Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

For those who started their own business.....

What's Hot
HaychHaych Frets: 5628

Assuming you didn't include your own name/initials/etc as part of the business name, and that it's not named after something to do with your location, why did you call your business what you did?

#lookingforinspiration

There is no 'H' in Aych, you know that don't you? ~ Wife

Turns out there is an H in Haych! ~ Sporky

Bit of trading feedback here.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• My old business was working with Veterans so needed to be geeky. I'm not going to share the name but you need to know your clients (both sides), check you can get a domain, don't be stupid, cheeky, or flash. That is wrong. Show attention to detail and a sense of professionalism and class. 

If I had talent, I'd be talented.
    Red meat and functional mushrooms.
    Persistent and inconsistent guitar player.
    A lefty, hence a fog of permanent frustration

Not enough guitars, pedals, and cricket bats.
    USA Deluxe Strat - Martyn Booth Special - Electromatic
    FX Plex - Cornell Romany
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    edited December 2019
    What are you selling and who is your target market? I've named products and companies in the past - it's partly what I do for a living.

A product was a mask for Harley Davidson bikers - the manufacturer wanted a single unique word that was cool. I came up with Bandero - the product was like a bandana and was made from airprene. From Bandair to Bandero. The product is still being sold worldwide.

A bunch of wealthy people started a B2B finance company - they wanted people to think it had been around since the dawn of time and wanted it to sound like an old merchant bank. I came up with Rathstones - the company is still going.

Another group set up a business finance company aimed at startups and small SMEs wanting finance. They wanted a snappy modern-sounding name - I came up with Finmore. The company got bought out in the end.

Whatever you choose check the web domain is available. And check it through Companies House before designing logos and such like.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SnapSnap Frets: 6264

this is going back a few years...….

We came up with a name that we thought reflected what we were providing to clients. Not so much the actual service they bought, but what that service allowed them to do, or be better at.

For example, if you were selling walking boots that were great for long distance, you might call the company Voyager or Odyssey.

Just using your initials is a bit dull, like AB Printing or something. Wow, catchy.

Equally you don't want something corny or too slick.

Took us ages though, much sitting round tables in the pub.

• RiftAmpsRiftAmps Frets: 3143
    tFB Trader
    Two reasons:

- I wanted a monosyllabic name that was both easy to remember and pronounce and that couldn't, after I gained some recognition, be mistaken for another brand

- My favourite '59 Burst has a Rift-sawn maple top
    *I no longer offer replacement speaker baffles*
    Rift Amplification
    Handwired Guitar Amplifiers
    Brackley, Northamptonshire
    www.riftamps.co.uk

• FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    RiftAmps said:
    Two reasons:

- I wanted a monosyllabic name that was both easy to remember and pronounce and that couldn't, after I gained some recognition, be mistaken for another brand

- My favourite '59 Burst has a Rift-sawn maple top

Rift Amps is a cool name ..

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • SnagsSnags Frets: 5368
    We went through a nine month process of trying to come up with a name that reflected what we did, conveyed something of our general attitude, but wasn't just an IT firm cliché, a collection of initials, or made us sound like a bunch of accountants (or indeed, wasn't just plain vulgar, as many suggestions were).

In the end we went with the nickname everyone used for my business partner's kids, after Mrs Snags got a bit tipsy at their house one night and suggested it on the way home. It embodies absolutely none of the original intentions, other than perhaps conveying something of our attitude (as in, screw expectation, this works, let's go with it).

The single most useful thing we did in the whole thing was to have a process in place that we stuck to:
    • ditch both old names (we were merging two businesses with crap names based on our personal names)
    • each partner had an instant veto on any suggestion
    • if both of us liked it, we ran it past the wives, who essentially also had an instant veto
    • if it passed the above, we waited 24 hours/until we'd both slept (which might have been longer) and then revisited it
    • if it survived each other, the wives, and sleeping time, that was the one
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10402
    I don't think there's much of a science to it. Generally I just picked something obvious like 

Dec-Tech .... painting company I had and I thought it sounded modern 

Pro Build Projects .... building company I had I though sounded professional 

Clones UK ...... copies of iBM PC's were called clones hence the name of our computer company

2020 Studios .... 20Hz to 20Khz is roughly the limits of hearing in a young adult

Dr Watson Electronics  .... my surnames Watson and I got the nickname cos I used to carry a lot of prescription drugs around with me

www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • JasonJason Frets: 1103
    tFB Trader
    Mine is Torn & Frayed Ltd, there were a few reasons

1) It was pretty much how I was feeling at the time
    2) Its one of my favourite tracks off one of my favourite albums (Exile On Main Street)
    3) Jagger sings "Just as long as the guitar plays..." which makes sense for The Guitar Show
    4) It allows me to do other stuff through the business without me having to invoice from The Guitar Show Ltd, which could potentially make no sense
    The Guitar Show, Cranmore Park, Birmingham | Website | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter | Podcast
  • hywelghywelg Frets: 4303
    I wanted a name the clearly indicated what we  do and I also wanted the location in the name as I never intended that we would work anything other than locally.

• underdogunderdog Frets: 8334
    edited December 2019
    My tattoo shop was named something I called many things in the past (hockey team, my username on many forums etc) it was something my father said in my company when I was much younger.

It stuck with me because I didn't see much of my father between about 8 years old and 22, but he said always root for the underdog (as I tried not to be upset Liverpool had lost to Wimbledon in the fa cup final)
  • sixstringsuppliessixstringsupplies Frets: 429
    tFB Trader
    Six String Supplies
    The alliteration works well and self explanatory that the business deals in guitar parts.

Torn and Frayed Ltd is a very cool name!
    For Modders, Makers, Players

https://sixstringsupplies.co.uk/

Our YouTube Channel for handy "How-To" Wiring Tutorials
  • vizviz Frets: 10690
    I love the name Un Ltd. 
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • dazzajldazzajl Frets: 5741
    By far the biggest problem I’ve had in naming companies has been getting the matching web addresses. 

My commercial photography company is Lightfall

I have a more portrait based business called LightArt

And on the very rare occasion I bother with wanting to show any personal work, I use the banner Under The Lonely Tree
  • LodiousLodious Frets: 1942
    I used the initials of my three kids plus a word related to the field of business. 
  • spark240spark240 Frets: 2084
    I chose Studiowear as I wanted to combine music / guitars / gear onto clothing...

Mac Mini M1
    Presonus Studio One V5
     https://www.studiowear.co.uk/ -
     https://twitter.com/spark240
     Facebook - m.me/studiowear.co.uk
    Reddit r/newmusicreview 
  • I live in the old Maltings but wanted to be down with the kidz so dropped the old
    www.maltingsaudio.co.uk
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 6903
    hywelg said:
    I wanted a name the clearly indicated what we  do and I also wanted the location in the name as I never intended that we would work anything other than locally.

I just read that as Lady Boy Art Class!
    Previously known as stevebrum
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11873
    edited December 2019
    dazzajl said:
    By far the biggest problem I’ve had in naming companies has been getting the matching web addresses. 

And on the very rare occasion I bother with wanting to show any personal work, I use the banner Under The Lonely Tree
    Even using my own name someone beat me to it until this year.  Some guy in the US had www.raymondlin.com for years, registered for his undergraduate degree in Berkley in bio chemistry.  He had registered it years ago and it was only until recently when it became available after renewal lapsed.  I think he just got the domain to publish his course work to get jobs.

Because of this, instead of like 99p to register a domain, the site is “worth” something and actually cost a small sum to buy!  I did it anyway and now finally mine.

Until then I settled for .co.uk and .net but now have .com too.
  • HaychHaych Frets: 5628
    dazzajl said:

Even using my own name someone beat me to it until this year.  Some guy in the US had www.raymondlin.com for years, registered for his undergraduate degree in Berkley in bio chemistry.  He had registered it years ago and it was only until recently when it became available after renewal lapsed.  I think he just got the domain to publish his course work to get jobs.

Because of this, instead of like 99p to register a domain, the site is “worth” something and actually cost a small sum to buy!  I did it anyway and now finally mine.

Not sure what you had to pay but I'd say it was well worth it, that's a cracking website!

There is no 'H' in Aych, you know that don't you? ~ Wife

Turns out there is an H in Haych! ~ Sporky

Bit of trading feedback here.

• RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11873
    Haych said:
    dazzajl said:

Not sure what you had to pay but I'd say it was well worth it, that's a cracking website!
    Thanks, I have had the website itself a while but the domain name has eluded me.  It was just shy of £500 in the end, actually when it first released it was 4 figures but I left it then and checked again last month and it dropped.