Audible

menamestommenamestom Frets: 4699
edited December 2019 in Off Topic

Audible is my new thing.  I love reading actual books but don't get round to it except for on holiday.
Audible, I listen for hours a day. Before work.  Lunchtime walk.  Way home.  Dropping kids off.  Picking them up.

Quite a revelation really.   

Any good recommendations?

I’ve ‘read’ about 12 in the last 6-8 months.

The last one, Bad Blood was unbelievable.  Crazy.
Listening to The Edward Snowden book at the moment.  I like it, I like him.  Like the book before it’s a great reminder that one person standing up to systematic abuse of peoples rights can change things. It’s inspiring, just one person with morals, standards and beliefs can change things.  In the political mire, which ever side your on I find it comfortable to be reminded that books can and do transcend this shit.
So here’s to a higher purpose!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• LodiousLodious Frets: 1942
    The Sellout by Paul Beatty. Black humor in both senses of the word, very funny and beautifully read.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • LuttiSLuttiS Frets: 2244
    edited December 2019
    I'm also at that stage with audible..  I used to obsessively read books but then life got in the way. With audible I've caught up on many series that I had been reading for years and managed to 'read' many more. Bit of a revelation really. Again, like you it's commute to work, lunch etc  
  • LodiousLodious Frets: 1942
    Audible has been a great alternative to Brexit news :-)
  • If you loved bad blood, try the Evil Has A Name... Jim Clemente story - stunning.
  • Lodious said:
    The Sellout by Paul Beatty. Black humor in both senses of the word, very funny and beautifully read.
    +1 for that. Read it in bed and the missus kept telling me to shush because I kept laughing out loud. I did struggle to keep up with Afro-American cultural references though 
  • I love Audible on my drive to work so two or more hours per day.  I need to get the balance right, interesting but not so intellectually heavy that I can't dodge the other roadusers.
    I really enjoyed the Ken Follett Kingsbridge and Century Trilogies. Diverting but not dangerous to other drivers.

I find that after a while I can't remember if I read a book or listened to it