Speaker Question: 2 creambacks or 1 creamback + 1 V30

thomasw88thomasw88 Frets: 2325
edited December 2019 in Amps
So I have a zilla cab which currently has a creamback and celestion V30 in it..

I do have another creamback lying around which I was thinking of putting in, but as I'm lazy thought would ask if anyone used 2x12 creambacks and also tried a  creamback and celestion V30  and if so what their preference was.

headwise -  will be either a AC30CCH,   H&K Statesman or a Gringo Wienbrock (5e3 type amp)..
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72297
    Do you mean a G12M-65 or a G12H-75 Creamback?

I've tried a Creamback G12M-65 and a G12H-30 together and I didn't really like it - the separation between the two speakers was very obvious. It's also a poor pairing for power rating because the combined rating is *lower* - 60W - than for the G12M-65 alone, and the H30 will end up being pushed very hard (which it tends not to like) before the Creamback is driven fully.

The G12H-75 sounds much more like an H30 so it's even more pointless to mix them when the main result is a much lower power rating than the H75 alone.

I would mix the two different Creambacks, or a Greenback and a G12H-30. Both those pairs sound great and are well-matched for power rating.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• thomasw88thomasw88 Frets: 2325
    ICBM said:
    Do you mean a G12M-65 or a G12H-75 Creamback?

I've tried a Creamback G12M-65 and a G12H-30 together and I didn't really like it - the separation between the two speakers was very obvious. It's also a poor pairing for power rating because the combined rating is *lower* - 60W - than for the G12M-65 alone, and the H30 will end up being pushed very hard (which it tends not to like) before the Creamback is driven fully.

The G12H-75 sounds much more like an H30 so it's even more pointless to mix them when the main result is a much lower power rating than the H75 alone.

I would mix the two different Creambacks, or a Greenback and a G12H-30. Both those pairs sound great and are well-matched for power rating.
    Actually I'm being an idiiot.

Its' got a creamback m-65 and a v30 in it!     So the question is slighty different.
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2896
    edited December 2019
    I really liked my 212 with Creamback H + V30. I think it’s a great combo with a bit less of that mid focus that 2 V30s can have. I also like H30+V30 pairing but did prefer the Creamback H as it seems less fizzy/scooped. I used these with modded Marshall types - Laney GH50L and Mini Jubilee so ymmv.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72297
    thomasw88 said:

Actually I'm being an idiiot.

Its' got a creamback m-65 and a v30 in it!     So the question is slighty different.
    That works quite well too - in a vertical or diagonal cab with the V30 at the bottom, I didn't like it at the top at all. I much preferred the V30 with the G12H-75 Creamback though.

TTBZ said:
    I really liked my 212 with Creamback H + V30. I think it’s a great combo with a bit less of that mid focus that 2 V30s can have. I also like H30+V30 pairing but did prefer the Creamback H as it seems less fizzy/scooped.
    I've never been a fan of the V30/H30 pair - the V30/G12H-75 pair is *much* better, despite the H75 and the H30 being quite similar... the H75 is a bit thicker and darker, but it makes all the difference in the pair. It also means you can use the full power rating of the V30 - which is a speaker that likes being pushed hard - without overloading the other one.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein