SCAMMER WARNING: Due to a spate of recent scam attempts (some successful) recently, if you're doing a deal in the classifieds, ONLY USE PAYPAL GOODS AND SERVICES UNLESS YOU KNOW THAT INDIVIDUAL PERSONALLY. It's really not worth saving a few quid.

SOLD - PATRICK EGGLE Custom shop (part trades possible)

What's Hot
RevMattRevMatt Frets: 833
edited January 2020 in Guitars £
MANSON & EGGLE NOW SOLD

I recently overspent slightly on a couple of guitar purchases so am offering 2 superb and quite unique custom guitars.

I may consider trades as I'm looking for a high end Patrick Eggle (Berlin, Vienna, LA, JS Legend) which must be in very good condition (there's a reason condition is important which I won't bore you with)...

No. 1 - Manson Classic S Quilt Top - £700 now £550 collected from Nottingham (postage at cost)

DETAILS:
This is a beautiful guitar, handmade by the legendary British maker Hugh Manson (of Mansons Guitarworks), guitar builder for many big names including Matt Bellamy, Seasick Steve, Martin Barre, Dave Grohl and many more...

This one dates back to some time in the early 1990s, and comes with some communication between a previous owner and Mansons' confirming it as being a Classic Quilt Top S. It features top quality workmanship throughout and no expense is spared on the build or parts:
- Quilted maple top finished in a stunning greenburst over what looks to be an Ash body
- Birdseye maple neck, with a rosewood fretboard sporting 22 frets
- Schaller tuners and Schaller Floyd Rose trem
- Seymour Duncan Blues Saraceno SSH pickups

Communication with Mansons back in 2013 confirms that a similar build commissioned at the time or writing would be in the region of £2500-£3000, possibly more by now! So, here's a rare chance to get an early model from the days when Hugh was hand making everything for the kind of money you might pay for a far eastern production model.

As such, this really is a great guitar with a stunning neck, great playability and a superb range of tones - perhaps a little softer and more rounded than your typical Strat tones, but switch to the humbucker, crank up the gain and it roars!

The guitar comes with a TKL case, a strap and some emails from a previous owner with Mansons.

CONDITION:
This guitar comes with MOJO - as in it has been played, gigged and gigged some more, so it has lots of dings and scratches that reflect the fact that it's a pro spec custom guitar approaching 30 years old. You will find scratches and dings (penetrating the finish) to the front, rear and sides of the body, some dings to the headstock and indentations on the neck. None of this affects the structural integrity of the guitar or how it plays, but can be clearly seen. Likewise, the frets show some wear - they appear to have been levelled as the tops are flattened, but it plays fine and there's life left in them. The guitar is missing the rear trem cover, but includes the arm, and also some allan keys on the rear of the headstock.

Strings would benefit from a change and you may want to get it set up to your preferences, but it plays well as it is with a nice low action.

The case is a bit bashed and scratched to match the guitar, but does a good job.

I've priced this to reflect both the condition and the rarity of some of this guitars features.

0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Wow , that’s a bloody good deal for someone 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RevMattRevMatt Frets: 833
    edited January 2020
    No. 2 - Patrick Eggle Berlin Pro Custom Shop - £775 now £700 from Nottingham or post at cost

This is a beautiful guitar from the highly regarded British company, Patrick Eggle Guitars.

This one is a Berlin Pro dating back to 1996, but with a difference - I'll come to that shortly. As such, it offers all the usual Berlin Pro features:
    - mahogany body with a thick carved maple top
    - mahogany set 24 fret neck
    - Seymour Duncan pickups
    - Sperzel locking tuners
    - Wilkinson VS100c trem (cleverly locks the bridge when the arm is in the rest position)
    - 1x volume, 1x 3 way rotary selector, 1x 3 way toggle pickup selector
    - Elite options which includes the black back and natural edge binding

However, there are a number of features which make this guitar a little different:
    - Custom Shop: on the heel the words 'Custom Shop' are written. As a small firm, you could suggest that all of the guitars are to an extent custom shop models, but I've never seen them described such
    - Fretboard: instead of the standard ebony fretboard, this guitar has what I believe to a be Pao Ferro fingerboard - I have never seen this on another Berlin
    - headstock facing: by the mid 90s, this was normally the same colour as the back (in this case black), but on this guitar the headstock face is red to match the body
    - Figured maple top: all Berlin Pros have some sort of figured maple top (normally quilt or tigerstripe) but less commonly this guitar has a subtle birds eye maple top

So, all in all a very interesting and unique guitar.

Needless to say it plays and sounds great!

The condition is used and is a mixed story: the neck, headstock and fretboard are all excellent - almost unmarked with some wear but not excessive to the frets, The body has a couple of indentations on the front and the back, plus some buckle rash swirliness on the back. In addition, there are a series of small indentations/dings around the front and rear edge - most are difficult to see but can be felt, whereas 3-4 are slightly more obvious visibly - these can be best seen on picture 2.
    The guitar will come with a black plastic truss rod cover re-instated and generic chrome strap buttons.

The guitar comes with its original Hiscox case which has some scuffs and a couple of small areas of damage, and also the lock has been removed.

I've priced this to reflect both the condition and the rarity of some of this guitars features.

• Those Parallel Axis Pickups are great - some of my favourites - and uncommon to see. The PATB-Stk SC sized pickups are hidden gems. Even more unusual to see is the PATB3b Blues Saraceno HB in the bridge (I've got several guitars with PATB1s, and one with a PATB2) - I've not had a go with one of those, but heard they are pretty similar to the PATB1n neck pickup. 

That guitar looks GREAT!
    I'm always looking for interesting USA Hamers for sale.

At the moment I'm looking for:
    * Hamer Watson, SS2, Vintage S, T62.
    * Music Man Luke 1, Luke II

Please drop me a message.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Thanks for the comments @Bennyboy-UK ; - they are nice, a little different to your traditional Strat sounds, perhaps a little more rounded and compressed sounding?

Wow , that’s a bloody good deal for someone 
    And now even better @DrCornelius - the Manson is reduced to £625 for fretboarders!
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • rosskirosski Frets: 36
    How would you describe the neck on the Manson- slim or chunky? Beautiful guitar
    @rosski - quite slim in width, but not too shallow in depth so still a nice C profile. I wouldn't describe it as chunky.
  • rosskirosski Frets: 36
    Thanks, I prefer big necks so I’ll talk myself out of grabbing it!
    I'm not very good at describing necks, but if it's of help to anyone else, here are couple of measurements:
    Width at the nut: 41mm
    Fretboard edge to fretboard edge around the back of the neck behind the nut: 63mm

The general profile is a Fenderish C shape.

RevMatt said:
    Wow , that’s a bloody good deal for someone 
    And now even better @DrCornelius - the Manson is reduced to £625 for fretboarders!
    And now a bumptastic £600!
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Trade options added on the Manson
    It's probably just the time of the year, but I'm very surprised these are still here - the Berlin is probably the cheapest Berlin Pro for sale anywhere with some added interest factors thrown in, and the Manson is just a great quality rare piece!
    Both guitars reduced:
    Manson = £600
    Patrick Eggle = £750 - that's the cheapest Berlin Pro around by a long shot.
    In the spirit of Christmas, one last price drop on the Manson, now just £575!
    Happy Christmas folks
    Sold some other bits so can offer even better prices on these 2 UK custom built guitars...

Manson = £550

Patrick Eggle = £725
    Manson sold.
    Further reduction on the Patrick Eggle, now at £700 collected.

Happy to pack and post from as little as £12 (plus insurance if required).

Having bought and sold more than my fair share of Patrick Eggles this is the cheapest Berlin Pro I've seen for a while.
    Roll up folks.
    Leaky pipe, dead boiler, BIG bill bump :(