General Gaming thread

What's Hot

Comments

• beed84beed84 Frets: 2406
    Fingers crossed EA don’t balls this up:

https://youtu.be/w0eRkhR1z6A

And if it’s VR enabled ... well no more needs to be said, really.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • dafuzzdafuzz Frets: 1522
    Housemate's currently playing Death Stranding while I sup a margarita. 2 hours in

It's a bit grim. Do not like
    All practice and no theory
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26922
    Slightly disappointed that new Star Wars isn’t going to be PS5. I guess it’s built on the same engine as Battlefront 2 so has been done fairly quickly and to similar levels of detail. It certainly looks pretty though - looking forward to seeing some actual gameplay. 

I finished God of War and Ratchet & Clank since last posting I’m here. Both good, GOW really great. Not sure what’s next; maybe getting back into Outer Workds. Or Resi 2
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • beed84 said:

Well you are in luck because it is VR enabled, with multi player on line!
  • guitargeek62guitargeek62 Frets: 4130
    Slightly disappointed that new Star Wars isn’t going to be PS5. I guess it’s built on the same engine as Battlefront 2 so has been done fairly quickly and to similar levels of detail. It certainly looks pretty though - looking forward to seeing some actual gameplay. 
    Aye, but at least they’re not charging full price for a game that is likely a standalone version of the starfighter side of BF2! It’s the first game I’ve preordered in yonks
  • FarleyUKFarleyUK Frets: 2383
    beed84 said:

Eurgh, so another multiplayer focused buggy loot-box heavy EA release?

All we want is a remake of X-Wing and TIE Fighter!
  • TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 7824
    edited June 2020
    I know EA are releasing a Star Wars shooter. It’s going to cost £40, contains no micropayments, I would assume that means no loot crates. 

Forget the title, could be this one. 

Edit: found it. Star Wars: Squadrons Confirms It Won't Have Controversial Feature
    https://flip.it/Dr-Aox
    They've said no microtransactions. So I'm kinda assuming just a ton of regular DLC that should have been part of the main game...
  • guitargeek62guitargeek62 Frets: 4130
    FarleyUK said:
    beed84 said:

Eurgh, so another multiplayer focused buggy loot-box heavy EA release?

All we want is a remake of X-Wing and TIE Fighter!
    No loot-boxes, but yes - possibly a buggy launch, but that's become the norm for any AAA-led release these days. Still, they fixed it pretty quick and BF2 plays very smoothly nowadays so I'm not too concerned really.

As much as I'd love a re-make of XvT, it's not likely to happen again anytime soon. There's too much demand for a multiplayer game these days, plus they have to ensure it's accessible to console players and those who may be less familiar with more advanced flight-sim style gameplay. The X-wing missions on the BF2 expansion pack were brilliant, so again - I'm not too concerned about their ability to nail SW:Sqaudrons, assuming it follows the same recipe. :)
  • PolarityManPolarityMan Frets: 7281
    So I've stalled near the end of doom eternal. Just released the icon of sin so Im pretty close to the end..but for some reason instead of finishign that, or working on th 8 unfinshed songs Ive started during lock down I have instead started levelling a new class in diablo 3......oops
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • Arktik83Arktik83 Frets: 431
    Finished Until Dawn 100% today.  I thoroughly enjoyed that!  Pre-ordered The Last of Us 2 but that won't arrive until Friday at the earliest so am at a bit of a loose end as I can't be arsed to go back to try and continue to 100% persona 5.  
  • dafuzz said:
    Housemate's currently playing Death Stranding while I sup a margarita. 2 hours in

It's a bit grim. Do not like
    You need better tequila ;) 
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • On subject of DLC/mtx...

I have Sega mega drive carts with their price on. Sonic 2 had a price of £45 and was released in 1992.

Adjusted to today, that's £80 (source: https://www.inflationtool.com/british-pound/1992-to-present-value?amount=45)

It had a much smaller dev team than most games. 

Would you be prepared to pay £80 for a video game? I would. Actually, for a full, well thought out experience such as Diablo 2, Final Fantasy 8, Skyrim, GTA I'd probably be prepared to go higher, on a promise of no mtx and any expansion will be charged far lower (I'd expect an expansion to be perhaps £15-£20 given they're generally about 1/4 the size of the full SP game). 

I don't think most people would pay this, though. More and more games are doing the opposite - going free, but full of ads and mtx. Yukky...

Net result of that model, in my opinion, is a hodge podge, multiplayer focused game that focuses on addiction/"hits" rather than a well crafted single player experience.

There are, as ever, exceptions... 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • maraudermarauder Frets: 133
    I can remember some Atari VCS cart costing £30 in 1981, gaming is cheaper than its ever been.
    I'm still a cheapskate with modern games though, wait for second hand at under £15.
    But how many copies did Sonic 2 sell, and how much did each cartridge cost to physically make? 

I’m not saying games aren’t cheaper than they were - they absolutely are and I love this bit of a console generation where you inevitably have a list of loads of games them at are now about £12 each, but I’d like to see it analysed properly
  • dafuzzdafuzz Frets: 1522
    edited June 2020
    Street Fighter II on SNES was £65 and iirc Super Monaco GP on Megadrive was £80

EDIT also I think Neo Geo games were £120ish. The stuff of dreams back then!

These days I rarely buy a game costing more than £25
    All practice and no theory
  • dafuzz said:
    Street Fighter II on SNES was £65 and iirc Super Monaco GP on Megadrive was £80

EDIT also I think Neo Geo games were £120ish. The stuff of dreams back then!

These days I rarely buy a game costing more than £25
    I paid £260 for a Neo Geo cart way back then
    0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • But how many copies did Sonic 2 sell, and how much did each cartridge cost to physically make? 

I’m not saying games aren’t cheaper than they were - they absolutely are and I love this bit of a console generation where you inevitably have a list of loads of games them at are now about £12 each, but I’d like to see it analysed properly
    Definitely, there is now economy of scale, different distribution, the teams making them are huge... 

It is interesting that many old games are more replayable than modern. Maybe I'm getting old! 
    Finished the RE2 remake with both characters. Good fun and definitely recommended. I never played the original so I don't know how it compares overall. Definitely a bit less scary the second go through as you know the basic layout and broadly what jumps/panics to expect when but overall very enjoyable. 

Now going back to Horizon:ZD again as the DLC is only 4 quid and meant to be excellent.

Ghost of Tsushima and the new Paper Mario are both out tomorrow and reviewing well, so will likely try one of those next. 

I really want to play The Last of Us 2 as well but wondering if it's a bit misery-fest for the current circumstances, and I'm assuming it'll be upgraded/upscaled or whatever on PS5 so no hurry.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • I’m gonna desperately want Paper Mario but still on Luigis Mansion 3 so I shall hold off for a while.