Anyone got any experience with The Painted Player Guitars??

What's Hot
Hi All
I have often looked at the guitars created by The Painted Player, however they seem a little pricey, although I do understand that time is money LoL
Has anyone on here owned one? And if so would you mind sharing your thoughts

Thanks

Andrew
2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14699
    Check his eBay Feedback. Somebody is buying what he churns out. (It Ain’t Me, Babe.) On this forum, TPP is largely a figure of fun. 

Caveat emptor.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • If I could buy entry level guitars, dress them up in expensive suits and then sell them for the price of a custom shop, I'd do so. 

I wouldn't dream of paying someone else to do it, especially this clown. 

PS...you should also take a look at his T&Cs ...you may not like the idea much after doing that! There are plenty of people on here who could make you a stunning guitar for that money, that would blow away an Epiphone in lipstick  

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
  • Thanks guys I get the picture - Steering clear cheers

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • He also claims that The Painted Player is a registered trade mark - it’s easy enough to check and it isn’t. This is actually illegal, and even at best it’s a deliberate attempt to decieve. The photos are not of the actual guitar you’re getting, so who knows what would turn up.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • CeeJayCeeJay Frets: 455
    I've just read his T&Cs. I've never read such a load of nonsense in all my days! 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • ColsCols Frets: 7225
    By and large, what you get is a stock instrument (occasionally with upgraded parts) with a massive markup for decorations or relicing.  His T&Cs are detailed, hilarious and illegal.  

That said, I haven’t actually heard of anyone who’s been done over by him.  The forum ire is largely as a result of the grossly inflated prices and his position that a) what you actually receive may differ from the pictures on eBay and b) once the guitar has been handed to the courier he has no further responsibility for it.

If you’re happy paying that much for decoration - for example, £900 for an Epiphone G400 painted like Clapton’s Cream era SG (which, to be fair, is probably quite a complex job - but still, the base guitar is £300 tops) - he’s probably fine.
  • Occasionally, S/H examples of TPP's wares turn up on eBay - and they look NOTHING like the stuff on the TPP website/For Sale listings...

HarrySeven - Intangible Asset Appraiser & Wrecker of Civilisation. Searching for weird guitars - so you don't have to.
    Forum feedback thread.    |     G&B interview #1 & #2   |  https://www.instagram.com/_harry_seven_/ 

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • GoldenEraGuitarsGoldenEraGuitars Frets: 8825
    tFB Trader
    I’m gutted. I recently lost a customer to TPP because I wouldn’t build the guitar out of a finished Fender licensed body, a finished fender licensed neck, fender licensed hardware and fender licensed pickups. 

Yes, whatever is going through your head right now is exactly what I thought too ;) :D
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28352
    I know nothing about the company, but I'm not sure why people here are so negative?? It's just someone trying to make a living through selling guitars. 
    6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I’ve looked at his copies of the Slash /Joe Perry guitar but like they say on here it’s a bit pricey 
  • axisus said:
    I know nothing about the company, but I'm not sure why people here are so negative?? It's just someone trying to make a living through selling guitars. 
    I’m negative because THe Painted Player is breaking the law. 
    You can’t rebadge a Squier as a Fender or an Epiphone as a Gibson, mark up the price and sell it on regardless of how you repaint the body- it’s fraudulent & illegal. 
    There’s even a Rickenbacker on there, which is playing with fire. 
  • I don’t like his rebadging and shady terms and conditions. I guess you could say some of custom paint jobs look ok for a decorative piece, but the relic stuff is shocking.
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28352
    axisus said:
    I’m negative because THe Painted Player is breaking the law. 
    You can’t rebadge a Squier as a Fender or an Epiphone as a Gibson, mark up the price and sell it on regardless of how you repaint the body- it’s fraudulent & illegal. 
    There’s even a Rickenbacker on there, which is playing with fire. 
    OK, well that is clearly a bad thing. Thanks for informing me!
    tFB Trader
    Plenty of folk out there building fender branded fakes and selling them for a massive profit.... he must be selling them if he’s still in business 
  • I’m gutted. I recently lost a customer to TPP because I wouldn’t build the guitar out of a finished Fender licensed body, a finished fender licensed neck, fender licensed hardware and fender licensed pickups. 

Yes, whatever is going through your head right now is exactly what I thought too ;) :D
    This one?
    EBay item 324015833554 
    tFB Trader
    I’m gutted. I recently lost a customer to TPP because I wouldn’t build the guitar out of a finished Fender licensed body, a finished fender licensed neck, fender licensed hardware and fender licensed pickups. 

This one?
    EBay item 324015833554 
    No. I was asked to supply all fender parts for the build. The customer hadn’t done his homework about us so he didn’t know that we don’t assemble guitars using urethane finished fender parts.

From memory he also said he had always wanted to own a fender. I had to tell him that buying a fender partscaster at £2500 (that was TPP quote) still wouldn’t give him a fender. 
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Fishboy7Fishboy7 Frets: 2242

How bizarre – why not just buy one of the thousands of guitars assembled by Fender?  

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Fishboy7 said:

How bizarre – why not just buy one of the thousands of guitars assembled by Fender?  

A fool and his money...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    Fishboy7 said:

The guitar in question was a high end CS model that was discontinued. So, spending £2500 seemed like a good deal.

We quoted significantly less for what would be a closer replica to the original (even though we don’t like doing replica stuff).
  • AflfAflf Frets: 24
    No contact name and address? Isn't it illegal already to have a business web site without an imprint?
    In Germany you would have an 'Attorney at warning' directly at your trouser's leg :/

When I google the phone number I find:
    thejohnwalshweddingcarcompany.co.uk