getting anoyed with my delay pedal

What's Hot
phil_bphil_b Frets: 2010
edited December 2019 in Guitar

I have a Daphon E20DL and I realise it is a budget pedal .

it seems to work fine 50% of the time but then it seems to get stuck in a loop and self generates a clicking repeat that just goes on for ever sometimes it amplifies its self getting louder and louder.

is there anything I can do to fix this or do I just need to buy a better pedal

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• CeeJayCeeJay Frets: 455
  • phil_bphil_b Frets: 2010

@CeeJay

no it looks like this

• Have you set the feedback knob too high? Or the knob is perhaps buggered. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Have you set the feedback knob too high? Or the knob is perhaps buggered. 

forgive my ignorance but it has 3 knobs delay, repeat and depth. it depth equal to feedback?
  • FuengiFuengi Frets: 2850
    phil_b said:
    Have you set the feedback knob too high? Or the knob is perhaps buggered. 

forgive my ignorance but it has 3 knobs delay, repeat and depth. it depth equal to feedback?
    It's probably the Repeat control, dial it back and see if that stops? 

I prefer more repeats and lower depth (or effect level on Boss pedals) generally but it depends on the delay type. 

Play around with it until it gives you something you like. 
  • Lower the repeat knob

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zhm3w45-o3I

at 00:27 this is the effect I was trying to emulate

I also have a vox stomplab that has delay on it also
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72307
    It could be faulty. If so the likely cause is the Repeat pot having a bad connection at the ground end so it temporarily goes to full. Depending on what exactly was happening at the time that will either produce a loop of the last sound, or a repeating click if it's amplifying the slight pop caused by the bad connection.

Whether it's fixable easily or economically is another question - some pedals can be tricky to work on.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14423
    Delay = time between echo repeats
    Repeat = number of repeats
    Depth = level mix between original signal and echo sound

phil_b said:
    it seems to work fine 50% of the time but then it seems to get stuck in a loop and self generates a clicking repeat that just goes on for ever sometimes it amplifies its self getting louder and louder.
    This is normal for a Bucket Brigade Device analogue echo processor. (Instant Dub Reggae ina-Babylon.)

On a digital delay, it suggests a defect.

phil_b said:
    is there anything I can do to fix this
    How are you powering the pedal? External +9v or internal PP3?

Levels going up and down at random can be symptomatic of a dying battery. When the voltage increases, the effect level rises with it. 

If you are using an external PSU, check that the pin polarity is correct for the delay pedal and that your effects chain does not draw more current than the PSU can consistently provide.

You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    thanks for the replies. I was powering the pedal using a battery so could very well be a symptom a the power level dropping. I do have a plug in power supply so I will give it  a go and see if it improves things.
    :o turns out it may have been a dodgy lead all along
    edited December 2019
    phil_b said:
    o turns out it may have been a dodgy lead all along
     p or maybe not
    Whereabouts are you @phil_b ? One of us might be able to help you out or test it with our gear. 
    Fuengi said:
    Whereabouts are you @phil_b ? One of us might be able to help you out or test it with our gear. 

Lisburn NI.

I have swapped over to using the stomplab now. I got a good enough sound from this now. I have only been playing a few months now so I am trying to put more effort into playing rather than fiddling with effects. So the fault is very much an unwelcome distraction. Having said that having the effect on brings you a little closer to the sound you are trying to recreate and as a beginner any step closer is encouraging

phil_b said:
    Fuengi said:

Lisburn NI.

I have swapped over to using the stomplab now. I got a good enough sound from this now. I have only been playing a few months now so I am trying to put more effort into playing rather than fiddling with effects. So the fault is very much an unwelcome distraction. Having said that having the effect on brings you a little closer to the sound you are trying to recreate and as a beginner any step closer is encouraging

I see to live in Ballymoney, not exactly on your doorstep but closer than I am now on the south coast of England. Will have to defer to more local members!

A delay is a nice tool for beginners, quite handy for timing, scales and quite inspiring, but like you say best to keep it simple and play more.