick. 
  • ftumchftumch Frets: 681
    mixolyd said:
    ftumch said:
    mixolyd said:

Again, not aimed at you.

While I dont disagree with any of that, theres also a very large proportion of mindless name calling and general wankery that doesn't fit into any of those boxes, normally designed to gain attention or elicit an angry response. It's a bit juvenile and theres too much of it imo. The empty can etc.
  • CeeJayCeeJay Frets: 455
    edited December 2019
    I have an internet mantra I live by. Never spout anything you wouldn't say  in person on a Friday night down the pub. It works for me. No one forces anyone to watch you tube, or buy purple pedals, so I just don't get the naysayers. 
  • robgilmorobgilmo Frets: 3436
    I dont get how if you put loads of videos on the internet you should get all bent out of shape when people talk about them, or you.

Or am I barking up the wrong tree?
    A Deuce , a Tele and a cup of tea.
  • ten77guitarten77guitar Frets: 1173
    edited December 2019
    robgilmo said:
    I dont get how if you put loads of videos on the internet you should get all bent out of shape when people talk about them, or you.

Or am I barking up the wrong tree?
    Imagine if you’re trying a guitar out in a shop and someone comes over and says, “you’re shit mate, you should give up”. Would that be okay?

I know that’s a different situation but the principle is the same isn’t it? Just because someone is promoting a product online do they become fair game and it’s okay to say anything, no matter how crass or insulting?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • bbill335bbill335 Frets: 1373
    if the worst thing said about someone online is "you're lame and the stuff you sell is cheap tat", you got off pretty lightly. i mean christ, that Mary Spender person got it worse in the same thread.
  • I think of the Internet as a free market economy. Whatever shit works, works. Everyone is open to abuse and everyone is open to react to that abuse. It’s completely value and moral-free. 
    Some folks like water, some folks like wine.
    My feedback thread is here.