Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

10 Top PRS....or not?

What's Hot

Comments

• spark240spark240 Frets: 2082
    Ok,,,so the only thing in its favour so far is the ebony FB...plus there’s a chance that I could pick up the 10 Top LTD edition Version for almost the same money as the standard top with rosewood board,.

Google Peach or Music street for their semi Hollow Charcoal burst with trem and you’ll see the “ standard “ version.

Mac Mini M1
    Presonus Studio One V5
     https://www.studiowear.co.uk/ -
     https://twitter.com/spark240
     Facebook - m.me/studiowear.co.uk
    Reddit r/newmusicreview 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • KrisGeeKrisGee Frets: 1269
    The nicest tops I had on prs guitars I owned in the past were not 10 tops. Random example:

Regular top

10 top

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • spark240 said:
    Ok,,,so the only thing in its favour so far is the ebony FB...plus there’s a chance that I could pick up the 10 Top LTD edition Version for almost the same money as the standard top with rosewood board,.

Google Peach or Music street for their semi Hollow Charcoal burst with trem and you’ll see the “ standard “ version.
    The ebony fingerboard would probably swing it for me.  I am 51.9% sure that I prefer ebony to rosewood
  • tony99tony99 Frets: 7102
    if they really knew their maple they'd go up to 11
    Bollocks you don't know Bono !!
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Haych said:
    10 top owner here and I say no unless there is something else about that guitar you prefer.  Better weight, nicer neck or sounds better.  I have mine because the neck and fingerboard are nice.

As for looking like a bellend, once that sweet music leaves your fingertips to poke the audience in the earholes, they will not care what your guitar looks like.
    C'mon, the only audience members who care about what your guitar looks like are other guitarists!
    Aye, that is what I meant. And even within 'guitarists' there will only be a subset who care about how the guitar looks when it sounds amazing.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72239
    Haych said:

C'mon, the only audience members who care about what your guitar looks like are other guitarists!
    Actually you couldn't be more wrong about that...

Every time I've used a Rickenbacker guitar at a gig, I've been complimented on it by a woman - some of them even young and attractive. It can't be me or my playing :).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• When buying no
    when selling...... oh yes it does!!!!
    " Why does it smell of bum?" Mrs Professorben.
    KrisGee said:
    The nicest tops I had on prs guitars I owned in the past were not 10 tops. Random example:

Regular top

10 top

Orange Tiger ?

Mac Mini M1
    Presonus Studio One V5
    Reddit r/newmusicreview 
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14410
    Hidden drag on. ;)
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • There seems to be a general dislike of flame tops these days - though I’m out of step - I like them.

My view is if you like a one guitar over another - that’s the one to buy - regardless of how it’s top is categorised....
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • tekbowtekbow Frets: 1699
    I've a 10 top, but tbh when I bought it the dollar was like 1.7 to the pound, plus i was looking for the colour, and it was a McCarty Trem (my other criteria).

It just happened to be a 10 top.

If I'm being honest, most of the time it's hard to see it's any kind of flame.

Nice guitar though. Scratched my PRS itch. Wouldn't have another.

My preference is a semi hollow with trem...I have a 513 in Orange tiger which is great but I’d like a different colour finish, so I quite like the charcoal burst, ...there’s a couple to choose from ..

Mac Mini M1
    Presonus Studio One V5
    Reddit r/newmusicreview 
  • HaychHaych Frets: 5615
    ICBM said:
    Haych said:

Actually you couldn't be more wrong about that...

Every time I've used a Rickenbacker guitar at a gig, I've been complimented on it by a woman - some of them even young and attractive. It can't be me or my playing :).
    That’s what I’ve been doing wrong all these years, playing the wrong guitar. 

There is no 'H' in Aych, you know that don't you? ~ Wife

Turns out there is an H in Haych! ~ Sporky

Bit of trading feedback here.

• KrisGeeKrisGee Frets: 1269
    spark240 said:
    KrisGee said:

Regular top

10 top

Orange Tiger ?
    Indeed ;)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22708
    tekbow said:
    I've a 10 top, but tbh when I bought it the dollar was like 1.7 to the pound, plus i was looking for the colour, and it was a McCarty Trem (my other criteria).

It just happened to be a 10 top.

If I'm being honest, most of the time it's hard to see it's any kind of flame.

Nice guitar though. Scratched my PRS itch. Wouldn't have another.

I like that a lot, I think the darker, cooler (as opposed to warmer) colour tones down the blinginess of the flame maple.

My own McCarty (nowhere near a 10 top) is a dark green colour, I think it's called Evergreen, you can barely see the flame in some light.

I'm quite conflicted about the whole topic.  The "dentist guitar" thing has always annoyed me, I think flame - or quilt - maple is amazingly beautiful... but I'm not sure I want it on a guitar I'm playing.  Even though I'm never even going to be seen in public with it.

I'm much more comfortable with ash, which I also think is beautiful but somehow never looks blingy, no matter how highly figured it is.  Maybe because it doesn't have that 3-D effect?
    edited December 2019

I've never looked at it from the point of view of "dentists guitars" and it's not something I understood because I grew up exposed to PRS before "dentists" guitars was a thing. I remember quite a lot of artists using them.

My guitar teacher was actually Simon McBride's teacher, and he had a PRS Simon had got him an artist discount on, so the dentist guitar thing has never twigged for me.

That one is Teal Black, saw the colour in the 94 or 95 catalogue and that was the colour guitar I had in my head.

Another example is the EBMM EVH/Axis. To me, that guitar doesn't look right without a scrunched duvet quilt top. I play the crap out of those guitars at home, and certainly wouldn't be embarrassed to play them in public, I'd just be more worried about them getting damaged, being pretty rare examples.

When I say rare, I mean the colour on the PRS and the quality of the quilt on the axis.

Figured Ash? Do you mean the grain? I like the look of it too, and looks great in stained transparent or raw finishes.

Both Macpherson and McGuire do great examples of popped Ash bodies.

• Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22708
    "scrunched duvet quilt top".  I like that description.  :)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Philly_Q said:
    "scrunched duvet quilt top".  I like that description.  :)
    I think that was someone else description from the previous page :)
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11860
    Mine is a 10-top, 2011.

What qualify as a 10-top almost 10 years ago probably are like Artist Pack these days I feel.

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Like it or not....this is what m looking at...but possibly with a 10 Top and Ebony FB.

Mac Mini M1
    Presonus Studio One V5
    Reddit r/newmusicreview