SCAMMER WARNING: Due to a spate of recent scam attempts (some successful) recently, if you're doing a deal in the classifieds, ONLY USE PAYPAL GOODS AND SERVICES UNLESS YOU KNOW THAT INDIVIDUAL PERSONALLY. It's really not worth saving a few quid.

F/S Gibson SG Special 1964 - £3,650 - KEEPING & GIGGING

What's Hot
stevie_the_spystevie_the_spy Frets: 86
edited January 2020 in Guitars £

Great sounding and playing guitar

Details Below:-

·         Recent refret – excellent job

Serial number: 173151

Construction year: 1964

·         Replaced bridge pickup with Seymour Duncan Antiquity P90 (looks like it may have had a humbucker at some point during its life but it had a house of tone P90 installed when I brought it)

·         Replaced Tuning machines with New Kluson Supremes (originals work fine and are included in the sale) direct replacements so no new holes drilled – more accurate for live use. (Photos have the original tuners installed but new ones on there now)

·         Replaced bridge with wrapover from Crazyparts, exact replacement, again this had a different bridge when I purchased it.

·         Hiscox case included along with the old cardboard one (bit of history there)

·         New nut when guitar was refretted by my tech and setup with 10-46 strings

Now that’s out of the way its otherwise all original and it sounds phenominal, I have a few posts on here for several items as I’m trimming down my gear after recently being made redundant and moving into music full time.

Any questions please don’t hesitate to PM me, many thanks for the interest.

Link to the sounds on YouTube, i rustled a little tone video together : 

7reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Not sure why there's lol responses...obviously it's a shame someone modded for a humbucker and the original pickup went walking, but it happens. After 50+ years it turns out some number will have been modded, had accidents etc. Still Honduran Mahogany and Brazilian Rosewood.

GLWS. I've got a '65 Junior which is the 64 specs that I got via Guitars4you...it's a cracking guitar. It's got the scars to show it's seen as much action as this one. It trades lap time with my reissue Les Paul happily (and for one of those Gibson want similar money anyway!)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Not sure why there's lol responses...obviously it's a shame someone modded for a humbucker and the original pickup went walking, but it happens. After 50+ years it turns out some number will have been modded, had accidents etc. Still Honduran Mahogany and Brazilian Rosewood.

GLWS. I've got a '65 Junior which is the 64 specs that I got via Guitars4you...it's a cracking guitar. It's got the scars to show it's seen as much action as this one. It trades lap time with my reissue Les Paul happily (and for one of those Gibson want similar money anyway!)
    Yep, there's always a few LOL'ers knocking about on here. It doesn't worry me, let them LOL.

I totally don't get what the LOL'ing is about as you say but i doubt those people will be buying it any time soon anyway.

It's a great guitar and as you say things happen over the years but it's all good now and a great example, puts it in a more affordable price point too. You can't imitate the sound of aged woods.

Enjoy the Junior, i used to own a 65 Junior too. Lovely Guitars
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • fretfinderfretfinder Frets: 5015
    edited December 2019
    Looks nice, love an old cherry Gibson. Good luck with the sale. 
    250+ positive trading feedbacks: http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/57830/
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • stevie_the_spystevie_the_spy Frets: 86
    edited December 2019

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Looks nice, love an old cherry Gibson. Good luck with the sale. 
    thanks
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Just seen a 62 at guitar guitar for just shy of 9 grand.

I'd feel a lot safer with the neck on yours.     :)

GLWTS
    When logic and proportion
  • Just seen a 62 at guitar guitar for just shy of 9 grand.

I'd feel a lot safer with the neck on yours.     :)

GLWTS
    they are rising rapidly, this is a great guitar and no issues at all. Plays great with new nut and refret. When i got it the frets were absolutely shot and obviously the nut needs replacement when refretting due to the higher frets.
     Bone nut has been installed.

This one has the wider nut too which makes it much more playable in comparison to the later models. 

In was nice to find one that Pete Townshend hadn't smashed up :-)

I played this again last night and I'm thinking maybe i'll keep it. I'll see how i feel over the next couple of days.
  • ExorcistExorcist Frets: 604
    I have a 61/62 special that is going to the grave with me. And in white - that Pete didn't smash, I did read that's one of the reasons they are so rare.. I don't know how much truth is in that but makes me chuckle.
  • Exorcist said:
    I have a 61/62 special that is going to the grave with me. And in white - that Pete didn't smash, I did read that's one of the reasons they are so rare.. I don't know how much truth is in that but makes me chuckle.
    DId you know at the time he smashed that many that he had to change to a different guitar as his tech couldn't find any more :-)

I restrung mine today and i think i'm going to keep it, they sound amazing don't they. I'm a big Robby Krieger fan and mines the same year as the one he used to record the doors. I also have a 67 standard with a maestro which i gig and they both sound amazing.

Glad you love your old SG Special too 
  • Bumpedy doo dah, bumpedy day 
  • youtube tone link bump - 
  • youtube tone link bump - 
    Sounds great! GLWTS
  • used this at a show last weekend and thought i can't sell this. So it's going to be gigged instead :-)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • If you love the sound and feel of it it's best to keep it
  • bgmartinsbridgebgmartinsbridge Frets: 2860
    edited January 2020
    That's a pity, I was just thinking of buying it - was considering the weight :-) 
    1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • fretfinderfretfinder Frets: 5015
    What was the asking price? Just for the record.  ;)
    250+ positive trading feedbacks: http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/57830/
  • That's a pity, I was just thinking of buying it - was considering the weight :-) 

I think it may have been a bit too heavy Brad
  • If you love the sound and feel of it it's best to keep it

I agree, it a great guitar. Sounds lovely at gig volumes would up a little 
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8701
    Price restored to thread title
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • hoopshoops Frets: 224
    Don't blame you for keeping it. Sounds great.