Does Such An Amp Exist?

What's Hot
Duppy03Duppy03 Frets: 104
In either a small head or 1x10 combo format, 5-20w valve or hybrid (not modelling), with reverb, has a headphone out and can also be used without plugging into a cab if in head format for in the lounge noodling with headphones?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9654
    edited December 2019
    The Blackstar HT5? Not 10" but small overall size
    Vox Lil Night Train is probably a bit low wattage
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • The Mesa Mark V:25 does all that!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71956
    Many of the small Mesas do all that, as do most of the Blackstars in that power range.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• Duppy03Duppy03 Frets: 104
    I'd love a Mesa V:25 head but perhaps I should have added the budget is conservative, more affordable would be great.

So you can use the Vox Night Train and Blackstar heads without plugging into a cab? I tried to look this up and I couldn't find a clear answer but there were some suggestions of leaving it in Standby mode when using headphones and not connecting to a cab.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71956
    The Blackstars with headphone outputs can all be used with no cab - in fact, this applies to any amp with one or there would be no point otherwise!

With some, including most of the Mesas I think (certainly the ones I'm familiar with) there is a manual switch which needs to be set to mute the power amp, which is separate from the standby switch.

Most of the Blackstars seem to have switching in the speaker jacks themselves to automatically mute the power amp if there isn't at least one speaker cable in.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

The HT5r could be a winner then. Seems like it can do everything I need and plenty available second hand too.
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11670
    edited December 2019
    You could also look at a Boss Katana head, has a little praccy speaker built in, so does it all.

Edit - sorry says not modelling, but, still maybe worth an audition.
    We have to be so very careful, what we believe in...
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I'm not sure about the full sized Vox Night Train (does it even have headphone output?) but the Lil Night Train I had certainly didn't explode when I used it. I didn't have a cab for about 6 months after purchasing it so I'd have thought it would have exploded in that time if it was going to.
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
  • PC_DavePC_Dave Frets: 3396
    Blackstar HT20 Mkii head - 20 watts, line in, USB out, headphone out, DI out, sounds good, job done.
    This week's procrastination forum might be moved to sometime next week.
  • JeremiahJeremiah Frets: 629
    Laney L5 Studio
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Jeremiah said:
    Laney L5 Studio
    Superb, superb amp.
    Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
    Jeremiah said:
    Laney L5 Studio
    Good shout, forgot about those
  • dbphotodbphoto Frets: 716
    edited December 2019
    I have my Laney VC15 10” combo for sale on here @Duppy03 ;;

Can’t remember if it has a headphone out though!  Will look when I get home.
    The Blackstar HT1-R could be what I’m after although the clean sounds don’t sound all that inspiring from the demos I’ve watched.

The Vox Mini Superbeetle could also be just the ticket. I don’t need heavy gain chug.
  • Bluguitar amp 1
    www.maltingsaudio.co.uk
  • Bluguitar amp 1
    Nooooh! No-one here likes them. Which is good, because it keeps the second-hand prices down and I'll be looking for a spare in the New Year.
  • Bluguitar amp 1
    Nooooh! No-one here likes them. Which is good, because it keeps the second-hand prices down and I'll be looking for a spare in the New Year.
    It’s great to be an individual! Mine still amazes me at how musical and versatile it is as well as sounding great and then there’s the weight and size. 

www.maltingsaudio.co.uk