Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Stupid injuries

What's Hot
I'm in pain.. I have a pain in the arse... literally.

I was at a play park on Saturday morning with my kids, I was on the seesaw with my youngest when my brother-in-law decided to add his weight to her end of the seesaw to put me up in the air. He then jumped off, sending me plummeting to the floor. 
Long story short, it seems I've bruised/broken my coccyx- not been to Dr as the treatment for both is keep weight off it & wait.
The drive home from Birmingham to Scotland yesterday was excruciating, luckily I have a standing desk at work so today I'm not going to put any weight on it at all.

It's one of the most uncomfortable and ridiculous injuries I've had in a while (after broken ribs obviously).

Make me feel better about myself... What stupid injuries have you had?
0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• I dropped a couple of huge block paving edging bricks on my foot about 3 years back. Thought it would be a good idea to try and move them whilst only wearing Toms on my feet. Turns out it wasn't! Apparently nothing broken, but it still hurts sometimes to this day, so not convinced.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10893
    Tripped over someone's bag on the tube and dislocated my shoulder in February. It's almost better now, maybe 95%. At least two months of agonising pain. Definitely something to avoid

• Had a bad shoulder for 9 months after trying Ninja warrior in Manchester.  Needed 5 sessions of physio for that.

Broke a rib playing football in my garden with my son.
    We both slipped and I ended up landing side on on his upturned foot.

Broke some ribs body sparring with my cousin at a boxing club.

Broke my wrist in goal at 5-a-side.  Joint is now knackered.
  • Not in the same league as others in this thread, but I once snapped a tendon in my finger as I was trying to pull off a sock when going to bed. Injured myself pulling off a sock, FFS.
    4reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I'm in pain.. I have a pain in the arse... literally.

I was at a play park on Saturday morning with my kids, I was on the seesaw with my youngest when my brother-in-law decided to add his weight to her end of the seesaw to put me up in the air. He then jumped off, sending me plummeting to the floor. 
    Long story short, it seems I've bruised/broken my coccyx- not been to Dr as the treatment for both is keep weight off it & wait.
    The drive home from Birmingham to Scotland yesterday was excruciating, luckily I have a standing desk at work so today I'm not going to put any weight on it at all.

It's one of the most uncomfortable and ridiculous injuries I've had in a while (after broken ribs obviously).

Make me feel better about myself... What stupid injuries have you had?

Been there, fell down the stairs and landed on my cocyx, rushed to hostpital as i also damaged my spine, 18 yrs later still in pain. Not stopped me from workng but on a cold morning feel like a man in my 80's.

I feel the pain for you
    “Ken sent me.”
  • drpbierdrpbier Frets: 226
    My foot broke while I was lying in bed. Not 'I broke my foot' as nothing had happened...just a bone spur which crumbled due to normal foot usage.
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12361
    edited December 2019
    I was pruning a tree and did the classic stupid thing of not watching where a particularly heavy branch was going to land.... which was straight on my foot. I broke my big toe and ended up with a massively swollen and bruised foot. My son was with me and said afterwards he hadn’t realised quite how many rude words I knew. 
  • ewalewal Frets: 2582
    I was having a fire in my garden and stamping on planks of wood to break them up, wearing old Converse trainers. Managed to impale my foot on an old rusty nail... Thankfully it was only a flesh wound, and it wasn't too sore having had a few beers by that point.
    The Scrambler-EE Walk soundcloud experience
  • I stuck a large kitchen knife through the bottom of a glass jar and into my thigh. Bled like a stuck pig.

More recently, whilst trying to flip a superking mattress on my own, I managed to snap one of the bed slats, causing a large splinter (around 30mm long) to go (fully) into the sole of my foot, which I then had to retrieve with a pair of pliers. Bled like a stuck pig.
    My wife asked me to stop singing Wonderwall.
    I said maybe.....
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12361
    ewal said:
    I was having a fire in my garden and stamping on planks of wood to break them up, wearing old Converse trainers. Managed to impale my foot on an old rusty nail... Thankfully it was only a flesh wound, and it wasn't too sore having had a few beers by that point.
    You were lucky there. My cousin did a similar thing once, only it ended up going septic and at one point the doctors were talking about his foot being amputated. 
  • I stuck a large kitchen knife through the bottom of a glass jar and into my thigh. Bled like a stuck pig.

More recently, whilst trying to flip a superking mattress on my own, I managed to snap one of the bed slats, causing a large splinter (around 30mm long) to go (fully) into the sole of my foot, which I then had to retrieve with a pair of pliers. Bled like a stuck pig.

Ever thought of changing your username from lasermonkey to laserpig?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • LuttiSLuttiS Frets: 2244
    Three moments of youth spring to mind...
    Tripped over my shoelace. Broken arm + piece of stone lodged in my chin. 
    Slipped on ice. Fell on my arse, broke my arm.. still not sure how..

At an age slightly above toddler.. investigated a plant pot.. got head stuck in plant pot. 
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SnagsSnags Frets: 5368
    No massively amusing ones, but two that have always stuck with me:

a) part-time job working on Bejam (that dates me), unloading a frozen delivery into the cold store at Christmas, and dropped a carton of frozen turkeys (roughly 7 massive turkeys) corner down onto my foot, wearing normal shoes. Sharp intake of breath, a shoe full of blood, and permanent damage to my toenail. Not to mention major problems changing gear on the bike riding home that night.

b) a couple of years earlier, burst a couple of discs in my lower back courtesy of sneezing whilst getting out of bed. Led to 5 weeks in hospital, 4 of which were on 24 hour traction. I have never, ever, felt pain like that before or since, and don't intend to.
  • HaychHaych Frets: 5628

About 30 odd years ago my older sister had a nasty accident on a seesaw.  She was playing with one of her friends who was much heavier and decided to use her weight advantage to play a prank.  My sister is about five stone soaking wet, her friend Rachel was always a big girl, as in very tall, and consequently a massive advantage in weight.

As my sister was on the up end and was fully expecting to come back down again, at the moment of the ascent turning into decsent her friend did the bump thing, where just as my sister's end was starting to go back down her friend abruptly put her full weight back down on her end.

This caused my sister to slip off the end of the seesaw and smash her top front teeth on the steel handlebar.

I can still remember her coming home, screaming with blood gushing out of her mouth and nose and with broken front teeth.  Makes me feel deeply anxious, frightened and sick just recalling it from memory, it was quite horrible.

I also feel for her friend as she must have felt truly awful for what happened and obviously didn't intend for that to happen, I can't imagine what she was feeling as they both came home and had to explain to my parents why my sister's face was all messed up!

There is no 'H' in Aych, you know that don't you? ~ Wife

Turns out there is an H in Haych! ~ Sporky

Bit of trading feedback here.

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ewalewal Frets: 2582
    edited December 2019
    When I was 12 years old I went over the handlebars of my bike when the chain came off while cycling on Great Western Rd in Glasgow - a busy dual carriageway and well out of bounds for me. I grazed my face, the inside of my mouth and smashed my front teeth. When I got home, I hid my face under a baseball cap for hours, because I was scared of getting a row for cycling somewhere I shouldn't have been. Needless to say my mum was shocked when I finally took the cap off.... I think I might've been suffering from shock/ concussion too...

The date of this accident - 3 May 1979 - also the day that Thatcher government was first elected. I always think that the two things were somehow connected...
    The Scrambler-EE Walk soundcloud experience
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Paul7926Paul7926 Frets: 227
    edited December 2019
    Doesn't show up in the pic very well but you can make out the bruising all the way down my thumb.  This was from Saturday just gone.  Mobility is becoming an issue so went out and invested in a lightweight wheelchair.  Was getting used to controlling it and got a bit too confident.  Didn't let go of the wheel in time and managed to trap the thumb between wheel and brake assembly.  Other, less painful, ways to stop are available! 

• When I was quite young I decided it would be a good idea to cut an orange in half whilst holding it in my hand.
    My trading feedback can be seen here - http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/58242/
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ewal said:
    A musician friend did something similar while wearing Crocs - six inch nail came out the top of his foot.  :'(
  • sgosdensgosden Frets: 1993

Gashed my forearm completely open on 4mm Plexiglas when it snapped into a point instead of down the guide lines.

Rock star slid down the stairs and ripped " pretty much everything" in my ankle ... whilst getting X-ray'd was asked how I broke it last time... turns out I'd fractured it a year-ish ago... line sup with the very painful martial arts tournament.

Mate used my head a golf tee to send a can flying.... he missed... I got 5 stiches in my skull.

... I lost 1 of the stiches less than 24h later when I miss timed a space hopper bounce and went down a set of stairs...

1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • WolfetoneWolfetone Frets: 1479
    A few years ago, on a Saturday afternoon, I got absolutely shitfaced on Tenants Super. I decided to get my electric model plane out and start it up. Those of you that know of such things will know that an electric motor produces plenty of torque and long story short, I cut my finger on the prop. I then went into the kitchen to run my finger under the tap and whether it was the beer or the cold water on my sliced finger, I passed out and woke up about an hour later with three broken ribs and a terrific headache.

Served me right.
    3reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom