New COPPA laws to come in on Youtube

What's Hot
RabsRabs Frets: 2608
in Off Topic tFB Trader
Does anyone else know about this?

Seems way OTT to me... Plus the rules don't really allow for any other option other than its for kids or not for kids... So I have a channel for my guitars.. That's easy just to mark as not made for kids.. BUT I also have a personal channel where I have all sorts of things uploaded.. Some of it really is there just for my family like vids of the dogs or of my niece.. They aren't made for kids yet if I mark my channel Not for Kids and YouTube decide it is for kids apparently you can get fined... So I am not sure what to do about that.. Anyone have any ideas on this?

Also and this doesn't effect me.. Apparently if you do mark your vids not for kids and you get revenue out of your videos, this new system will mean that you can expect to earn much less out of it.

This is Youtubes vid on the subject

And theres this guy who I watch sometimes.. This is his take on it..

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• skunkwerxskunkwerx Frets: 6877
    Yeh i see it come in in an email. 

I just marked all mine not for kids, and set the upload default
    to that as well. 

I guess you could mark individual videos during uploading as whatever is best suited.. though yeah, there is no inbetween. 

Like 18 or U lol. 
    The only easy day, was yesterday...
  • If you Mark it as kid unfriendly you can still be liable to a fine if they say it has stuff that would attract kids or if their algorithm marks it as friendly . It all sounds crazy. Plus you have all the copyright stuff if that is bought in where there will be no ‘fair use’ !
  • I dont think it's going to be an actual problem for many people unless you are already making kids content. 
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • AlexCAlexC Frets: 2396
    Wow! I have nothing at all useful to say - I'm just increasingky astonished at how these multi-million earning companies will just find yet another way to screw people over!
  • I think US law is the problem here not you tube.
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • goldtopgoldtop Frets: 6152
    If you mark your videos as "not for kids" to avoid chances of hassle, your views will presumably plummet because YT will also stop everyone with no YT account from seeing it.
  • goldtop said:
    If you mark your videos as "not for kids" to avoid chances of hassle, your views will presumably plummet because YT will also stop everyone with no YT account from seeing it.
    Hmm possibly, clearly youtube motivation is that if they disable all the account based features they are removing any chance that children can be tracked in any way via their service...hard to say if they will extend that to people not signed in as the only people who get cookie / browser data are youtube themselves. 
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ