Boss DD 200 - does anyone here own one?

What's Hot
GoldenEraGuitarsGoldenEraGuitars Frets: 8822
in FX tFB Trader
I love delay... it’s the only effect I can’t do without tbh. I resisted the urge to buy a Timeline because most of the reviews I saw used sounds I really don’t want or need. I’m keeping it simple just now with a Boss DM2W but with my longer term amp plans I want a delay pedal that that can cover digital delay and a softer analog delay.

Having a quick look at the DD 200 online and even reading the controls on the panel it’s clear to see (literally) that it’s straight to the point. I guess this is something Boss do well. Does anyone here own one who can offer a user opinion before I make the move?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• robertyroberty Frets: 10893
    I have it as it was a form factor that fit on my cramped board and I wanted something a bit more sophisticated than my DD-7.  I am not a big delay user but generally there will be a section in a song where I need a long delay set to tap tempo.  I have the four presets loaded with two standard, one reverse and one shimmer setting.  I'd say it sits comfortably between a DD-7 compact pedal and the big box mega delays.  The only two extra knobs vs the DD-7 are modulation and parameter.  What you miss out vs the bigger boxes is deep editing and more presets.  The MIDI behaviour is very customisable
  • I don’t own one but I did try one out but ended up with the DD 500 only because of the extra presets and I had space available on my board. I think there is one for sale somewhere in the classifieds ?
    Link to my trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/59452/
  • DopesickDopesick Frets: 1507
    After much umming and erring, deciding on whether just to stick with the smaller Boss delays and get trippy sounds from other pedals.....I really really want a DD-200.
  • FuengiFuengi Frets: 2849
    Yes. Had it for a few weeks and really like it. I've been through a lot of delays, like you it's the only essential pedal imo. 

The sounds are exceptional, easy and quick to change / modify and save. The Reverse, Pad and Tera Echo are all brilliant for ambient sounds.

The digital and analogue repeats are great and can be manipulated to whatever you want.

The one thing I wish they had done is to include a preset for each delay that you could save (like the EHX Grand Canyon), four is not enough slots for all the delays. 

It beats the Timeline for me because of the intuitive editing. Absolutely brilliant pedal. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • HoraceBHoraceB Frets: 337
    I've really grown to like mine a lot was a bit on the meh side at first but I really like it for gigs, especially with all the controls on the top great ease of use and instant tweak-ability. Top class sounds, I feel it's destined to become a modern classic. My only tiny gripe are the knobs (I changed them so easily sorted) and the angle of the foot switches.

Quite a lot of interesting opinions on this thread too.

https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/166372/boss-dd-200#latest

• GoldenEraGuitarsGoldenEraGuitars Frets: 8822
    tFB Trader
    Thank you very much gents, that’s exactly what I wanted to hear. I checked out another few videos last night and I think I’m better educated on the pedal now. But I always like to hear real life experiences with these gadgets... paid reviews on YouTube only get me so far. 

@hotpickups tbh I’ll be buying new, the last digital pedal I bought here used was totally wrecked when it was sold to me and I’m not making the same mistake twice. But I appreciate the heads up
  • hotpickupshotpickups Frets: 1819
    edited December 2019
    Thank you very much gents, that’s exactly what I wanted to hear. I checked out another few videos last night and I think I’m better educated on the pedal now. But I always like to hear real life experiences with these gadgets... paid reviews on YouTube only get me so far. 

@hotpickups tbh I’ll be buying new, the last digital pedal I bought here used was totally wrecked when it was sold to me and I’m not making the same mistake twice. But I appreciate the heads up
    That’s very unfortunate . I’m sure it was an isolated case but there’s always one I guess. I had a bad experience on here a few years back but I was able to fix it at a small cost to myself thankfully. I would say a good majority of us here are good to deal with. Only takes one to destroy that feeling though admittedly.

That Dd200 is only a few months old though so I don’t feel it would be in a bad way ? If it wasn’t advertised as so then name and shame I’d say. I always check out the trading feedback section if I can before purchasing here. 
    Found a decent setting on the Lo Fi mode on Friday but ran out of time to really refine it. I've always wanted to like this setting but never quite worked out how to get it right (Digitech Obscura also). 

The trick is getting the filter to not come in and out too obviously, found longer repeats, lower effect worked well but need to twiddle with the parameters and maybe actually read what they do! 

Such a great pedal. 
  • soma1975soma1975 Frets: 6677
    Just reviving this thread as I got mine today. Quick question to owners.

Does anyone have an issue running a fuzz face before it in a chain?

Compared to running straight from the fuzz to the amp with the DD-200 at the end the sound is awful. Assumed it would be okay with a buffer AFTER the fuzz.

Might be cables or power so not blaming the pedal just yet - just wondered if anyone else has experienced it?

My Trade Feedback Thread is here

Been uploading old tracks I recorded ages ago and hopefully some new noodles here.
    I am running a Sitek Fuzzy Fuzz (based on Fuzz Face) before mine and don't have any issues. 
    Yeah scratch that I guess. Just ripped half my pedals off the board to eliminate the issue and now it sounds great. FFS this is going to be the start of one of those 'sell everything it sounds better with less' cycles that ends up with me spending loads and having twice as much gear in the long run isn't it?

Been uploading old tracks I recorded ages ago and hopefully some new noodles here.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    soma1975 said:
    Yeah scratch that I guess. Just ripped half my pedals off the board to eliminate the issue and now it sounds great. FFS this is going to be the start of one of those 'sell everything it sounds better with less' cycles that ends up with me spending loads and having twice as much gear in the long run isn't it?
    Yep.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Ok next question. 

Is it possible to have delay on with part a on the looper and then turn it off before playing part b?

Can't seem to do this so it is all either dry as a bone or like I'm playing a P&W gig in a tiled cathedral. 

Tried turning the effect level down but then it wouldn't go up again once looper had started. 

I really dunno. I did use the looper quite a lot when I got it but since buying MXR Clone Looper I actually forgot you could loop on the DD-200 until you posted.

Thinking back I remember this being confusing, that's probably why I bought the Clone Looper. 

My advice is to buy a looper Ben.  =)
    Oh ffs. It never ends. 

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • hotpickupshotpickups Frets: 1819
    soma1975 said:
    Oh ffs. It never ends. 
    Ha ha it does when you say it does lol. Be strong ;)