Solid State GAS (now NAD (by proxy))

What's Hot
jhalliday89jhalliday89 Frets: 37
edited December 2019 in Amps
So I recently purchased an old red knob Princeton Chorus and I absolutely love it.
I know you're all going to grumble at this - but, FOR ME and the music I play it has outclassed every tube amp I currently and I think have previously owned in terms of clean tone and ability to take pedals.
Now I've discovered this old solid state wizardry I want more, specifically in the forms of Roland or Fender.
I know there is a guy on here selling a JC120 at a ridiculous price but he's at the other end of the country otherwise I'd go for it. There is a local guy selling a JC77 that has caught my eye, and there is also another localish guy selling a Fender Ultra Chorus.

I guess my question is - Am I going to see a significant improvement over the Princeton Chorus with either of these amps, I love the idea of having a JC and the 77 seems a little more manageable than a JC120 but It's going to cost considerably more than the bargain bucket Fender I currently use.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72297
    edited December 2019
    The JC77 is the pick of the range - it's got almost the same spaciousness of sound as the JC120, but at about half the size and weight (not literally, but it feels like it when you lift them).

Whether it's "better" than the Princeton is something only you can answer really - it does have an iconic sound, but I find it more limited than the Fender especially when it comes to taking pedals.

The Ultra Chorus is very much just like a bigger Princeton Chorus - it's not going to be a lot better, or even a lot different, unless you just need more power and bottom end.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBM said:
    The JC77 is the pick of the range - it's got almost the same spaciousness of sound as the JC120, but at about half the size and weight (not literally, but it feels like it when you lift them).

Whether it's "better" than the Princeton is something only you can answer really - it does have an iconic sound, but I find it more limited than the Fender especially when it comes to taking pedals.

The Ultra Chorus is very much just like a bigger Princeton Chorus - it's not going to be a lot better, or even a lot different, unless you just need more power and bottom end.
    Yeah - Looking at the ultra Chorus in more depth, I'm not actually a huge fan of 12" speakers. Hence loving the Princeton chorus and being drawn to the JC77.
    There's also the new JC40 - which I can pick up for about 100 quid more than a second hand JC77..... I have seen some utterly stonking reviews of the JC40
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBM said:

Yeah - Looking at the ultra Chorus in more depth, I'm not actually a huge fan of 12" speakers. Hence loving the Princeton chorus and being drawn to the JC77.
    There's also the new JC40 - which I can pick up for about 100 quid more than a second hand JC77..... I have seen some utterly stonking reviews of the JC40
    Seconded on the JC40, absolute belter of an amp. Add a Fairfield compressor in front of it and the cleans get even better and the distortion at lower gain settings becomes more than usable. Lovely amp... and I want one now!
  • Seconded on the JC40, absolute belter of an amp. Add a Fairfield compressor in front of it and the cleans get even better and the distortion at lower gain settings becomes more than usable. Lovely amp... and I want one now!
    Looks like PMT Manchester have some in stock.. that's my Sunday morning sorted.
    Princeton Chorus and a JC40 could be a very interesting stereo set up.
    Princeton Chorus and a JC40 could be a very interesting quadrophonic set up.
    FTFY :)

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9661
    edited December 2019
    Not sure if the Roland Blues Cubes (Stage or Artist) are of any interest to you. Cleans aren’t quite as pristine as a JC, but it does do those Fendery Bassman type cleans very well indeed and also  takes pedals rather well. A very sweet sounding amp indeed.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
  • SchmoSchmo Frets: 170
    Have you considered a Musician HD130 ? I do have such an old head that I'm looking to sell...apologies for the shameless plug !!
  • Schmo said:
    Have you considered a Musician HD130 ? I do have such an old head that I'm looking to sell...apologies for the shameless plug !!
    I have now I've listened to some sound clips.... Lovely sounding amp, think it's possibly out of my price range at the moment though
  • SchmoSchmo Frets: 170
    Schmo said:
    I have now I've listened to some sound clips.... Lovely sounding amp, think it's possibly out of my price range at the moment though
    If you want to discuss via PM maybe we could explore?
  • AndyJPAndyJP Frets: 220
    @jhalliday89 what sort of music do you play?
  • jhalliday89jhalliday89 Frets: 37
    edited December 2019
    AndyJP said:
    @jhalliday89 what sort of music do you play?
    Mostly very effect laden noise - Sonic youth, Tera melos, Pile... That sort of stuff, although I am in no way as talented as any of the players in the afore mentioned bands. 

Also lots of country. 
  • AndyJPAndyJP Frets: 220
    Have you seen the DV mark Eric Gales amp?
  • StuckfastStuckfast Frets: 2412
    There are some great Peavey solid-state amps that can be picked up for naff all too.
  • StuckfastStuckfast Frets: 2412
    Also I am not-too-reliably informed that the next big vintage boom will be in old British SS models, especially HH amps.
    Stuckfast said:
    Also I am not-too-reliably informed that the next big vintage boom will be in old British SS models, especially HH amps.
    Much as I like them, I doubt it.

Then again I thought the same about late-70s Fender guitars, and people pay silly money for those now.

• So I recently purchased an old red knob Princeton Chorus and I absolutely love it.
    I know you're all going to grumble at this - but, FOR ME and the music I play it has outclassed every tube amp I currently and I think have previously owned in terms of clean tone and ability to take pedals.
    Now I've discovered this old solid state wizardry I want more, specifically in the forms of Roland or Fender.
    I know there is a guy on here selling a JC120 at a ridiculous price but he's at the other end of the country otherwise I'd go for it. There is a local guy selling a JC77 that has caught my eye, and there is also another localish guy selling a Fender Ultra Chorus.

I guess my question is - Am I going to see a significant improvement over the Princeton Chorus with either of these amps, I love the idea of having a JC and the 77 seems a little more manageable than a JC120 but It's going to cost considerably more than the bargain bucket Fender I currently use.
    Even more of a ridiculous price now - £400 with upgraded speakers....... almost worth a drive down here to Dorset for the day !
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10402
    I had the 2 x 10" Princeton Chorus combo in the eighties as did the other guitarist in my band at the time. We did hundreds of gigs with them but we used them into two 4 x 12" cabs each. Then we crossed the cabs over so behind me I came out the top 4 X 12" and he came out the bottom one behind me. Then behind him he came out the top one and I was in the bottom one. 

We discovered something with those amps that just turns them into the ultimate eighties hair metal amp. If you short the 2 grounds of the speaker wires together and turn on the chorus then the whole amp becomes a totally different beast with more gain, a much wider chorus sound and much fatter lower mids. Once we discovered this that's how those amps were used all the time

I've repaired a few Princeton Chorus amps .... they use use a pair of TDA power IC's to drive 25 watts into each speaker. The pre amp and tone are all bog standard TLO72 opamps. Very simple design and easy to repair 
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • I’ve got a Vox venue floating about. Probably should get on and repair it. I remember it being a decent bit of kit. 
  • There's a SS Princeton 112+ going near me for £60. Very tempted.
    Just so people are aware. I have no idea what any of these words mean.

Even more of a ridiculous price now - £400 with upgraded speakers....... almost worth a drive down here to Dorset for the day !
    £400 is not that cheap for a JC120 now - a little, but not worth a long drive for. They’re no longer that sought-after due to the size and weight, and older ones can have issues.