Think I've fallen In Love with playing bass

What's Hot
jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12292
I've got a bass for sale, I haven't played since a brief stint in a band 30 years ago but I've been tinkering with Ian Durys My Old Man and I love it. My dilemma is now keep and sell a guitar? Wasn't expecting this to happen... I don't have a Bass amp so have been low voluming through a guitar amp and it feels so right. Oh dear...
"OUR TOSSPOT"
1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• I think the great thing about bass is that it forces you to think in a more functional way than playing guitar. 
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • That’s an awesome bassline by a fantastic bass player. Definitely up there with Foxton for me for basslines that beg to be learned 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I was going to say "oh no.." but then I remembered I've spent much of this year playing drums at every opportunity...

Go for it, I say :)
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Keep both of course.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Oooh, I don't really know that one. Will have to give it a spin on Spotify!
  • thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    I think the great thing about bass is that it forces you to think in a more functional way than playing guitar. 
    Totally agree.

I've found that learning guitar is mostly about techniques and guitar parts whereas learning bass is so much about learning how songs work.

I can see why some of the people I regard as the best songwriters of all time are bassists in their band.
  • Bass is incredibly fun. I still class it as my main instrument. Enjoy it....it's totally different. 
  • brooombrooom Frets: 1173
    I mainly play guitar, but I always keep a precision around. I really love playing bass, it's a completely different thing.
  • proggyproggy Frets: 5835
    I recently sold the last of my collection, a Fender Jazz Special Fretless. Although it hardly got played in the last few years, I'm kind of missing it (or having a bass around).
  • It's also a great way of getting some strength in your little finger on the fretting hand.
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4978
    Sell a guitar and use the funds to buy a good bass amp.
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• Bass is such a fun instrument. Playing over tunes is a great way to work on rythm, but it also helps you think more fundamentally/simply in terms of melody and harmony. All of which transfer very well to guitar, especially if you happen to want to play/record tasteful guitar parts as arrangements.
    Click here to see me butchering some classic solos!
  • bassborabassbora Frets: 132
    Nobody dances to lead guitar. Bass is where its happening 
  • maw4neumaw4neu Frets: 554
    The bass line to "Hit me with your Rhythm Stick " is unbelievably hard to play . . . Its makes the track . . I tried and failed miserably . . Playing Bass is awesome :-)
    Id just like to point out that, despite all the video and DNA evidence, it genuinely wasn't me, your Honour  ! 

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14404
    bassbora said:
    Nobody dances to lead guitar.
    Cardiacs fans used to! 

I think the great thing about bass is that it forces you to think in a more functional way than playing guitar. 
    IMO, it helps to alternate between guitar and bass. Aspects of each instrument/role inform the possibilities for the other.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    maw4neu said:
    The bass line to "Hit me with your Rhythm Stick " is unbelievably hard to play . . . Its makes the track . . I tried and failed miserably . . Playing Bass is awesome :-)
    Norman Watt-Roy is a superb bass player - not mentioned enough :)

I recently went through a phase of being really in to Ian Dury for Ian's singing and lyrics themselves but in doing so I also got in to what a solid backing band he had.

IMO, it helps to alternate between guitar and bass. Aspects of each instrument/role inform the possibilities for the other.
    Every now and then I wonder if I should concentrate more on one or the other in order to get to a higher level but maybe splitting between the two could be the most beneficial when counting all the complimentary possibilities over to each instrument.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72204
    I've got a bass for sale, I haven't played since a brief stint in a band 30 years ago but I've been tinkering with Ian Durys My Old Man and I love it. My dilemma is now keep and sell a guitar? Wasn't expecting this to happen... I don't have a Bass amp so have been low voluming through a guitar amp and it feels so right. Oh dear...
    If you have more than one guitar and only one bass then sell a guitar.

You don’t *need* a bass amp for playing at low volume at home, but it’s probably worth getting one - it doesn’t have to be big or expensive.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• ToastHatToastHat Frets: 6
    That's great! I had the same experience in reverse: been playing bass for nearly 20 years and picked up guitar properly about 6 months ago. It's been so interesting approaching songs I've known for years from the other direction. Also it's opened up loads of new songs I know well but had never bothered with because the bassline was boring to play (yeah yeah serves the song etc). Bass still feels "right" and more ... fun when I play it. I'd been in a bit of a rut for few years that I was down to like an hour of bass a week, I still play an hour of bass a week but now I play like 10 hours of guitar as well.
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    Keep the bass. But it a little amp. Sell a guitar.
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

• RockerRocker Frets: 4978
    Keep what guitars you have.  Buy a Fender Rumble Bass Amp.  Why get rid of the things that give you enjoyment and a reason to live?
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum