An appeal for help after a dog attack (warning: a bit graphic)

What's Hot
digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26453
edited December 2019 in Off Topic
I spotted this on a friend's Facebook feed last night, and I couldn't help but simultaneously feel awful and angry about it. An on-lead Chihuahua pup was attacked by a much larger-breed dog, off its leash and, obviously, was badly mauled. I got in touch with the owner about it, because I've got some first-hand knowledge about head/neck injuries in Chihuahuas.

Here's the owner's account of what happened...

At 6.30am on Friday 29th November my Chihuahua puppy Marty was brutally attacked. We were on our usual walk around the Millennial Parks on Gleadless Road when a dog that looked like a dark German Shepard ran towards us directly outside the Sheaf View pub. Marty was on the lead, the other dog was not. The owner chased after his dog presumably knowing what was about to unfold. The dog grabbed Marty by the head and shook him wildly. When the owner arrived I screamed at him to get his dog to stop, he was reluctant to get involved and incompetent at handling his dog. After some time the dog released its jaws from Marty’s head. I wrapped him in my arms and took him home and straight to the emergency vet.

The left side of Marty’s face is completely destroyed and he has has lost his eye.

Even worse, the vet bill has already exceeded the maximum allowed by their insurance company, and the poor little bugger's still got a long way to go.

So...here's our chance to spread a little Christmas cheer...or, at least, help a family and small pooch get through one of the worst times. They've started a JustGiving page in the hope of getting a bit of help with the treatment - if you were thinking about donating to the forum's upkeep in the next month or two, please put the money here instead:

Please help Marty the Chihuahua with his vet bills

<space for hire>
0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Any chance he can sue the owner ? 
    “Ken sent me.”
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    They can't find the owner (that's a separate appeal on social media). Quite understandably, her primary concern was for her dog, so hanging around and getting details was secondary to legging it to the emergency vet.
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • tony99tony99 Frets: 7076
    Any chance he can sue the owner ? 
    at least get his dog taken off him
    Bollocks you don't know Bono !!
  • DB1DB1 Frets: 5024
    edited December 2019
    Oh, that's terrible. Poor little mite. Yes,done and chipped in - poor owners as well. Good to know that he's making a recovery, but some people (the other owner) shouldn't be in charge of a fucking TV licence, never mind a dog. I hope they find the owner. 
    Call me Dave.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • DB1 said:
    Oh, that's terrible. Poor little mite. Yes, I'll chip in - poor owners as well. Good to know that he's making a recovery, but some people (the other owner) shouldn't be in charge of a fucking TV licence, never mind a dog. I hope they find the owner. 
    And, sadly, their dog will undoubtedly pay the ultimate price for having a shitty owner. I know not all dogs can be rehabilitated, but the overwhelming likelihood is that irresponsible ownership led directly to this.
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
    They can't find the owner (that's a separate appeal on social media). Quite understandably, her primary concern was for her dog, so hanging around and getting details was secondary to legging it to the emergency vet.
    Hope she reported this to the police, i am guessing that it has happened before? Makes me mad when an owner cannot control their dog and takes no responsibility. Muzzle the dog , then muzzle the owner !
    “Ken sent me.”
    DB1 said:
    Oh, that's terrible. Poor little mite. Yes, I'll chip in - poor owners as well. Good to know that he's making a recovery, but some people (the other owner) shouldn't be in charge of a fucking TV licence, never mind a dog. I hope they find the owner. 
    And, sadly, their dog will undoubtedly pay the ultimate price for having a shitty owner. I know not all dogs can be rehabilitated, but the overwhelming likelihood is that irresponsible ownership led directly to this.
    I know. I know. It's very sad. 
    Call me Dave.
  • Jimbro66Jimbro66 Frets: 2418
    That's a dreadful thing to happen. Lee I've followed the link to the crowdfunding page but can't see how to donate. I asked my missus to have a look in case I was missing the obvious but she can't see how either. Maybe it's because I'm on a mobile? Any pointers to a 'donate here' button or similar?
  • Jimbro66 said:
    That's a dreadful thing to happen. Lee I've followed the link to the crowdfunding page but can't see how to donate. I asked my missus to have a look in case I was missing the obvious but she can't see how either. Maybe it's because I'm on a mobile? Any pointers to a 'donate here' button or similar?
    It should look like this....?

Maybe try from a desktop when you've got a minute, if it doesn't look that way. Could be a problem with their site.
    <space for hire>
  • NelsonPNelsonP Frets: 3347
    edited December 2019
    Horrible. We exceeded the limit on our pet insurance this year, so I know how that feels.

I've donated.
    Jimbro66 said:
    It should look like this....?

Maybe try from a desktop when you've got a minute, if it doesn't look that way. Could be a problem with their site.
    That’s weird, the Donate Now button and Share button don’t show at all on my Android mobile. I’ll do as you suggest and use the desktop when I’m back home.
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24209
    Done.  Poor little mite - he looks so sad :cold_sweat: 
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.
    Also chips are "Plant-based" no matter how you cook them.
  • Great work, chaps - thanks! Don't forget to share it around, though :)
    <space for hire>
  • This is awful :( 
    I'm absolutely skint but sent a little donation. 
  • spark240spark240 Frets: 2073
    Done !...and shared etc etc...Get well soon Pooch.

Mac Mini M1
    Presonus Studio One V5
     https://www.studiowear.co.uk/ -
     https://twitter.com/spark240
     Facebook - m.me/studiowear.co.uk
    Reddit r/newmusicreview 
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 18378
    Donated. I don't do social media but I have let friends & family know. Poor little bugger.

Done.
    Over half of it raised so far. That's great. Poor little chap though, I hope he gets spoilt to pieces for the rest of his life.
    Call me Dave.
  • DB1 said:

Always the same story dog will suffer. Owner will get a caution at the most. 
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22516
    Oh fuck, I kind of wish I hadn't looked at that, poor little thing.  But good to see they're well on the way to the target.