Ever have those pedal 'D'oh!' moments?

What's Hot
dogloaddogload Frets: 1495
So I was at band practice the other week with my newly rearranged pedal board, and go to step on a fuzz (a Monkey FX Monkeyfuzzle, trivia fans).
Imagine my confusion and annoyance when instead of a massive sonic fisting, all that emerges is a rather apologetic fizz. My first reaction was that the pedal must be playing up so made a mental note to check it before next practice.

Next week and an hour before leaving for practice, I remember the fuzz, so quickly swap it out for a germanium Fuzz Face Mini. Comes the moment to hit the fuzz and... nothing!

So down on my knees to check wiring and of course I had the output and input cables in the wrong way round. So that explains the Monkeyfuzzle. Gawd... What a nobber!
1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• So many times. I always have to stop myself getting carried away assuming terrible, expensive things have gone wrong with my gear and do the "dickhead checks" first.

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Footswitch and input sockets were next to each other on the front panel of my JTM60, managed to get that wrong a few times....
    This is the truth from hillbilly guitars!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

• dogload said:
     a massive sonic fisting

This is an eloquent description that I shall remember for use in the future.
    Don’t follow influencers
    Watch the parking meters
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Plugged in my brand new Jetcity JCA22H expecting sonic heaven only to be greeted with silence.

Checked cables, tubes glowing, speaker making a hiss/hum etc.

10 minutes later I turned the volume up on my guitar ;)
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Kind of a d'oh moment, but wasn't my fault. 

I bought one of those Digitech Trio + pedals, the one with the looper built in, off amazon. Anyway, plugged it in, was ready to play and I couldn't loop, the looper stomp button didn't do anything. I then try to engage the band function at least and to my surprise hitting that stomp started a loop. I was reading and re-reading the instructions for a good few hours, until I figured out that the pots had been mis-soldered!
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Accidentally plugged my acoustic into the headphone socket of my 3 track Roland looper.

Engineer was maxing the gain and fader and we did manage to get a tiny bit of signal with a LOT of noise but we could actually hear the guitar despite this, weirdly. I work with him a lot and will never live that down!

The looper is terrible for idiot moments:

Record bass guitar and drum beat on same track. Realise at the end of the verse that I need to drop out the bass for the chorus but keep the drums. Fark.

I've got a habit of occasionally trying to kick in a loop on phrases that start before the 1 as well. End up having to catch a beat or two up.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom