I'm probably going veggie, maybe, but don't hold me to it.

What's Hot

Comments

• strtdvstrtdv Frets: 2356
    DrJazzTap said:

If Soya milk is cheaper than regular milk i would get that over normal milk.  It tastes so much better.
    We did try soya, not for us. It's funny a few of my friends have all moved away from drinking cows milk and onto different types. One of them swears by oat milk. 
    We dont drink that much milk, just in our morning coffee and for porridge. Hazelnut or almond works for us in coffee. Still haven't found anything that works in tea, almond is okay but does taste a little odd. Our main concern is getting one that is unsweetened.
    This is where the environmental argument for veganism hits a bump. Soya is not very environmentally friendly, neither are almonds. Better to buy locally produced milk from pasture grazed cattle.
    Robot Lords of Tokyo, SMILE TASTE KITTENS!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • wibblewibble Frets: 1083
    I wonder if people's eating habits will change once Boris and Donny have their trade deal?

Leaving chlorinated chicken and hormone treated beef aside, where do people stand on GM crops?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 4027
    wibble said:

Leaving chlorinated chicken and hormone treated beef aside, where do people stand on GM crops?

I've not seen any evidence about the so-called risks of GM that are based in good science.
    On the other hand the benefits of GM seem straight-forward.
    GM is another one of those issues where some people have strong emotional reactions and are "anti" based on those emotions. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • GMO's have already saved millions of lives in places such as India. So I'm pro GMO.

Bye!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • GMO's have already saved millions of lives in places such as India. So I'm pro GMO.
    This.

Meanwhile, the dangers of excessive hormone treatment and chlorination (or, rather, the stuff that chlorination covers up) in livestock are extremely well-documented.

The folk that conflate the "dangers" of GMOs with such things perfectly represent the slow death of facts and knowledge that we're currently spectators to.

(I wasn't referring to @wibble by the way)
    <space for hire>
  • strtdvstrtdv Frets: 2356
    GMO's have already saved millions of lives in places such as India. So I'm pro GMO.
    This.
    Drought and flood resistant wheat has already saved many lives.
    There's also work to produce staple crops which synthesise vitamins in areas where deficiency is common (vitamin a deficiency is the commonest cause of childhood blindness in developing countries and is easily solved by using GM rice).

GMO scaremongers fall into the same category as anti-vaxxers in my opinion.
    Robot Lords of Tokyo, SMILE TASTE KITTENS!
  • skayskay Frets: 391
    wibble said:
    I wonder if people's eating habits will change once Boris and Donny have their trade deal?

I don't understand this view, as if Americans only eat chlorinated chicken and hormone treated beef, they do have other/better quality food options as well.

Whenever I look into the best quality food, it's always the American companies that sell the grass fed/grass finished beef and other high quality products that you can't buy from a UK supermarket. 

Why would a deal only involve the cheapest food, why not giving us easier access to the amazing steaks and other top quality stuff they also have?

With so many comparison web sites out there, how do I choose the best one?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24209
    strtdv said:
    GMO's have already saved millions of lives in places such as India. So I'm pro GMO.
    GMO scaremongers fall into the same category as anti-vaxxers in my opinion.

Oh yeah ?  Well, explain what's happened to my fucking asparagus then....

Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.
    Also chips are "Plant-based" no matter how you cook them.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • skay said:
    wibble said:

I don't understand this view, as if Americans only eat chlorinated chicken and hormone treated beef, they do have other/better quality food options as well.

Whenever I look into the best quality food, it's always the American companies that sell the grass fed/grass finished beef and other high quality products that you can't buy from a UK supermarket. 

Why would a deal only involve the cheapest food, why not giving us easier access to the amazing steaks and other top quality stuff they also have?
    It wouldn't. Without trying to turn this into a Brexit thread...the mildly affluent and above have always had access to high quality food. The concern is that everything will turn into a race to the bottom below that, to the point where those with less money will have little choice but to go with the food that's responsible for one in seven US citizens getting food poisoning on an annual basis.

When a new process is allowed to come into the market which results in cheaper food but with lower standards, the result is always to create a line in the middle - with everything below that line sinking to the lowest standards to remain competitive, and the shrinking market share for the products above that line forcing their prices upwards to survive. Ergo...the quality food will become more expensive, and the cheaper food will be made to worse standards with no controls to force the producers to behave.
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • skayskay Frets: 391
    skay said:
    wibble said:

It wouldn't. Without trying to turn this into a Brexit thread...the mildly affluent and above have always had access to high quality food. The concern is that everything will turn into a race to the bottom below that, to the point where those with less money will have little choice but to go with the food that's responsible for one in seven US citizens getting food poisoning on an annual basis.

When a new process is allowed to come into the market which results in cheaper food but with lower standards, the result is always to create a line in the middle - with everything below that line sinking to the lowest standards to remain competitive, and the shrinking market share for the products above that line forcing their prices upwards to survive. Ergo...the quality food will become more expensive, and the cheaper food will be made to worse standards with no controls to force the producers to behave.
    Well, when you put it like that... ;-)

With so many comparison web sites out there, how do I choose the best one?

• Modulus_AmpsModulus_Amps Frets: 2569
    tFB Trader
    I did the one thing I thought I would never do, I went veggie after my South African Trip in October, I have loved eating meat but a change was due, this was the result of three things

• The food on offer in Cape Town was so much nicer and fresher with lots of vegie and vegan options
    • Watching the Joe Cross movie, fat sick and nearly dead - ok great for those guys but I am not that sick
    • and then watching the game changers movie on netflix - sport performance improvement.

Environment and animal welfare are not motivating factors for me

So that's nearly three months now, I don't miss meat other than steak.

I have felt measurable benefits, I used to suffer from fatigue a lot and often would have hypo's when doing heavy exercise due to poor blood sugar control, I now have more stamina, exercise longer and harder and have not had a hypo since I started the diet.
    I have also managed to cut my coffee intake to one in the morning, I used to drink 10 - 15 cups just to get through the day before.

On the other side my wifes blood pressure was a bit high and it did start to come down, but she does not feel the diet has had any positive effect on her like I do.

The biggest challenge is getting enough protein without depending on diary too heavily, I am trying to avoid hormonal fluid by-products.

We all have our reasons for things, I am going to stick with it as it makes me feel better. loads of good recipe ideas about, I think relying on a meat heavy diet leads to boring food actually, we have much greater variety now and it can be delicious

good luck
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • spark240 said:

Vegetable Lasagne is good, Salmon stir fry, Meat free Pizza is easy, then always the Fish & chip shop !

Fish are still animals and therefore not vegetarian.

• Emp_Fab said:
    I've now got two Thug Kitchen books, the BOSH! book and River Cottage's Veg book.  I might have a nosey at Jamie Oliver's latest one too.  I've also ordered a tofu press.

Next week I'm ordering a kaftan, a hookah pipe, some dream catchers and patchouli oil.
    I have a lot of veggie cookbooks. The new Jamie oliver one is pretty good.  Several recipes that have become firm favourites very quickly in our house.       I cant stand tofu, in any form, but to each their own.  Try Paneer cheese.  Its great fired in cubes and put in a curry.  

• spark240spark240 Frets: 2073
    spark240 said:

Vegetable Lasagne is good, Salmon stir fry, Meat free Pizza is easy, then always the Fish & chip shop !

I think you mean Vegan...

Mac Mini M1
    Presonus Studio One V5
     https://www.studiowear.co.uk/ -
     https://twitter.com/spark240
     Facebook - m.me/studiowear.co.uk
    Reddit r/newmusicreview 
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • “Ken sent me.”
  • jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12257
    edited December 2019
    Made an absolutely delicious chick pea Dahl last night, finelychop 2 large onions, fry off with 4 crushed garlic cloves, throw in 6 finely chopped tomatoes, add 2 cups cooked red lentils, tin of chick peas,2- 3tablespoons curry powder of your choice, large knob of Vegan Flora Buttery, add a cup of water simmer for 20 mins. Server with flat breads from Hugh FW's veg book. Well nice, cheap too. You don't need the butter in it, it just adds a bit of luxury.
    "OUR TOSSPOT"
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2873
    edited December 2019
    We’ve gone veggie a few times and it’s not too bad but I struggle a bit due to IBS which means a lot of the spicy stuff and beans, pulses etc are off the menu if I don’t want to spend all day with stomach cramps and near a toilet at all times! Shame cause I love eating a lot of it and don’t miss the meat. One tip I remember is add a good dollop of marmite to sauces. It just adds a nice meaty richness.
  • spark240 said:
    spark240 said:

I think you mean Vegan...
    No.     Vegans exclude all animal products including milk, cheese, eggs, leather, etc.   Vegetarians do not eat animals.  Fish are animals and if you eat them you are a Pescatarian not a Vegetarian.  

• vizviz Frets: 10644
    I seem to remember you don’t eat fish either, Emp_Fab? Nevertheless your choices are not limited. Veggie is great. I agree with others that the answer is not to try and substitute meat but just to have a plant-based diet - lentils, beans, chickpeas, etc. Moroccan, Indian, stir-fry, and of course veggie lasagne, mushroom risotto etc. Lots of lovely stuff to choose from. 
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • TheMarlin said:
    If you can cook, being a veggie is a delight, and easy. 

I’d you can’t, you’ll end up buying a lots of heavily processed crap from the supermarkets. I’m convinced that heavily processed foods are worse for you than eating meat. 

Most of the vegan stuff in the supermarkets has a scary looking set of ingredients. Have you looked at the ingredients list on most packets of ‘wraps’?

Finally, be careful with Quorn. It’s a mould from soil grown in labs on a chemical slurry. It’s harvested, bleached, then sold to you as a heathy protein source.  I tried it once (30 years ago, when they marketed it as mushroom protein (they were fined for that)), I had an allergic reaction to it.   A lot of people do. 

Stick to fresh ingredients, you can’t go wrong. 
    I'd agree with this, we have cut down our Quorn intake considerably and if we were't so lazy we would have probably eradicated it by now. It's no point switching from processed meat to just eat processed meat replacement products. I'm trying a vegan style diet in the new year and intend make more stuff from fresh.