Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Swings and roundabouts

What's Hot

Comments

• phil_bphil_b Frets: 2010

2 cents here. People in general are more tired, skint & socio-economically challenged and they can't deal with it properly when consumerism and "striving" are shoved in their faces constantly. 

Right leaning societal messages are also emboldening ye old upper class British cruelty that didn't seem so rife during the Labour years. 
    and they call it progress
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • phil_b said:

2 cents here. People in general are more tired, skint & socio-economically challenged and they can't deal with it properly when consumerism and "striving" are shoved in their faces constantly. 

Right leaning societal messages are also emboldening ye old upper class British cruelty that didn't seem so rife during the Labour years. 
    and they call it progress
    Unfettered greed, selifishness and maintenance of privilege have allways been ugly.
    When logic and proportion
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30290
    I blame Rap and Heavy Metal.
  • People in general are more tired, skint & socio-economically challenged and they can't deal with it properly when consumerism and "striving" are shoved in their faces constantly. 
    Don't stop there. Whilst you're saying things that literally fly in the face of all historical record, you might as well go the whole hog!

Bye!

• There might be lots of knowledge in the interweb but there's as much (if not more) bullcrap so it cancels itself. 

• RockerRocker Frets: 4980
    Interesting to note that a number of respondents are reasonably closely aligned to my way of thinking on the issue I raised in the OP.

And at it's kernel is how we perceive and interact with each other.  I believe that ones core values are ingrained in the home.  When I was a child, my siblings and I were instructed to always offer our seats to an adult if there was no other seat available.  That was how it was.  Over the years I discarded many of my parents views that did not reflect my thinking but those core values never changed.  From my wife's observations on the train, I can only conclude that children raised this century and at the end of the last century, were not given guidance on how to behave by their parents.
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Rocker said:
    Interesting to note that a number of respondents are reasonably closely aligned to my way of thinking on the issue I raised in the OP.

And at it's kernel is how we perceive and interact with each other.  I believe that ones core values are ingrained in the home.  When I was a child, my siblings and I were instructed to always offer our seats to an adult if there was no other seat available.  That was how it was.  Over the years I discarded many of my parents views that did not reflect my thinking but those core values never changed.  From my wife's observations on the train, I can only conclude that children raised this century and at the end of the last century, were not given guidance on how to behave by their parents.
    Their parents are your generation. 

I find these "state of the youth of today" posts absolutely hilarious, because they're always posted by the people who are directly responsible for raising the youth of today. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • Okay boomer.
    You're such a fucking dickhead !
    By using a word that the boomer generation have used to describe themselves for decades?

Okay.

Bye!

• tony99tony99 Frets: 7106
    the people who parked on dropped curbs do my head in, yeah the dropped curbs that are supposed to make it easier for wheelchairs and motibility scooters, or those pushing perambulating baby carriages, then some arsewipe decides to park on it blocking the whole thing
    Bollocks you don't know Bono !!
  • Because the ways of the older generations before us have led us to such a good state of affairs presently... The culture that started off the wild rabid consumerism and therefore selfishness of people today started when today's pensioners were young, or maybe they were involved? So perhaps it's a case of reaping what was sown!

For the record, I never sit down on trains as the seats are disgusting so I avoid having to give up my seat
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12352
    I see far more impolite disrespectful pensioners and older people with a sense of entitlement than younger people who I generally find to be polite. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • NiteflyNitefly Frets: 4912
    And here we go again with the frankly ridiculous generalisations. :p

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I know lots of elderly people who vilify anyone less well off than them and voted conservative as they loved, thatcher, Cameron, may or Boris  even the poorer ones will look down on homeless /beggars , unmarried mums , foreigners or anyone who does not fit into their strict code of living , bring back national service they say , bring back the death penalty, we need another war!!!!!  Bring back the birch, don’t do animal testing , test things on prisoners , foreigners are to blame for ,colds , flu, the resurgence of Tuberculosis ,etc  hmm I think it’s poverty and poor housing more to blame for that . Can’t get hospital appointments foreigners isn’t it ?  And loads loads loads more . There are good ones of course but I see lots and lots of this behaviour  from both the poor and rich ends of society . I’ve always been quite polite, speak to people, hold doors open, help old ladies with their shopping , let them in a line in front of me  but have often been ignored or not acknowledged for small kindnesses owing to being a leather jacketed tattooed rocker . The nice people make up for the C*nts though . 

Kids are a bit self absorbed today but like others have said , they are a product of past societies  and consumer capitalism , cuts to education ,the arts ,sports ,facilities , austerity .  The examples that have been set in the past are the results we see today

• Kids today vary between the self absorbed,the thoughtfull brave and forward looking-
     And some complete and utter sh1t  bags.

Same as it ever was; just in different ratios.
    When logic and proportion
  • SNAKEBITESNAKEBITE Frets: 1075

It's personal pride.

All this "society has changed", "People are under so much more pressure" etc is bollocks.

Manners cost nothing and only improve the quality of life of everyone.

Recently I have found that people are shocked if you smile at them (not in a creepy type of way!), you step aside to let them through and you get no acknowledgement, all the small things that were drummed into me as a kid seem to have gone by the wayside.

Yeah, it bothers me, but I will continue to do them as I would feel like I have failed if I were to stop. I feel as though I would have let my grandparents and parents down, the people who taught me to do the right thing.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • King85King85 Frets: 631
    Literally every generation has said this, it's nothing new everything is the same but people just have rose tinted glasses for the past.
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30290
    edited December 2019
    People, regardless of age, are too engrossed in their smartphones and iPads to even notice you let alone give a shit about you.