Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Another coffee machine thread!

What's Hot
I'm after recommendations for a new coffee machine. We currently have an old nespresso machine (must 5-10 years old). 
We use a moka pot, a french press and an aeropress as well. 
Truth be told I've never been bowled over by the nespresso machine, it's just easy for me to use first thing in the morning. 
My friend has a fancy bean to cup machine. We were looking at a sage nespresso machine to replace our knackered old one. I dont really want to spend more than £300. Have nespresso machines improved, I know some come packed with bluetooth technology (not sure why). After suggestions, ideally something with a milk frother as well.
If it's one thing i can rely on the fretboard for, its guitar related stuff, pictures of cats and dogs and coffee advice :)
I would love to change my username, but I fully understand the T&C's (it was an old band nickname). So please feel free to call me Dave.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• munckeemunckee Frets: 12255
    I've had two nespresso machines with frothers and both have been great.  I can't tell the difference between a nespresso and a coffee shop latte.  We have bought super market own version pods which fit the nespresso machines and I could really tell the difference then.

I would say only worth buying if you intend to buy the actual pods.

My in laws have a new one with different sized pods, all tastes fairly similar to me.
  • King85King85 Frets: 631
    edited December 2019
    I used a De'Longhi Dedica and a Krupps Burr grinder every day and have done for the past twoish years and rate both of them highly.

Come's in at under £200 allowing you to buy lots of delicious beans or some nice cups to use, I like the Le Creuset stuff personally and you can get three different sizes.
  • I find the one portion nespresso type machines quite repulsive.
    The environment impact for a cup of coffee! 
    We've used Moka types for years. Our current one is at least 5 years old. Just replace the gasket when it cracks (recycle) and you're away. 

Sorry to be a downer but I just don't understand why people buy the flashy complicated machines. All that material, plastic, energy, everything to replicate a moka pot. 
    If I had talent, I'd be talented.
    Red meat and functional mushrooms.
    Persistent and inconsistent guitar player.
    A lefty, hence a fog of permanent frustration

Not enough guitars, pedals, and cricket bats.
    USA Deluxe Strat - Martyn Booth Special - Electromatic
    FX Plex - Cornell Romany
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom
  • King85King85 Frets: 631
    edited December 2019
    FastEddie said:
    I find the one portion nespresso type machines quite repulsive.
    We've used Moka types for years. Our current one is at least 5 years old. Just replace the gasket when it cracks (recycle) and you're away. 

Sorry to be a downer but I just don't understand why people buy the flashy complicated machines. All that material, plastic, energy, everything to replicate a moka pot. 
    I've had a moka pot previously and personally I couldn't get it to ever taste how I liked it and hence why I purchased the Dedica (far from flashy and complicated). I completely agree with the awful amount of waste plastics produced by the pod style machines though.
  • FX_MunkeeFX_Munkee Frets: 2477
    Had a DeLonghi Magnifica for about 7 years, worked flawlessly. Gave it to a friend in the end, still going strong.
    Currently have a DeLonghi Autentica (1 year in), is working perfectly. Slightly quieter than the Magnifica and the coffee is slightly better IMHO.
    Working in games dev, where our main demands are coffee, pizza and occasionally being allowed to see the sunlight, I've seen a lot of coffee machines and the only ones that last more than 6 months are the Delonghi ones.
    Shot through the heart, and you’re to blame, you give love a bad name. Not to mention archery tuition.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • simonksimonk Frets: 1467
    We have a Sage Creatista Plus and it’s an excellent machine. Been using the Eden Project compostable Nespresso compatible pods exclusively for a while now and like them a lot too... just bung the used pods in the food bin
  • DrJazzTapDrJazzTap Frets: 2158
    FastEddie said:
    I find the one portion nespresso type machines quite repulsive.

Hey no offence taken, I'm not a big fan of the moka pot, I find it a bit of a spluttery mess tbh.
    I would definitely look into eco pods and we recycle the ones we currently use. 

I would love to change my username, but I fully understand the T&C's (it was an old band nickname). So please feel free to call me Dave.
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12314
    edited December 2019
    I wouldn’t touch Sage stuff with a barge pole. Overpriced style over substance. We bought a Sage “designed by Heston Blumenthal” toaster, slightly reduced because it was an opened box return. When I got it home it had no instructions so I googled for them ... whadya know, it’s actually made by Breville and you can get an identical one in Canada, with no HB affiliation, for about a third of the price. It looked very smart but started playing up after 18 months and completely died after 2 years. Every review on Amazon said theirs did exactly the same. 

We’ve got a Tassimo coffee machine. It makes tolerable coffee but if I want a decent cup then nothing really beats an old style Moka Express.  
  • I use a Gaggia Classic, and a Porlex hand grinder - the latter because I was too cheap to buy an electric burr grinder.

But I guess I bought it when the pound was much stronger against the Yen ... given the price of that Krups recommended by @King85. ; But at least I now have forearms of steel.
    Trading feedback | FS: Nothing right now
    JM build | Pedalboard plans
  • I used to have a Rancilio Silvia and and Iberital MC2 grinder. I was always either choking the machine or getting brown piss. Sometimes the results were amazing though. If I could get a semi automatic which could approach the good shots I made then I’d be interested. 
    Some folks like water, some folks like wine.
    My feedback thread is here.
  • DrJazzTapDrJazzTap Frets: 2158
    Thought I'd necrobump this, I thought the nespresso machine had died (turned out numbnuts here didnt have it completely plugged in).

I ordered a delonghi eletta machine (mainly to cheer my partner up, some family stuff was getting her down).
    We have had it for about a month so far and wow it is incredible, granted I'm using it a lot more than her. We picked up a pack of sf bay coffee beans from Costco, and they appear to be a very ethical family run business so that's nice to know. 
    I need to google some coffee based cocktails. I'm donating the old (still working) nespresso machine to my artist friend. She has a couple of kids and was curious about the nespresso, so rather than dump a working machine I've said she can have it. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • vizviz Frets: 10647
    I don’t like strong coffee, it tastes like over-compressed digital music, so we just have an old bean grinder and a plastic tea strainer; put a spoonful of grounds into the strainer, strainer rests in the mug, hot water poured in, it makes a delicious cup of fresh coffee. Rinse the strainer, pour some fresh cream into the cup, yum. 
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • £300 will get you a grinder (1zpresso jx-pro) and, if you look hard enough, a second hand gaggia classic with a modified steam wand.

It'll last if you take care of it and make barista quality coffee. If a nespresso machine (which is coarsely ground coffee in a pressurised basket with no control over extraction) is as good as a local coffee shop, buy coffee somewhere else! 

Pressurised baskets are fine to start, but if you want a good coffee, get a good grinder and a non pressurised basket. 

If that sounds like a lot of work, it is - espresso is a hobby, not a quick, convenient way to get a drink. 

If you want quick and convenient, spent 50 quid on a decent hand grinder and use the French press and high quality beans. 
  • I was very disappointed with my mate’s nespresso. I intentionally tried a black coffee with no sugar from his machine and it pretty much matched the Gold Blend I usually drink. 
    Some folks like water, some folks like wine.
    My feedback thread is here.
  • I was very disappointed with my mate’s nespresso. I intentionally tried a black coffee with no sugar from his machine and it pretty much matched the Gold Blend I usually drink. 

That's worse than I'd expect, but not by much. 

They simply don't output espresso. They're very poorly made, too, tiny boilers that won't maintain a good temperature through the shot, tiny pumps that will fail, no milk steaming facility usually. 

Espresso is a pain in the arse, and I honestly can't recommend it for home use unless you're into coffee - the whole process. The most important part by far is the grinder, and not many people are ready to stump up £500-£1000 to get a half decent grinder, or £150 on a huge, ex-commercial one that needs new burrs and aligning. 

French press and filter coffee is much, much more doable. It is much easier to extract excellent tasting notes from unique origins, and you don't need such a fancy grinder - if you are flush, a 1zpresso jx or a wilfa svart will do it great, but otherwise a small steel burr or even ceramic burr will do. 

There is a sage filter machine that's very highly regarded by coffee snobs like me who want to wake up and have a very good coffee without loads of fuss. 

I use my espresso machine daily. I also need to crack the thing open to clean the solenoid and 3 way valve, check the pump, check for leaks and ensure the steam valve is seated properly. It needs descaling monthly on a blend of tap water and bottled water - I now just use tap, but it needs descaling every 2 weeks. I need to backflush weekly to remove coffee oils, and the shower screen and dispersion plate come off every couple of months for a full clean. 

My French press goes in the dishwasher and let's me use lighter roasted beans, and is easier to grind for. I don't have a great grinder for espresso, so I'm limited to dark roast and medium-dark beans in order to get a good extraction. I prefer light roasts in general, but I adore a milky drink first thing, to wake my taste buds up, ready for a more refined coffee in early afternoon. 
  • Some people have too much free time on their hands. 

I barely have time in the mornings to swig a mouthful of tea my wife made let's pfaff around cleaning,  grinding,  steaming coffee from a £500 machine. 

Probably should get up earlier. 

It's 10.20am and I'm still in bed.  Hmmm... need a coffee...
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Some people have too much free time on their hands. 

I barely have time in the mornings to swig a mouthful of tea my wife made let's pfaff around cleaning,  grinding,  steaming coffee from a £500 machine. 

Probably should get up earlier. 

It's 10.20am and I'm still in bed.  Hmmm... need a coffee...

Like I said, it's a hobby, and something I enjoy. The sooner consumers reject wank like cheap plastic nespresso machines, and instead realise there is a world of more affordable, wonderful quality coffee available that isn't a concentrate, the better. 

My favourite method is espresso purely for the involvement and challenge. The best tasting for me, every time, is pourover, but that somehow seems like more work... :) 
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8590
    Let’s get back to basics: decent roasted beans, freshly ground to a consistent size. The extraction method is what adds complexity. 

After years of trying different methods I bought a burr grinder. It takes 6 seconds to grind enough for one mug of coffee. Put into a cafetière with boiling water, and in three minutes you’ve got a decent coffee. Three minutes is also long enough to put bread and cereals on the table, and make tea for my wife.

Maintenance is limited to cleaning the grinder once a week, and putting the cafetière innards through the dishwasher.

The advice from my coffee supplier, who is sitting next to me, is that Nespresso machines are OK, but never use the Long button because it over extracts. Instead use Short, and add water from the kettle.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Roland said:
    Let’s get back to basics: decent roasted beans, freshly ground to a consistent size. The extraction method is what adds complexity. 

After years of trying different methods I bought a burr grinder. It takes 6 seconds to grind enough for one mug of coffee. Put into a cafetière with boiling water, and in three minutes you’ve got a decent coffee. Three minutes is also long enough to put bread and cereals on the table, and make tea for my wife.

Maintenance is limited to cleaning the grinder once a week, and putting the cafetière innards through the dishwasher.

The advice from my coffee supplier, who is sitting next to me, is that Nespresso machines are OK, but never use the Long button because it over extracts. Instead use Short, and add water from the kettle.

Exactly this. 

Although I hate nespresso machines on principle - delivering sub-par espresso-like drinks with a disposable machine. 

Your brew method is absolutely on point. Unless you're really into coffee, it simply isn't worth the hassle of a machine. 
  • Did I mention I bought a new machine a few months ago? My trusty Gaggia Classic was on its last legs after many years of daily use, so I got myself a Rocket Giotto Evoluzione R. Fantastic machine.

https://i.imgur.com/93qGFif.jpg
    0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom