0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• BebopperBebopper Frets: 129
    edited December 2019
    Also a Z-Wreck Jr coming (1:15)

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • MistyMisty Frets: 135
    edited December 2019
    Always been great amps, even older ones, and I never know why they're rarely discussed here. 

• hywelghywelg Frets: 4303
    Lusting after an EMS myself.
  • Nice

They are also cooking up a joint design with Alan Phillips of Carol Ann. Apparently coming out next year
  • I'd have one if I could afford one, but I'm happy with my old amps.
  • By jingo, that sounds good. I suspect it would be wasted on me though as I’d be playing it at low volume most of the time. 
  • I’ve owned a couple over the years.
    Maz jr and Carmen Ghia. Both superb amps.
    Be keen to hear the Z Wreck jr.
  • grungebobgrungebob Frets: 3320
    I don’t get it, it sounds quite unremarkable to me. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Modulus_AmpsModulus_Amps Frets: 2573
    tFB Trader

I don’t get it, it sounds quite unremarkable to me. 

I thought so too, lacks clarity around the bass notes and no spank in that video, perfect for instagram noodling though

I bet the Zwreck Jr with have both those things though
  • thought the Dr Z Joe Walsh was interesting but Sweetwater exclusive apparently 
  • MistyMisty Frets: 135
    Lacks clarity etc?....that's very surprising.

• TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7392
    edited December 2019
    I hd and gigged a Maz Jr NR - outstanding amp that improved my playing (no negative feedback is very revealing of your technique and timing!)
    Red ones are better. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • brooombrooom Frets: 1173
    you find lack of negative feedback on the power amp revealing of your timing? Can you explain how, I'd genuinely like to understand.
    I know it probably shouldn't feel like it has any effect on that but all I can say is that it very much did feel like that. 

Get in front of an amp.like that turned up loud and it feels like you get slammed in the face by your chord before you've even hit the strings. Maybe it's the lack of sag or compression affecting when the peak of the signal gets through by the tiniest amount of time or maybe it's something to do with the frequency response - but it was markedly my experience of moving to that amp. 

I've heard people who try a Maz or say a Matchless respond along the lines of "how the hell does anyone play that" when used to more.comoressed, gainy things so there's something going on. 
    Red ones are better. 
  • brooombrooom Frets: 1173
    Thanks man, it was a genuine question by the way. I know a lot of how an amp feels/reacts can affect our playing. Much like a different guitar can inspire a different way of playing as well.

My interest in your question, is probably related with the fact that I've had a Dr Z maz jr with a Dr Z 2x12" cab with celestion golds.

I found the amp had a fast response when playing clean, but definitely changed it's character (a lot more compressed) if you could crank it a bit. I never necessarily attributed the response of the amp to lack of negative feedback, but more to the combination of filtering on that particular type of circuit and el84s.

Still an interesting point of view. Thanks
    indeed, why it happens is entirely guesswork on my part. 

The Maz is a it of a bitsa by design - Vox power section, fender tone stack (kinda) , old marshall preamp, I think different parts of that have more or less impact on the end result depending how it's being used. 
    Red ones are better. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • hywelghywelg Frets: 4303
    Compression, or the lack of it coupled with clarity of the notes are what make an amp revealing of technique. Its usually related to the rectification type, plus the circuit gain that gives that squashy feel. And that sag helps make notes more even sounding (thats why some people use a compressor ) so if you aren't picking evenly it isn't revealed so much in the output.

Now both Matchless DC30's and all Maz's are valve rectified so you'd expect some sag, but they don't seem to much.
  • skayskay Frets: 392

Being primarily a tele through a vox player, I'm loving the Sweetwater demo of the new Z Wreck Jr, sounds like the perfect hotrodded AC15.

I gotta admit I'm very tempted...

With so many comparison web sites out there, how do I choose the best one?

• RiftAmpsRiftAmps Frets: 3137
    tFB Trader
    skay said:

Being primarily a tele through a vox player, I'm loving the Sweetwater demo of the new Z Wreck Jr, sounds like the perfect hotrodded AC15.

I gotta admit I'm very tempted...
    Finally! Both myself and @Modulus_Amps have been saying for years that an 18w version was needed. I want one.
    *I no longer offer replacement speaker baffles*
    Rift Amplification
    Handwired Guitar Amplifiers
    Brackley, Northamptonshire
    www.riftamps.co.uk

• skayskay Frets: 392
    @RiftAmps It's a good sign when another amp maker gets excited about a new model!

I love the simplicity of it, with just a single channel and no hi/lo inputs, no reverb or tremolo, just guitar straight through with a master volume to keep the police from my door. 

Thought it was 15 watts though, not that it makes any real world difference I guess, but I'm thinking that the greenback could also help to keep the volume manageable compared to a celestion blue for example...

With so many comparison web sites out there, how do I choose the best one?