GAK - good service

What's Hot
rlwrlw Frets: 4671
As discussed elsewhere, I bought a Les Paul Special from Gak.  Talked it through with them on Monday morning and they agreed to see what they had in stock in terms of weight as I wanted a heavier one.  Phoned me at about 3.15pm to say they had one around the weight I wanted and was I interested.  If so, could I complete the emailed order.  I was out and eventually ordered it at around 4.30pm.

It was delivered before 10.00am this morning.
Save a cow.  Eat a vegetarian.
0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• soma1975soma1975 Frets: 6627
    I find GAK awful in person and great online or by phone. 
    My Trade Feedback Thread is here

Been uploading old tracks I recorded ages ago and hopefully some new noodles here.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • The one time I had dealings with them I asked the weight of a guitar I was buying and when it arrived it was significantly heavier than I'd been told.  I stupidly decided I could live with the extra weight but later found I couldn't and ended up selling it virtually unused at a chunky loss.

OK the remedy was in my own hands, I could have returned the guitar under the distance selling regs.  But I wouldn't have ordered the guitar if they hadn't been dishonest about the weight, and I've always held that against them a bit.
    “To a man with a hammer every problem looks like a nail.”
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I've been using them for years and spent a lot over time. I find them very good either way. 
    Knowledgeable, polite, and easy to talk too.
    If I had talent, I'd be talented.
    Red meat and functional mushrooms.
    Persistent and inconsistent guitar player.
    A lefty, hence a fog of permanent frustration

Not enough guitars, pedals, and cricket bats.
    USA Deluxe Strat - Martyn Booth Special - Electromatic
    FX Plex - Cornell Romany
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GAK - always great service for me, in store and on line :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TINMAN82TINMAN82 Frets: 1845
    rlw said:
    As discussed elsewhere, I bought a Les Paul Special from Gak.  Talked it through with them on Monday morning and they agreed to see what they had in stock in terms of weight as I wanted a heavier one.  Phoned me at about 3.15pm to say they had one around the weight I wanted and was I interested.  If so, could I complete the emailed order.  I was out and eventually ordered it at around 4.30pm.

They must have been amazed someone asked for heavier for a change!
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6378
    Were shockers for saying things were in stock when they weren't, but those days are long gone I understand.
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • proggyproggy Frets: 5827
    I've bought gear from GAK on line, never had a problem.
  • rlwrlw Frets: 4671
    TINMAN82 said:
    rlw said:

They must have been amazed someone asked for heavier for a change!

For me, P90s sound better in a fatter guitar.  Ideally a maple capped goldtop but heigh ho.
  • Love their online service, in shop it feels like they'd rather me not be there.  Tried to buy a guitar 3 times in shop, gave up each time, now if I'm in Brighton I'll go to Mudpie.
    However they are my go-to online GAS retailer. Not always perfect but they are quick to resolve issues.

• Jalapeno said:
    Were shockers for saying things were in stock when they weren't, but those days are long gone I understand.
    Going back to the days of the MusicRadar forum there was a complaint about them every week including this ^ and that was what happened to me. However, there was a lot of discussion with their rep on the forum ( Mark?) and they also seemed to get their act together. A couple of years ago I ordered a keyboard for my son off them and that was fine. 
    Not a lot of product detail on their website which is looking a bit dated as well even though they appear to have tried to position themselves as a box shifter, it’s okay but maybe could do better. Never been in person. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • JerkMoansJerkMoans Frets: 8775
    Good to have some positivity.
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3301
    GAK - always great service for me, in store and on line :)
    Same here and used them online last week and all good! 
  • EpsilonEpsilon Frets: 600
    I understand that they have come on significantly in terms of customer service in the last few years, however in the early days they were shocking when it came to customer care and support. I was literally unable to return a faulty Shure SM57 microphone that I purchased from them. I gave up after about two weeks of phoning multiple times a day where nobody picked up, and there was no response to the multiple emails I sent. Left a bad impression and I've used them as little as possible since then. Glad to see they've upped their game.

• Had 3 guitars and stuff off them alwYs a good experience
  • bodhibodhi Frets: 1334
    So how would you say does it compare to the 2016 Specials?
  • Never had a problem with them - always super-helpful.
    Guitar(s): Custom Gordon Smith Graduate, FGN Odyssey JOS-FM-M FBT, Ibanez RG6PCMLTD, Yamaha Pacifica 311H, Harley Benton Fusion Pro HSH Amp: Blackstar HT5-R MKII, Presonus Eris E4.5 Active Studio Monitor Speakers  | Effects: Wampler Plexi Drive Deluxe, Fender Marine Layer Reverb, Fender The Bends Compressor, TC Electronics Flashback 2, EH Hum Debugger, TC Electronic Polytone 3.
  • TonyRTonyR Frets: 908
    I bought a Roland bass amp off them a couple of months back. It was considerably reduced as it was an ex-display item. The amp arrived well packaged and in mint condition, okay it wasn’t in its original box but hey who cares. I wouldn’t hesitate to use them again.
    We are all Chameleons...
  • rlwrlw Frets: 4671
    bodhi said:
    So how would you say does it compare to the 2016 Specials?

Much better.  Better finish.  Better neck.  Better sound.  More grown up and less screamy, by which I mean a lot more mid-range and lots of grunt.  Have to say I wouldn't want another 2016 now.
  • bodhibodhi Frets: 1334
    rlw said:

More grown up and less screamy.
    lol - I like the way mine screams, but now I guess I'll have to try out these 2019s just to be sure.