Gretsch bridge PUP advice.

What's Hot
I've a black single cut Electromatic. Got it for pennies so it's a keeper. 
I'm looking to have this as a one pup guitar. Use of the tone for smooth if needed. 

Standard pups have a brash charm but I'm not that kind of guy. 

Low output, I love the twang and ability to add drive at my levels. Smooth, clear, and the ability to go all slap or dirty when I feel the need.

I'd like to tap your collective minds. Shall I go vintage, new and if new who?

Many thanks.
If I had talent, I'd be talented.
Red meat and functional mushrooms.
Persistent and inconsistent guitar player.
A lefty, hence a fog of permanent frustration

Not enough guitars, pedals, and cricket bats.
USA Deluxe Strat - Martyn Booth Special - Electromatic
FX Plex - Cornell Romany
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• dazzajldazzajl Frets: 5730
    A lot might depend on which model you have and as such, how much work various changes might make for you. 
  • Get in touch with Marc at @Mojopickups, he’ll be able to wind to the sound in your head  
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 7824
    edited December 2019
    If it’s an old one with with Gretsch-buckers, then the pickups suck ass, and should be tossed.. If it’s got blacktop filtertrons, you’d be crazy to get rid of them. 

Gretsch pickups need to be right up under the strings, as close as they will go. That’s where the magic happens. 

If it’s Blacktops, then From the sound of your discription, I’d recommend a Supertron (or Supertron plus)  - that should be perfect. 

Very ballsy, a touch smoother than TV Classics, more powerful, chimey as hell. Sound beautiful clean, and will deliver awesome rock tones when troubled with overdrive. 

I recommend using with just one single volume pot. If you must have a tone switch, get one that takes the pot out of the circuit when rolled all the way off.  Makes a big different if you’re playing rock. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14411
    FastEddie said:
    I've a black single cut Electromatic.
    dazzajl said:
    which model
    Solid, semi-hollow or fully hollow? Also what type of bridge? These features will have some bearing on any pickup suggestions. 

For example, there would be no point recommending DynaSonic or Filter'Tron type pickups for an arch top hollow body that requires the pickup to be suspending on a bracket from the pickguard or the end of the fingerboard.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • dazzajl said:
    A lot might depend on which model you have and as such, how much work various changes might make for you. 
    https://cdn.mos.cms.futurecdn.net/hMzAFWCon5pFZmuF3iYwjZ-1200-80.jpg

Mine is an older version of this, lefty. 

FX Plex - Cornell Romany
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14411
    Missing from TheMarlin’s comments earlier is the magic brand name, TV Jones.

Lovely pickups but increasingly expensive to purchase new due to the feeble £:$ exchange rate.

Even if you choose not to buy any TVJ pickups, their Choose Your Sound web page should prove a useful guide.

UK-made ‘Tron clones are available. I have not tried any. Hence, I cannot comment on them.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 7824
    edited December 2019
    FastEddie said:
    dazzajl said:

Does it have the same pickups, or different pickups?

this pickups in this picture are Blacktop Filtertrons. They’re freaking awesome pickups. Absolutely nothing wrong with them. 

Just get them as close to the strings as you can without them touching the strings when strumming...they’ll sound epic. 

If the pickups look like the same as in this older Pro-Jet (pre 2008) https://imgur.com/a/rI4t6ck them they’re useless. Throw them in the bin and get something better.  Note, a soapbar P90 will drip into that particular route with minor fettling 
  • TheMarlin said:
    FastEddie said:
    dazzajl said:

Does it have the same pickups, or different pickups?

this pickups in this picture are Blacktop Filtertrons. They’re freaking awesome pickups. Absolutely nothing wrong with them. 

Just get them as close to the strings as you can without them touching the strings when strumming...they’ll sound epic. 

If the pickups look like the same as in this older Pro-Jet (pre 2008) https://imgur.com/a/rI4t6ck them they’re useless. Throw them in the bin and get something better.  Note, a soapbar P90 will drip into that particular route with minor fettling 
    It is these but I want to change them.
    As I said, they have a brash charm but that's not what I am looking for.
    I just want a bridge pup and will change the wiring to suit as well. 

Is there a classic sounding pup you recommend which will be clear and take drive and fuzz when anger calls....

FX Plex - Cornell Romany
  • CorvusCorvus Frets: 2925
    tFB Trader
    A trad style Filtertron should fit the bill nicely, twang, clean, dirt fuzz all that stuff, they're sweeter smoother & fatter than Blacktops. I liked Blacktops with dirt though cos of the reduced bottom end.
    If you go for an 8k type they do the same basic thing but are more middy.
    TV Jones, Mojo etc. I have three from Fletcher pickups i'm very happy with.

But to drop straight in to those surrounds you have to either get the right mounting, not the usual direct mount to wood. Or I think TVJ does adaptors. Not totally sure about this but think if you went direct mount plus trad surrounds, the chrome surround screw holes aren't totally covered - as i say not 100% sure though.
  • enteeentee Frets: 93
    edited December 2019
    Missing from TheMarlin’s comments earlier is the magic brand name, TV Jones.
    You can ask TVJ to custom wind too, if you really want to burn the budget   When I built a 6199 Thunderbird tribute he was very helpful with pickup choices - we came up with a Power’tron Plus with a split (to thin it out a bit when needed) at the bridge, in a DeArmond mount.
    Vox 24, Variax 700, Epiphone Dot Studio (Cats Whiskers pups, custom inlay, custom pickguard), Gretsch 5238T (P90s/B3), Gibson Les Paul Zoot (rainbow), Gretsch 5135 PS, 'Graick' G2312TVR, BarileleBo (electric baritone ukulele G6199).
  • TV Jones are great, just very expensive on this side of the pond. 

Unless you are a total Gretsch nerd, I suspect that there are a number of UK winders who could do something similar for you for a lot less. I have a set of Monty’s Filtertrons, which are more like a Gibson PAF than a Filtertron. The Creamery and Mojo also get a lot of love. And based on one pickup I have from him, I think Ben Fletcher does very good stuff at hard to beat prices.
  • dazzajldazzajl Frets: 5730
    It sounds like a straight up Gretsch brand filtertron would be just what you’re looking for. A sideways step from the grit of what you have to a little clearer and more jangly. Usually easy to find used, from people that felt it worth changing to TV Jones versions too. 
  • FastEddieFastEddie Frets: 535
    edited December 2019
    So much love. Thanks.
    Ideally it would bright and clear at volume but then be able to take drive and fizzy fuzzyness with lashings of lovely slap, verb, and trem.....

Price isn't a worry as it's not hundreds in the difference. 

FX Plex - Cornell Romany