What to do

What's Hot
HootsmonHootsmon Frets: 15960
I have run this by you before but i just don't have a clue what to do or just stay out of it......

My great niece obviously has some serious problems (10) i want bore you with the details but she ticks every single box for Asperger syndrome all the classic signs are there and then some.

Thing is, her mother and granny (my sister) are doing the ostrich with head in sand routine and fail to notice anything untoward or if they do comment on her unusual behavior they invariably fob it of with an excuse of some sort

What do i do.....do i "mind my own business" and stay out of it? or utter those dreadful words, i think there is something amiss with your girl

We had the young girl over today with her cousins for some xmas craft work and fun and it was a hellava day ;(
tae be or not tae be
0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• phil_bphil_b Frets: 2010

you have two options

option 1 do nothing

option 2 voice your concerns to the parents. It will ultimately then be up to the parents to take action and if they don't

there  is nothing else you can do.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14422
    edited December 2019
    Whatever approach you take, somebody will object. If you speak up, the mother could be upset. If you do not speak up, there will eventually be cries of why didn't somebody initiate remedial action sooner.

Assuming that your assessment is correct, pretending that everything will turn out alright is not going to work indefinitely. Once the girl changes school, aged eleven, the new school would be failing in its duty not to bring the matter to the attention of her mother. 

My inclination would be to seek professional advice A.S.A.P. so as to make an informed decision about which secondary school will be most suitable.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • HootsmonHootsmon Frets: 15960
    Funky

I could give you a HUGE list of red flags.....how does her mother (who has done child psychology courses) not suspect anything? I once heard her mum say of her daughter...she's ocd or something,but that's the extent of her suspicions
    tae be or not tae be
  • notanonnotanon Frets: 607
    @Hootsmon there are differing degrees as you know. Life will be far easier if the school is notified. I would guess other family members do not want a label attached? I think sooner or later somebody will pick up on it, people are more aware of it these days but better mention it soon to stop the inevitable situations that will arise.

Asperger's doesn't mix well with the usual ambiguities of life and social bullshit we are all used to living with. Then there are the extra levels of care required.

I guess you have read all the usual stuff on the subject along with 'The curious incident of the dog in the nighttime'

• +1 for seeking professional advice on how to play it. They'll hear your side of the story every single day and will be well used to smoothing situations like that over, plus they'll hopefully be able to give you a more nuanced take on what may be the issue, based on what you can tell them.
    If you must have sex with a frog, wear a condom. If you want the frog to have fun, rib it.