SCAMMER WARNING: Due to a spate of recent scam attempts (some successful) recently, if you're doing a deal in the classifieds, ONLY USE PAYPAL GOODS AND SERVICES UNLESS YOU KNOW THAT INDIVIDUAL PERSONALLY. It's really not worth saving a few quid.

WTB: Slides

What's Hot
What have you got?

I'm looking to learn slide guitar and don't know what type (or even size) I want. I'm hoping someone has got a selection they're looking to move on to save on postage, as I'm after half a dozen to try.

Thanks!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14412
    Tricky. Slides are highly personal. They need to produce the right tone to suit your chosen musical equipment and style(s). They need to fit your digit(s).

The only real test is to take your fretting hand to a decent guitar shop. They should have a wide selection of diameters, lengths and materials you can check out.

My default choice is a replica coricidin bottle. Some things sound better with a steel tube. I have a heavy brass tube worthy of the Great Train Robbery. This gets little use. Ceramic is less noisy than metal or glass but, as a result, may lack character.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Yeah all of the above. You need to decide which finger will be your slide finger then experiment with width and length. Personally I've settled with diamond bottleneck slides which are outstanding but you really need to narrow down your size  requirements first then experiment.
  • stuagustuagu Frets: 334
    I’ve picked up a few slides over the years.... and I’m never going to Be able to play it. If you like I can send you what I have to try ? If you like em keep em, if you don’t pass em on to someone else and stick a couple of quid in the cancer search shop? 
    0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I have a Dunlop number 222 brass that I can send you. If you PM me your address I’ll pop it in the post. You can make a small donation to charity or not, up to you

After some experimentation I have ended up using a fairly short glass slide on my middle finger. It’s not ideal but my wrist really doesn’t want to come round to accommodate a full-length slide
    This is the truth from hillbilly guitars!
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • bennyg85bennyg85 Frets: 64
    Somehow managed to miss the notifications from this post. Very sorry for not getting back to two very kind offers.

I will PM you both now. Thanks!
  • hotpickupshotpickups Frets: 1819
    edited April 2020
    If they don’t work for you I can thoroughly recommend RockSlides. With the cutaway on them really helps. Just got to find the right size for you though. 
    Link to my trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/59452/
  • RickLucasRickLucas Frets: 401
    I would say focus on learning how to do it before you buy a load of slides. Get a wide fitting one and pack it out to fit. You'll only get to know what works for you when you can play a bit. Get your damping and vibrato right, then jump down the rabbit hole of glass versus brass versus ceramic versus chrome versus tapered etc. Good luck!
  • bennyg85bennyg85 Frets: 64
    @stuagu @chromatuna do you still have the slides? Thanks!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • chromatunachromatuna Frets: 367
    I don’t @bennyg85 this was several years ago
    This is the truth from hillbilly guitars!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Still looking for some different ones to try. Thanks