Very handsome MIJ telecaster at richtone

What's Hot
Just spied this very nice looking 80s MIJ tele at richtone. 
I'm quite tempted but as the body is in a bit of a rough state what do we think about the asking price? Don't know loads about the 80s MIJ fenders although I have two CIJ Jaguars from the late 90s which aside from electronics are absolutely fantastic.

https://www.richtonemusic.co.uk/product/fender-telecaster-mij-1986-black-2nd-hand-yfender93996/
1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• impmannimpmann Frets: 12665
    Thats a 'Pop' model - ie the bottom of the pile one, without through stringing and pickups that will double as microphones.  I had one back in the day and it was "alright" but only once I'd replaced the pickups. 

As for the price... hmmm, I'd say you'd do better with a Mexican for less.
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14424
    Reminds me very much of my Squier Silver Series Telecaster. (Same toploader bridge and Gotoh ‘heads.) Nice playing guitar. Stock pickups and electronics may leave something to be desired.

Not sure about that asking price.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Ah fair enough - If I really want an all black tele I'd be happier to pick up a used squier and mod.
  • It just really caught my eye!
  • I’ve played it and it’s a dog. It was so bad I actually tried it a second time to make sure I was right and I thought it was even worse the second time! I’m not surprised no-one has bough it yet - it’s been in the shop quite a while.
  • That's a real shame it looks beautiful. The prices are usually pretty good on there it seems.
  • That's a real shame it looks beautiful. The prices are usually pretty good on there it seems.
    Yeah they sometimes get some decent stuff in and prices aren’t bad for a dealer. You had a lucky escape there though believe me.
  • Haha good to know! I wouldn't have bought blind from rich tone anyway they're only 20 mins from my office. 
    Nice ibanez chorus pedal on there - If only I wasn't utterly in love with my 20 quid behringer chorus....
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14424
    I have two CIJ Jaguars from the late 90s which, aside from electronics, are absolutely fantastic.
    If you had the funds to buy the 1986 Telecaster, these might be better invested in pickup upgrades for your Jaguars.

For instance, professional quality single coil for the neck/Rhythm position. Hot Rails for the bridge/Treble.

Just make certain that the replacement pickup baseplates will slide into the routed cavities. (Duncan QPs do. Some of the Li’l ‘buckers will not.)

Bare Knuckle Pickups Johnny Marr model would be interesting … if you can obtain them.

You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • Yeah they've both had many pickup swaps over the years. Funnily enough my main player has duncan designed Squier jag pickups in it at the moment - For me they outperformed the Antiquities and the Quarter Pounders. 
    The other Jag has V Mods which aren't half bad but still don't stand up to the squier pickups :astonished: 
  • I have two CIJ Jaguars from the late 90s which, aside from electronics, are absolutely fantastic.

Bare Knuckle Pickups Johnny Marr model would be interesting … if you can obtain them.

These would be very interesting indeed - Super low output I believe but seem to work perfectly for pretty much everything
  • EpsilonEpsilon Frets: 615