Don't forget to check your bank statements - Amazon scams

What's Hot
notanonnotanon Frets: 607
edited December 2019 in Off Topic
Our business credit card was hacked again. The last time the bank blocked the transactions because somebody tried to use it in America then in England . . . Nice and easy to spot.

This time 3 fraudulent purchases were made on Amazon. But Amazon blocked the card. WTF! The card was still functional, they could not get in touch with me because AFAIU they didn't know who was being billed?? The scammers try random card numbers by charging 0 pence to the card, if success then card can be used.

I called the bank and said "... fraudulent transactions ..." Straight away the guy asked was it Amazon? He said lots going on. Refunded straight away.

If I did not check the statements then I would not know.

Hope this helps and don't forget to share the info ;-)
0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• goldtopgoldtop Frets: 6152
    Doesn't Amazon (at least) also require the 3-digit code? Then the scammer would have to make two lucky guesses.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • notanonnotanon Frets: 607
    goldtop said:
    Doesn't Amazon (at least) also require the 3-digit code? Then the scammer would have to make two lucky guesses.
    Yep, maybe those are the numbers that they guess. They would need to try multiple systems surely for the 999 possible digits.

That would mean my card number may have been leaked via a hack??
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    I remember hearing that there is some formula for most of the card number. I've seen JavaScript client side checks before the card number is submitted which will tell you if an invalid card.

From

https://amp.reddit.com/r/theydidthemath/comments/6a9rxs/how_long_would_it_take_me_to_guess_the_16_digit/

See the comment: Card numbers aren't random.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • There is no way on this planet that they are "guessing" numbers. Your card has almost certainly been cloned somewhere (petrol station most likely) and is being used that way. 
    I just read on a few sites that Amazon doesn't use CVV code. So I checked and sure enough this is from my Amazon app.

The following restrictions apply to pre-paid Visa, MasterCard, and American Express cards:

• Amazon.co.uk doesn't support entering the three-digit CVV code normally found on the back of some cards. If the code is required by the issuing bank, payments may not process successfully.
    It seems Amazon have other checks that are as secure as CVV so they don't need to use it. They are then liable for the loss but point is I never knew about the block, I didn't receive any email telling me I had made a purchase.

There are people on the web saying they have registered new cards without entering CVV.
  • goldtopgoldtop Frets: 6152
    notanon said:
    I just read on a few sites that Amazon doesn't use CVV code. So I checked and sure enough this is from my Amazon app.

The following restrictions apply to pre-paid Visa, MasterCard, and American Express cards:

• Amazon.co.uk doesn't support entering the three-digit CVV code normally found on the back of some cards. If the code is required by the issuing bank, payments may not process successfully.
    Thanks for the update on that! Although the "pre-paid" thing makes it seem that this is a specific policy that does not apply to 'regular' cards.
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22790
    A few weeks ago  friend of mine told me his wife's Barclaycard had been hacked.  They spent a couple of thousand on insurance, then ordered loads of food from Deliveroo and Nandos.

She gets a new card in the post, and exactly the same happens - insurance and takeaways.

She collects a third card, in person, from her bank and... insurance and takeaways.

So firstly, how are they hacking the cards so quickly when the numbers are different (could it be someone at Barclaycard?) and secondly, who is this fat bloke who needs all this insurance?
    2reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    goldtop said:
    notanon said:

Thanks for the update on that! Although the "pre-paid" thing makes it seem that this is a specific policy that does not apply to 'regular' cards.
    Agreed, it is ambiguous with that comma separating the items. However lots of people on the web asking how/why can I make Amazon payments and not be promoted for CVV.

When I spoke to the bank to report the fraud all I said was:

"I'd like to report fraudulent purchases"

Without any further information he said:

"Was it on Amazon?"

After working through the details he said okay refunded. I asked what kind of method used here, should I monitor who has those card details for direct debit purposes? He then explained saying in this instance the fraudsters do not have any of my details, they use a random number, check card is valid etc.
    There is no way on this planet that they are "guessing" numbers. Your card has almost certainly been cloned somewhere (petrol station most likely) and is being used that way. 
    Read the links. I don't mean they are sitting there with pen and paper. Code + knowledge of card numbers massively reduces the search space. Then a distributed check to see if valid. By guessing I meant the process described above.

Not so long ago, visa did not care if you made thousands of checks. I don't know if still the same.

Some figures suggest 80% of cards are compromised. AYK that is exactly what CVV is aimed to protect you from. They can skim care but they still need CVV. So only need to try 1000 numbers

Shockingly you can find a list on the web of companies that do not use CVV but trade online!?
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7802
    edited December 2019
    I thought the 2 step card identification was now mandatory for all online retailers in the EU? Meaning a redirect to the card site, where you enter an SMS or email code based on your settings with the bank.
    I thought the 2 step card identification was now mandatory for all online retailers in the EU? Meaning a redirect to the card site, where you enter an SMS or email code based on your settings with the bank.
    Obviously not.One click on Amazon still goes through with no challenge. Maybe that is why they choose Amazon. Specifically it was Amazon España.

As mentioned, because I am curious how this happened, I have come across lists of domains that take payments but do not require CVV check! Google Search on:

Cardable sites no CVV check 2019

Obviously I haven't confirmed those. I really would like to understand how they scanned that card but I don't think they will tell me a step by step. Magstripes contain personal information such as name etc but I was told that they did not use any other information about myself, they somehow registered that card on Amazon.