Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Swings and roundabouts

What's Hot
RockerRocker Frets: 4947
I don't like finding fault with young people but we seem to have list something over the last twenty or so years.  During the week my wife took the train to Dublin.  It is close to an hour and a half from the Midlands to Dublin by train, when she boarded the train was overfull and there were no seats available.  Standing room only.  My wife was unhappy to see elderly people forced to stand on the train while a large number of seats were occupied by young people.  A lot of them of student age.  In our day, it was part of our culture to give up your seat if an older person needed it or had no seat.  Not any more.  It is sad to think that for all the educational opportunities young people have, simple courtesy and manners is no longer ingrained into their heads.  Of course their parents are ultimately to blame for this situation.  I appreciate that students are under great pressure to attain high marks in their studies but a little consideration for others costs nothing and will increase their feel good factor.  And help those of us who are suffering from stiff and sore joints and who could do with a few minutes sitting down on the train.
Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Okay boomer.

Bye!

10reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • skunkwerxskunkwerx Frets: 6838
    People in general these days are fuckups. 

Since my my mums started walking with crutches or a stick, she's noticing how many people push past her or refuse to deviate slightly in their path. 

Though once I held a door for a woman in my previous job, and she had a go at me for it, right in front of the manager. 

Said she could do it herself and didnt need help. 
    She was a right fat old cunt. 

The only easy day, was yesterday...
    8reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • robgilmorobgilmo Frets: 3359
    Their parents are largely to blame? The same older people who give up their seats gladly?

I dunno, perhaps younger people are a bit pissed off at us for leaving their planet in such a mess.
    A Deuce , a Tele and a cup of tea.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26460
    edited December 2019
    For a bit of balance, though...I've talked quite a bit on here about my wife's spinal problems and the sciatic pain she's in constantly. We were in Boots a couple of months ago, and she was in quite a bit of pain and obviously limping. A woman in her late-60s (rough guess) was walking along towards us, and my wife tried to move out of my way, somewhat hampered by the fact that she was already next to the shelves. The old woman, clearly seeing us right there, just shouldered her out of the way, almost knocking her over. She seemed somewhat surprised when she walked straight into me, because I just didn't move.

I let her know in no uncertain terms that she was in the wrong, given that she should have just taken a step to her left, but her response was, "I'm old, you young people should move out of my way", and she was totally shocked that someone had the temerity to pull her up on the fact that she literally just shoulder-barged someone out of her way when they were clearly struggling.

So yeah...it's not just young people with appalling manners and and lack of empathy. I propose a new category, which come in all ages: "assholes".
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 8reaction image Wisdom
  • AlexCAlexC Frets: 2396
    I don't think this lack of empathy is an age thing at all - I observe it's how Britain is now. Personal space has disappeared. Manners have disappeared. I think much of England is just incredibly overcrowded. People are fighting for space all the time. It leads to crashing around in a bullish manner with shopping trollies and road rage, etc.
    Also - you need to consider the 'mind your own business' culture. People don't want to get involved for fear of recrimination. You see a small girl crying in the street and you're a guy in his forties and you approach her to see what's wrong and someone is immediately shouting "pervert" or some such. And the old joke of the young man offering the lady his seat because he thinks she's pregnant and it turns out she's just fat.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    AlexC said:
    I don't think this lack of empathy is an age thing at all - I observe it's how Britain is now. Personal space has disappeared. Manners have disappeared. I think much of England is just incredibly overcrowded. People are fighting for space all the time. It leads to crashing around in a bullish manner with shopping trollies and road rage, etc.
    Also - you need to consider the 'mind your own business' culture. People don't want to get involved for fear of recrimination. You see a small girl crying in the street and you're a guy in his forties and you approach her to see what's wrong and someone is immediately shouting "pervert" or some such. And the old joke of the young man offering the lady his seat because he thinks she's pregnant and it turns out she's just fat.
    In fairness, the shouting pervert thing, its a good thing, it means the exact opposite of what you are describing.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Increasingly, people are offering me a seat on London tube trains
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3576
    Years or decades ago people still remembered the Victorian principles of old. They also were still influenced by the old pre war class subservience that their parents knew. 
    We are several generations on from all that and mainly for the better. Now the influence of urban gangsta and their invented language or principles is quite noticeable in modern society. I'm not sure there is a plan or anyone in control, but society overall is very different.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    Do we even have a ''society''? Im not sure we have ever had a society.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • phil_bphil_b Frets: 2010
    older people used to be more highly regarded and I think technology has a lot to do with that. it used to be the case it took people years to accumulate skills and knowledge. being older in the past generally meant you knew more. now knowledge is just a google search away and older people get increasingly out of date with current technology. this means as we get older we get less useful to the younger generation compared to past decades and as a consequence receive less respect. it seems now you are only respected if you managed to accumulate wealth.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • breakstuffbreakstuff Frets: 10229
    edited December 2019
    phil_b said:
    older people used to be more highly regarded and I think technology has a lot to do with that. it used to be the case it took people years to accumulate skills and knowledge. being older in the past generally meant you knew more. now knowledge is just a google search away and older people get increasingly out of date with current technology. this means as we get older we get less useful to the younger generation compared to past decades and as a consequence receive less respect. it seems now you are only respected if you managed to accumulate wealth.

And still the (and I mean a large proportion, not the whole) population gets even more stupid than ever. 

Laugh, love, live, learn. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I think older people complaining about the manners of younger people has been going on forever. Young people tend to be more self centred and less aware of the needs of others or less certain what to do about it but that’s normal development. Innit bruv. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
    phil_b said:
    older people used to be more highly regarded and I think technology has a lot to do with that. it used to be the case it took people years to accumulate skills and knowledge. being older in the past generally meant you knew more. now knowledge is just a google search away and older people get increasingly out of date with current technology. this means as we get older we get less useful to the younger generation compared to past decades and as a consequence receive less respect. it seems now you are only respected if you managed to accumulate wealth.
    I think you are right, younger people used to be seen as stupid and naïve which they may well have been, nowadays thats just not the case, if anything the tables have completely turned and its the older generation that are clueless, except they/we just dont see it.. 
  • Okay boomer.
    You're such a fucking dickhead !
    3reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom
  • Okay boomer.
    You're such a fucking dickhead !
    Okay boomer.
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • phil_b said:
    older people used to be more highly regarded and I think technology has a lot to do with that. it used to be the case it took people years to accumulate skills and knowledge. being older in the past generally meant you knew more. now knowledge is just a google search away and older people get increasingly out of date with current technology. this means as we get older we get less useful to the younger generation compared to past decades and as a consequence receive less respect. it seems now you are only respected if you managed to accumulate wealth.

And still the (and I mean a large proportion, not the whole) population gets even more stupid than ever. 
    Genuinely curious here - what’s your baseline to compare against?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33725
    Whenever someone barges into me I say loudly ‘excuse me, but I think you just burst my colostomy bag’.
    It gets a reaction.
    8reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • phil_bphil_b Frets: 2010
    phil_b said:

Genuinely curious here - what’s your baseline to compare against?
    just my own experience really. I am 48 so the internet and mobile phones was not part of my life until my 30s. that should of been an age when I started to compete for more senior positions at work but all my experience and technical knowledge that should have put me ahead of younger colleges became obsolete. that natural progression of time served no longer applied. I see it now with older customers who order internet services but don't have the first clue how to use it. They want me to spend time setting things up and showing them how to use it. But that is time that I don't get paid for and I cant afford to do that. older people now are at a disadvantage when it comes to technology. This now degrades their social status. when I left school there was more of a tendency to look up to your elders. they were the generation that went through and won WWII. They had skills it would take me years to master. If you respect someone you tend to treat them better. today younger people the their elders as out of touch dinosaurs. The establishment (powers at be) are currently not respected as they seem to making a mess of our political system to the point the whole system is now under question.
  • Real talk.

Jimmy Saville wasn't a hip 17 year old with a baseball cap and hi-tops listening to Drake on repeat and sharing memes.

No. He was a paedo cunt.

Politeness and not fucking kids is not the sole preserve of the elderly and the infirm.

Bye!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • AlexC said:
    2 cents here. People in general are more tired, skint & socio-economically challenged and they can't deal with it properly when consumerism and "striving" are shoved in their faces constantly. 

Right leaning societal messages are also emboldening ye old upper class British cruelty that didn't seem so rife during the Labour years. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom