SDRUM, Beatbuddy, etc... advice

What's Hot
Creed_ClicksCreed_Clicks Frets: 1387
Hi guys, I was looking at videos of the new Boss looper, which led me on to looking at videos of the Beatbuddy, SDRUM etc. 
The Beatbuddy mini and/or SDRUM look ok for what I want, but maybe might be waste of money for what I want! 
My query is what the electro sounds are like. All the demos seem to be studio drum kits, which is what I don't want.

My idea would be to trigger a drum beat as basic as possible similar to this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ImkroMAenek

One option could be to play the beat/loop off my phone or mp3 player, but with a pedal option, any suggestions? Beatbuddy or BB mini could be overkill, maybe the SDRUM could be a useful way of composing basic beats with the guitar, but it's another pedal in the chain innit!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• SDrum doesn't have any electronic sounds AFAIK, and Beat Buddy can load a sound library and play a bunch of patterns one after the other in a song-like fashion.

Bye!

• @WiresDreamDisasters well that rules out the SDRUM
  • Depends what electronic sounds you want, the “E Pop” setting is modelled on an analogue drum machine. 
  • FuengiFuengi Frets: 2850
    edited December 2019
    How about a sampler? 

Edit - I meant a sequencer.
  • Fuengi said:
    How about a sampler? 

Edit - I meant a sequencer.
    My old fashioned brain wouldn't know where to start!
  • blobbblobb Frets: 2947
    Trio+ has electro and hip hop styles. Electro is pretty good, think they are based on samples by 'Top Producers' whatever that equates to.
    Feelin' Reelin' & Squeelin'
  • SDrum is the best ive used for simple good sounding drums
  • I use the big beatbuddy synced with the Ditto x4. Its an incredible tool.
  • There’s an Sdrum for sale used near me but not sure as of yet ...
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9528
    Interesting as Ive revisited the SDRUM vs Beatbuddy debate again. 

Ive bought an Aeros Loop and thought id try the BB with it... sounds great but I soon leant that I need a drum pedal for composition that I can use more ‘on the fly’.

The SDRUM is much better for this, and its easier to adjust each separate drum component.

Ive sent the BB back.
  • TheBigDipperTheBigDipper Frets: 4774
    edited March 2021
    I had a BB Mini 2 for a few months last year. It's not as powerful or flexible as its original bigger brother at all. You can't change the drum sounds or patterns. If you're playing straight ahead stuff in standard genres it might meet someones needs, but it didn't meet mine. The transition feature and having the ability to verse/chorus any pattern was nice. 

I sold it on and now use a Ditto+. I make .WAV drum loops in GarageBand or Logic and export the loops onto the pedal. That works really well for me, but YMMV.
  • Benm39Benm39 Frets: 707
    @Wazmeister , what are your thoughts on the Aeros Looper... I've been thinking of getting one but am going to wait and see what the looping is like on the FM3 I've ordered first.  Was also going to look at pairing with a BeatBuddy but will now explore the SDRUM too. Cheers
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9528
    Benm39 said:
    @Wazmeister , what are your thoughts on the Aeros Looper... I've been thinking of getting one but am going to wait and see what the looping is like on the FM3 I've ordered first.  Was also going to look at pairing with a BeatBuddy but will now explore the SDRUM too. Cheers
    Ben, that's a really good question mate...

The looper on the FM3 is the best Ive used; and Ive owned em all. It just works
    It truly inspires my playing, and has helped me improve.

The ability to record reverse guitar is exceptional, and the screen shows where the loop is, which is really helpful.

The problem is, of course, the FM3 cant save loops - which is why Ive tried the excellent Boss RC500, and now the Aeros Looper. 

The Aeros is very good indeed; Im not sure if its a keeper yet, as it is a fair outlay. Nonetheless, it is instinctive to use, sounds superb, and i really like it.

The FM3 verbs and delays are amongst the best.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Benm39Benm39 Frets: 707
    Cheers @Wazmeister , really appreciate your response.  Looking forwards to the FM3 delivery email which should be any day now and then will have a play.  Am hoping that that,  and some looping/drum fun,  will get me properly practicing and creating rather than just lazy noodling, even though I'm just a backroom /bedroom player. Nice one
  • Are you playing at home? Sorry if I missed that. Why not look into the Band-in-a-Box software... very realistic drum sounds. You can pick from hundreds of styles, and if you punch in chords (and activate the other instruments), you get an entire back-up band... bass, organ, whatever. Of course, it plays through your computer and whatever speakers you have.