Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

New from Boss, Waza-Air "amp in headphones"

What's Hot

Comments

• Bluebeard said:
    Genuine question, why buy this instead of say, an HX Stomp and an average set of headphones for £50??

I think it is because this uses 3d sound to recreate the feeling that an amp is in the room rather than the feeling that you have your head sandwiched between two cabs that you usually get using headphones
    I don’t really understand why that is a benefit? 
    It sounds like the amp is in the room and not next to your ear, bit like virtual reality for your lug holes. Having listened to binaural recordings you do spend a lot of time thinking ooh that's clever but I guess you'd get used to it and it should be less fatiguing. I don't think it's uncommon to find playing through an amp in a space okay for long periods of time but find it unpleasant through headphones quite quickly so this should fool your brain into thinking you are in a space. That's how I understand it anyway.

Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Bluebeard said:
    Genuine question, why buy this instead of say, an HX Stomp and an average set of headphones for £50??

I think it is because this uses 3d sound to recreate the feeling that an amp is in the room rather than the feeling that you have your head sandwiched between two cabs that you usually get using headphones
    I don’t really understand why that is a benefit? 
    It sounds like the amp is in the room and not next to your ear, bit like virtual reality for your lug holes. Having listened to binaural recordings you do spend a lot of time thinking ooh that's clever but I guess you'd get used to it and it should be less fatiguing. I don't think it's uncommon to find playing through an amp in a space okay for long periods of time but find it unpleasant through headphones quite quickly so this should fool your brain into thinking you are in a space. That's how I understand it anyway.

I know he gets a lot of (unnecessary) hate on here but you can see in the Andertons video by the look on Chapper's face that he is genuinely overwhelmed by the effect.
  • Waaaaaay too expensive for mere mortals . They’re having a laugh
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12665
    impmann said:

Because Katana. 

<nods>

;-)
    Yep nope

because forum rules state Helix  Silence>Katana. 

FTFY
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8537

Am I the only one finding this thread hilarious yet frustrating.

LoL those who want it for £100 - go buy a pair of Vox AmpPhones as the product you will  get at that price already exists.

I've had loads of "Sofa" solutions, such as plugging in a Helix Stomp with headphones, but it is a faff and a tangle of wires (Mains / Guitar / Headphones) for a short strum. This solves that issue.

And absolutely, 100%, they've identified the problem with Headphone playing and that is the "space", or lack of - the room mic sims on my OX take it to another level. This is doing a similar, yet more sophisticated thing.

I can't comment on how it sounds in person, and is a bit spendy, but this is a unique product with some neat tech in it.

Stop yur moaning.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 14reaction image Wisdom
  • I don't think this is too expensive, to replicate this you would essentially need an amp modeller and two low latency wireless systems and some good headphones. I don't think that can be had for less than £400 and even then it's less convenient. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Also it is probably worth noting that this is branded in Boss' pricey group of products "Waza".
    I wouldn't be surprised if they release a cheaper version branded Katana in a year or two.
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 6795
    dindude said:

LoL those who want it for £100 - go buy a pair of Vox AmpPhones as the product you will  get at that price already exists.

I've had loads of "Sofa" solutions, such as plugging in a Helix Stomp with headphones, but it is a faff and a tangle of wires (Mains / Guitar / Headphones) for a short strum. This solves that issue.

And absolutely, 100%, they've identified the problem with Headphone playing and that is the "space", or lack of - the room mic sims on my OX take it to another level. This is doing a similar, yet more sophisticated thing.

I can't comment on how it sounds in person, and is a bit spendy, but this is a unique product with some neat tech in it.

Stop yur moaning.

Spot on. The advantage for me is no power or cables needed- so I can practice in the car/hotels, etc with just this and a travel guitar. Ive ordered one, will feedback my thoughts when it arrives.
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Are that that many chronically uncoordinated people that can’t play guitar wearing wired headphones???

This is solving a problem that really doesn’t exist. 
    " Why does it smell of bum?" Mrs Professorben.
  • WeZ84WeZ84 Frets: 165

The Andertons demo is quite impressive. There's definitely some great tech in there.
    For a quiet practice solution they look great. I'm tempted but would like to give them a try first.
    edited December 2019
    Are that that many chronically uncoordinated people that can’t play guitar wearing wired headphones???

Wearing wired headphones plugged into what? Directly into their guitar? The problem might not exist for you, but might for others - looks an ideal solution for my needs.
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
  • Are that that many chronically uncoordinated people that can’t play guitar wearing wired headphones???

Watch the video, it's less about the headphones and more about the tech
  • dbphotodbphoto Frets: 716
    As soon as they are available to try at my local GuitarGuitar I will be doing so, and as they seem to solve a very real (annoying) problem for me I will more than likely buy a pair.
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2896
    Are that that many chronically uncoordinated people that can’t play guitar wearing wired headphones???

It seems to be solving the “amp in the room” problem or a sense of space when playing with headphones, which definitely does exist. Yeah you could get a Stomp and decent pair of headphones for about £400 but then you have to plug it all in each time and have a mess of cables, power etc. This is a nice simple solution. If it sounds good that is. 
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4980
    mrkb said:
    dindude said:

Stop yur moaning.

Spot on. The advantage for me is no power or cables needed- so I can practice in the car/hotels, etc with just this and a travel guitar. Ive ordered one, will feedback my thoughts when it arrives.
    You may still need a charging setup for those devices.  Or a supply of batteries.

A lot of comment on how expensive they are.  To save me looking it up myself, would those that did reveal the price here?  Thanks
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • andypandyp Frets: 332
    I think it looks great. From my post above, it’s not that I meant it’s too dear, it’s obviously very good and a unique product. It’s just I can’t justify a £380 kind of purchase on something like this at the moment. I’d love one though.

If I can get a chance over the holidays to try one, I’m keen to test one out.

• ArchtopDaveArchtopDave Frets: 1368
    edited December 2019
    I think those expecting something like this to be only 100, or 200, quid at the present time are being unrealistic in their expectations. A straightforward Boss Wireless Guitar System currently sells for £160. If, as above, you add on £100 for the Headphones themselves, then you're already at £260 without adding in any other cost of the other bits and pieces in the system and the tech development. Additionally, as @Bluebeard noted, it is part of Boss's premium Waza brand, so hopefully it should have better quality components.
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30290
    If they're headphones how come we can hear them on YouTube?
    Sassafras said:
    Absolutely no idea, its not like you'd find out by actually watching the video is it!?!??
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • mrkb said:
    Sassafras said:
    Absolutely no idea, its not like you'd find out by actually watching the video is it!?!??
    If you pay attention whilst watching the video, there is an explanation at one point.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom