would you change pickups on a prs custom 24 (oldish one - can't remember year) and to what?

What's Hot
nickpnickp Frets: 183
I think I'm after a sort of fuller creamier tone.......I've seen a SD custom custom and pearly gates combo but I'm completely open to suggestions - just wondering :)
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• sweepysweepy Frets: 4211
    I changed the pickups in my v v old McCarty to DiMarzio Evo and Tonezone, suited it very nicely 
  • ThorpyFXThorpyFX Frets: 6234
    tFB Trader
    Yes, try the bare knuckle VH2s love them a lot, probably the most versatile set I’ve heard for all styles 
    Adrian Thorpe MBE | Owner of ThorpyFx Ltd | Email: thorpy@thorpyfx.com | Twitter: @ThorpyFx | Facebook: ThorpyFx Ltd | Website: www.thorpyfx.com
  • thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    If it came with VB and HFS I'd definitely not change them
  • thegummy said:
    If it came with VB and HFS I'd definitely not change them
    I had a ‘92 Custom with these - and always liked them. But it isn’t a combination that sounds ‘that’ Gibson-like. More modern PRS pick-ups sound more PAFish - but I’m not convinced a 24 fret PRS particularly needs that - it has its own thing going on.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • tekbowtekbow Frets: 1699
    Yeah. One thing PRS aren't known for are their pickups. The old McCarty PU's were particularly wet blanket.
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11494

Not sure any core US PRS with a big thick maple top is good for that kind of tone.  I've owned 5 of them in the past (all gone now).  I've found I much prefer the sound of Les Pauls when I want humbuckers.  Part of it is the PRS pickups, but I think it's down to the construction.  The bridge is anchored in the thickest part of the maple, and it's a much deeper carve on the top than a Les Paul, so it is much thicker at that point.  The overall ratio of maple to mahogany is much higher on a PRS than a Les Paul as well.  I think that gives PRS their own sound.

The 24 fret guitars are also worse than the later 22 fret guitars for that thicker sound.  It was a desire to get a thicker sound that led to the 22 fret guitars in the mid 90s in the first place.

Fundamentally, if you want a thicker and "creamier" sound, the Custom 24 is not the best guitar for it.  Changing out the HFS and VB pickups might help a bit, but you will always be limited by the guitar's construction.

• chromatunachromatuna Frets: 374
    edited December 2019
    I didn’t like the HFS/VB combination and went on a bit of an odyssey with it learning about pickups as I went. Depends what you want of course. I was after a versatile Gibson-ish sound , clean and overdriven, with the 70s very much in mind. After going too hot (12-14k b. 8-9k n - too much mid emphasis) and too cold (standard 8.4 7.5k winds - just a bit weak and meh) and various magnet combinations I found a second hand set of PRS 59/09s which I understand to be moderately overwound with Alnico 2 magnets. Best I have found for what I want from my CU 24
    This is the truth from hillbilly guitars!
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6406
    Change them to whatever you want - keep the originals in the case.
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • nickpnickp Frets: 183
    hfs treble and vinage bass are original pups in it - from 2002 (just checked) - and like chromatuna I'm after a similar sound I guess  

• tekbow said:
    Yeah. One thing PRS aren't known for are their pickups. The old McCarty PU's were particularly wet blanket.
    I had a 2000 model and it sounded incredible with stock pickups.
    Trading feedback info here

My band, Red For Dissent
    crunchman said:

Not sure any core US PRS with a big thick maple top is good for that kind of tone.  I've owned 5 of them in the past (all gone now).  I've found I much prefer the sound of Les Pauls when I want humbuckers.  Part of it is the PRS pickups, but I think it's down to the construction.  The bridge is anchored in the thickest part of the maple, and it's a much deeper carve on the top than a Les Paul, so it is much thicker at that point.  The overall ratio of maple to mahogany is much higher on a PRS than a Les Paul as well.  I think that gives PRS their own sound.

The 24 fret guitars are also worse than the later 22 fret guitars for that thicker sound.  It was a desire to get a thicker sound that led to the 22 fret guitars in the mid 90s in the first place.

Fundamentally, if you want a thicker and "creamier" sound, the Custom 24 is not the best guitar for it.  Changing out the HFS and VB pickups might help a bit, but you will always be limited by the guitar's construction.

thanks - I get that and I'd quite like a DGT but don't have any money at the moment.  The custom 24's dead handy for the wonderful neck so I'm on a mission to get it "more" where I want it whilst accepting the issues and sell everything in the house for a s/d dgt :)

Jalapeno said:
    yup although the guitar has lost a shitload in value since the dog knocked it off the stand and I've had the headstock repaired as it was badly cracked (fuck!!) - so it'll probably be a keeper!!
  • tekbowtekbow Frets: 1699
    tekbow said:
    I had a 2000 model and it sounded incredible with stock pickups.
    I have an 04 and they were awful. The BKP's made a big difference.
    just lookig at the bkp ones that thorpy mentioned.  Ash @OilCityPickups ; also does similar on the face of it :)
  • GuyRGuyR Frets: 1361
    nickp said:
    Jalapeno said:
    yup although the guitar has lost a shitload in value since the dog knocked it off the stand and I've had the headstock repaired as it was badly cracked (fuck!!) - so it'll probably be a keeper!!
    I would be working on an eye-for-an-eye basis here.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 10964
    tFB Trader
    nickp said:
    just lookig at the bkp ones that thorpy mentioned.  Ash @OilCityPickups ; also does similar on the face of it :)
    My NightFighter alnico II Customs were designed originally to replace PRS pickups ... more cream and less spike ...

Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    edited December 2019
    nickp said:
    just lookig at the bkp ones that thorpy mentioned.  Ash @OilCityPickups ;; also does similar on the face of it
    My NightFighter alnico II Customs were designed originally to replace PRS pickups ... more cream and less spike ...

you bad boy ash   they are much higher output than the sort of 8-9ish that I was lookin at originally.  alnico 2 so smoother :)
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 10964
    tFB Trader
    nickp said:
    nickp said:
    just lookig at the bkp ones that thorpy mentioned.  Ash @OilCityPickups ;; also does similar on the face of it

you bad boy ash   they are much higher output than the sort of 8-9ish that I was lookin at originally.  alnico 2 so smoother :)

Don't judge output on DCR ... they have a bit more ouput ... but as they are wound with 43awg wire the DCR is naturally higher than say a PAF :-) They have more compression and mids than a PAF though
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

nickp said:
    nickp said:

Don't judge output on DCR ... they have a bit more ouput ... but as they are wound with 43awg wire the DCR is naturally higher than say a PAF :-) They have more compression and mids than a PAF though
    thanks Ash - when I feel like I have wriggle room I'll order - either this side or the other side of santa 
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4211
    I changed mine because the bridge pickup was spiky and harsh and the neck pickup was muddy and in distinct