I'm probably going veggie, maybe, but don't hold me to it.

What's Hot
Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24209
edited December 2019 in Off Topic
I was just investigating halal slaughter as I was contemplating a beef curry tonight and I quickly came to the conclusion that I don't want to be responsible for the deaths of any more innocent animals.  The look on the face of a cow about to be killed was heartbreaking.

I think as a nation of animal lovers, but also mostly carnivores, we have largely made a conscious effort to avoid thinking of the reality of meat production and slaughter.  I reckon if people were to be reminded of how the meat they were about to pick off the shelf actually got there, many would think twice.

I'm not sure how I'm going to cope as a lifelong carnivore that absolutely adores chicken and bacon, but I am going to give it my best shot.

Are there any vegetarians here who have any tips or recipes for the newly converted ?
Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.
Also chips are "Plant-based" no matter how you cook them.
1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• SnagsSnags Frets: 5326
    Check out Bosh! and also Thug Kitchen (needlessly sweary but good).

And remember being imperfectly veggie is better than not being veggie at all.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom
  • robgilmorobgilmo Frets: 3359
    I have been thinking about this for a while now, I reckon I will get crimbo out of the way then go for it. Good on you man.
    A Deuce , a Tele and a cup of tea.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • NikcNikc Frets: 627
    Its easier now than its ever been there are many options. If you fall of the wagon pick yourself up dust off and give it another go - good luck - also watch game changers on netflix ;)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Emp_Fab said:
    I was just investigating halal slaughter as I was contemplating a beef curry tonight and I quickly came to the conclusion that I don't want to be responsible for the deaths of any more innocent animals.  The look on the face of a cow about to be killed was heartbreaking.

I think as a nation of animal lovers, but also mostly carnivores, we have largely made a conscious effort to avoid thinking of the reality of meat production and slaughter.  I reckon if people were to be reminded of how the meat they were about to pick off the shelf actually got there, many would think twice.

I'm not sure how I'm going to cope as a lifelong carnivore that absolutely adores chicken and bacon, but I am going to give it my best shot.

Are there any vegetarians here who have any tips or recipes for the newly converted ?
    Firstly, bold move and well done. I have been fully vegan for a few years now and I have never felt better. You will get over meat very very quickly, I promise.

Secondly, I note that you specified 'halal slaughter' - whilst I appreciate that the majority of this country has just elected a brazen Islamophobe back into the prime minister's office, I can assure you that, whilst I personally believe and maintain as evidenced by my vegan lifestyle that all animal slaughter is barbaric and completely unnecessary, non-halal slaughter is often crueler and more horrific than halal methods.
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 18382
    Don't try to categorise yourself as being 'veggie' 'vegan' or anything else & don't let other people try to tell you what to do & what you should eat, do or how to behave.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • Being veggie/ having a more plant based diet is easier than ever these days. Not so many options in supermarkets or restaurants 38 years ago when I started ( variously vegetarian, vegan and pescatarian over time - the labels aren’t particularly important but they do what labels are quite good at doing which is giving you an idea of what’s inside). 
    I don’t know any tips, marrying someone who’s a decent cook helped me a lot. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33725
    Emp_Fab said:

Start with flexitarian and see if it works for you.

• sev112sev112 Frets: 2739
    I struggle with mushrooms 
  • ftumchftumch Frets: 679
    I 100% support anyone trying this, good on you. I'm an animal lover but was also a hardcore meat eater up until about 3 years ago. My friend is a vegan and is a heavy poster of animal rights media, that's what made me decide to give it a go after many more years of saying I should do it.
    I started by giving up beef pork duck etc. And just eat chicken and fish and replaced most meals with veg options. I'm not vegan yet but  whilst pretty much every meal I used to eat included meat of some sort, I now eat 90% veggie, fish maybe once or twice a week and a cheeky chicken kebab prob every two weeks. It's not ideal I know but I've made a huge effort and every time I dont eat meat I'm making a difference so i try not to beat myself up too much when I do. 
    Just do your best is all, it gets easier. I find I dont miss meat at all now in fact mostly I dont WANT to eat it rather than feeling like I'm depriving myself.
    Some things to try if you feel you want the meat experience

Impossible burgers (I've grown to love linda mcartney mozzarella quarter pounders for a burger fix but these are more er..meaty)
    Quorn southern fried chicken strips
    Tesco quorn mince for all your chillies, bolognese etc. Its better than quorn mince (dont cook it long it goes horrid, add it last thing just to heat it through)
    BOSH books are great! Theres a sticky shiitake mushroom recipe which is as good as anything I've ever cooked! I'll pm you it.

Good luck ;) 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • slackerslacker Frets: 2216
    I still eat meat sometimes but eat vegetarian and vegan at least 50% of the time. Now this is really an IMHO situation and nothing actually wrong with it but I cannot see the point of meat substitutes. Just eat veg. Thug kitchen is xxxxing great. Having said that home made black bean burgers are great. Bake the beans to dry them before blending. 

• John_PJohn_P Frets: 2744
    I’ve been 99% veggie for about a year - don’t beat yourself up if you’re in a situation where there is only meat or fish available.      
    Try so. I the Linda McCartney and Quorn products as a way to ease yourself into it.    The LM burgers are very good and the quorn southern fried nuggets and burgers an sausage rolls etc are all fine.      Quorn mince is ok if you adapt the cookin as it’s drier and needs more spices or flavouring.   

Just check out some alternatives hen shopping and go for it.  
  • I turned vegetarian in 1982. My daughter has never eaten meat and, when she was small and we went to the supermarket, she always used to ask "Daddy, can we go to see the dead animals" and I'd have to take her down the butcher's aisle. She couldn't believe that people would put lumps of dead animal in shops next to food. Now I have William Burroughs "Naked Lunch" syndrome. That's when you really see whats on the end of your fork. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • For those who have gone vegetarian, what do you think the health benefits have been ? Have you felt better ?
  • GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 4027
    Emp_Fab said:
    (1). Stop eating crap.
    (2). Make sure it hasn’t got animal in it.

Seriously, this is it.
    That’s all there is to it.
    Other than don’t broadcast it. Enjoy it.

• For those who have gone vegetarian, what do you think the health benefits have been ? Have you felt better ?
    Having not eaten meat all my adult life I can’t really say, I suspect I’d be a greedy, lazy bastard regardless of my diet. I do, however, come from a family of people with high blood pressure but I’ve never that so I suspect not eating meat may have helped. Although I also don’t smoke and only drink in moderation.*
    But it’s very easy to eat a crap vegetarian diet ( and I  often do) - too much dairy, too many carbs, salty meat substitutes. 

* real moderation, not the what you tell your doctor type moderation. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11811
    For those who have gone vegetarian, what do you think the health benefits have been ? Have you felt better ?
    I know that the Japanese are like 97% meat eaters and they have the longest life expectancy.

I personally seriously doubt going vegetarian have any factual health benefits since eating chips 3 meals a day for a month constitutes as being a vegetarian but we all know doing that is not healthy.

So I don’t equate going vegetarian as being healthy, even if you end up eating nothing but salads, that’s still isn’t healthy as you need fats in your diet, you need protein in your diet.

its all a able balance.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33725
    For those who have gone vegetarian, what do you think the health benefits have been ? Have you felt better ?
    I know that the Japanese are like 97% meat eaters and they have the longest life expectancy.

I personally seriously doubt going vegetarian have any factual health benefits since eating chips 3 meals a day for a month constitutes as being a vegetarian but we all know doing that is not healthy.

So I don’t equate going vegetarian as being healthy, even if you end up eating nothing but salads, that’s still isn’t healthy as you need fats in your diet, you need protein in your diet.

its all a able balance.
    They don't eat as much meat as we do in the west though.
    Like anything it is all about dosage.
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11811
    octatonic said:

its all a able balance.
    They don't eat as much meat as we do in the west though.
    Like anything it is all about dosage.
    Like I said, it’s all about balance.

• digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26453
    edited December 2019
    Emp_Fab said:

I'm not veggie, but my wife is and thus I probably eat vegetarian about half the time - especially when I'm cooking, because I can't be arsed cooking two meals. I'm also slowly learning to cook properly, and therefore most of the new interesting recipes I look at are vegetarian.

The conclusion I've come to, from the perspective of a meat eater looking for non-meat meals, is that mushrooms are your friends. Look for different varieties, and experiment with them; they take sauces really well, and in big chunks they add a good bit of texture to a meal too. Just be careful not to overcook them, otherwise they'll fall apart or go soggy, which defeats the point of using them to ease the transition.

Not only that, but if you've got the time then making your own mushroom and/or veg stock is brilliant for adding a bit more body and (ironically) a meaty taste to gravies and sauces. If you've got a pressure cooker handy, it barely takes any time at all (probably an hour or so including prep time) and you can make a couple of litres of the stuff at a time.

Also...start using fresh herbs. Even better, buy some potted ones to give you a headstart on growing your own. Makes a world of difference compared to the dried stuff, and when you're going from meat to veggie...you need to be adding all the flavour you can get your hands on. Seasoning's going to become hugely important for you, as well; that'll take a bit of getting used to, if our experience is anything to go by. Get yourself some low-sodium salt (given your history), and you might end up using a bit more than you'd expect. Also bear in mind that short of going for seaweed and the like, there aren't many ingredients available that will self-season a meal like bacon does (which is actually a huge part of the reason people love bacon - it makes everything better because it's salty, not necessarily because of its own taste).

Finally...my wife finds most store-bought meals (and a lot of vegetarian meals in cheaper restaurants and pubs) really bland, so she usually has a couple of different varieties of hot sauces around to add a bit of pep to otherwise-boring food.
    <space for hire>
  • Mate, been waiting for you to do this, looking at your posts you could see it coming.
    Good & brave move, especially as you find it difficult.
    It definitely is easier now than ever, fake meat has improved massively for one thing. Check out Vivera fake steaks, they make fake bacon as well. Vegan Butcher (yes really) non-chicken stuff which I think is now called "what the cluck"
    Also the variety of veg & mushrooms is huge & worth exploring- things like cauliflower rice & cauliflower steaks are great. I used to hate cauliflower until my other half made these.

My other half is qualified as a nutritional therapist (who mainly worked with vegans & vegetarians) if you want to PM us she might be able to give you some pointers, especially on supplements.

I'd echo what @Grunfeld says in points 1 & 2 & also not broadcasting it. I tend not to discuss it with people unless they genuinely want to have a proper conversation & not a slanging match, or an attempt to get a rise.

All the best & may the road rise etc