Potential stupid question!

What's Hot
BeardyAndyBeardyAndy Frets: 716
edited December 2019 in Amps
I've got a Katana on the way (don't judge me I just need to check that box so I can move on!)

It's the 100w head for easy transport to practise as there's always a 4x12 to plug into when i get there. Question is "Can I use the speaker in my Blackstar Artist as a cab?" I can see that it plugs from the terminals into the back of the amp using a standard 1/4" jack so can I just plug that straight into the Katana? In my head this seems logical but I've fallen foul of my logic before!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72299
    edited December 2019
    If the cable will reach, yes. If not, you need one of these - https://www.ebay.co.uk/i/281837527938

Avoid cheaper ones with other plugs and sockets - Neutriks are the only ones I would trust for a speaker connection. Although at the power levels you're likely to be using it probably doesn't matter, if you get a good one you can use it in any situation without worrying about it.

The power rating of the speaker may matter, but I think it should be OK - the Katana will put out 100W into 8 ohms, but most Blackstar amps use a 16-ohm internal speaker which will limit the power to around 50W, so if the speaker is a V-Type it will still be within the safe range even if you crank it, which you're unlikely to at home.

By the way, there are no 'stupid' questions like this... if you don't know the answer, stupid is plugging your amp into the wrong thing and blowing it up :). The classic way to do that in your situation is to plug the head into the combo's extension speaker jack - which leaves the output transformer in parallel with the speaker and is quite likely to kill a solid-state head. I've seen that done quite a few times...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12665
    The Artist 30 has 2 x 16ohm V Types. Should marry up well to the Katana but it'll still sound like a Katana. Hope you kept the return labels... ;-)
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Thanks @ICBM I've ordered the very one from the link.

As you say, it's highly unlikely i'll use it north of the .5w setting at home after the initial "lets see what it can do" phase.

And thanks @impmann I'm glad someone had a dig about buying a Katana, wouldn't have felt right otherwise! ;)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12665
    Thanks @ICBM I've ordered the very one from the link.

As you say, it's highly unlikely i'll use it north of the .5w setting at home after the initial "lets see what it can do" phase.

And thanks @impmann I'm glad someone had a dig about buying a Katana, wouldn't have felt right otherwise! ;)
    Anytime! ;-)
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ecc83ecc83 Frets: 1630
    And another 'not stupid' caveat? DO remember NOT to power up the Artist while it is without a speaker load!
    Blackstar amps have 'some' no load protection and I never had an OP traff fail but don't push yer luck!

Dave.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom