Are dead cheap violins or violas definitely rubbish?

What's Hot
The good lady wants to buy me something for Xmas, I saw a cheap cello in a local discount shop (very random) and it reminded me I'd like to have a go on a violin or viola. Seen lots of cheap ones with mixed reviews on Amazon etc, are the dirt cheap ones completely pointless and therefore wasteful?

I don't need a brilliant instrument but one which stays in tune and will enable me to learn the basics etc

Cheers
Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14422
    Budget violins tend to be aimed at beginners and schools. Good enough to get started on but, ultimately, disappointing. 

A budget electric violin might be of greater use to you. At the very least, you can plug one in to your guitar amp/processor rig and make some sort of racket.

A mandolin or bouzouki might prove more useful. Worst case scenario, it can be a conversation piece to hang on the wall.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • Thanks, that makes sense I suppose. I think you're right re the electric/silent ones but the gift budget doesn't stretch that far as we are both saving for a wedding next year. 

I'll keep my eyes open.

I did want a bouzouki when in Greece last year but decided against it. I've had both an acoutstic and electric mandolin but fancy something more musical, more tuneful rather than strummy
  • My dad has a reasonably cheap Chinese one that he thinks is very good. 
  • Violin that is.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Sounds interesting, there are lots of different ones on ebay etc but I've no idea which is which
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 18727
    Thanks, that makes sense I suppose. I think you're right re the electric/silent ones but the gift budget doesn't stretch that far as we are both saving for a wedding next year. 

I'll keep my eyes open.

I did want a bouzouki when in Greece last year but decided against it. I've had both an acoutstic and electric mandolin but fancy something more musical, more tuneful rather than strummy
    Have you ever tried playing a violin? Musical & tuneful wouldn't be my first choice of descriptions unless maybe you work in a home for really pissed off Siamese cats & fancy taking the sounds of work home :-D
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Ha no I know what you mean but I found the mandolin was just a bit plinky plonky as you have to strum it even to play tunes
  • Having sat through hours of kids playing instruments the violins/ cellos/ violas are always the most painful. You’ll need an understanding partner. 
    The instrument that always surprised me was the harp, looks horrendously difficult but kids seemed to produce good results quite quickly. Not a cheap option. 
    A ptrumpet or pcornet,etc, is a relatively cheap way to get hold of an ( apparently) perfectly decent instrument at a budget price. I guess you could stick a mute in it. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9712
    edited December 2019
    Hmm, didn't sound too bad before when I had a go with one. It's not like a five year old learning it and scratching away at the strings! I've a fair bit of practice learning instruments and stuff.

And I'd rather cut off my own ears than listen to brass instruments

Not to worry, looks like they are out of scope in any case
  • Hmm, didn't sound too bad before when I had a go with one. It's not like a five year old learning it and scratching away at the strings! I've a fair bit of practice learning instruments and stuff.

And I'd rather cut off my own ears than listen to brass instruments ...
    ...and then send them to your partner in a box. Classic romantic move. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    Ha no I know what you mean but I found the mandolin was just a bit plinky plonky as you have to strum it even to play tunes
    Not the case, you can get some pretty good riffs out of a mandolin, think Battle of Evermore, various R.E.M etc.
    Anyway, back to the point. I have a violin going spare that I'll happily let you have for postage costs, plus a donation to the FB.
    Spoiler alert, it isn't an Amati or a Stradivari so far as I know, but I reckon it is possibly as good as any 'cheap' one you might randomly pick on eBay. I bought it to compare an eBow with... just because I could  ;)  Besides, the case was great for fancy dress gangster props  :)
    Few pics
    Tell you what, if I could get a Les Paul with a top like the back of this old beast I'd think Boneyard.  ;) :)

0reaction image LOL 10reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Wow that is super kind thank you, very generous of you indeed. I will drop you a message about it to sort it. Very grateful for this indeed!
    Not a problem & no hurry, it isn't going anywhere.
     Don't thank me, you & your family may live long enough to curse my name throughout eternity   ;)
    I honestly believe it really is not a very good instrument & it may look better than it is, but I have no use for it & I really hate something going to waste when someone might have a use for it.
    We'll sort something out, no worries :+1: 
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ricky50ricky50 Frets: 159
    What a truly civilised place this is.
  • Very cool  =)
  • Well honestly I'm very grateful and impressed - acts of kindness are often few and far between in the real world so it's enthusing how often they occur on this here Fretboard. Thank you @Kittyfrisk!
  • enjoenjo Frets: 278
    I bet that will sound great!

Just check that the sound post is in place (it's inside and connects the top and bottom together), if not it is probably worth getting that sorted.

Oh and ear plugs for anyone near - they are tricky beasts that don't really do quiet!

• droflufdrofluf Frets: 3682
    It is a great community here.

So in the same spirit if anyone has a vintage Gibson 335 in Cherry Red that they never play anymore and would like to give to me... =)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • enjo said:
    I bet that will sound great!

Just check that the sound post is in place (it's inside and connects the top and bottom together), if not it is probably worth getting that sorted.

Oh and ear plugs for anyone near - they are tricky beasts that don't really do quiet!

I play piano normally so I'm confident if the Better Half and the neighbours can put up with that, then the violin should be tolerable :) Thanks for the tip on the sound post.

I'm quite looking forward to learning it, perhaps a progress thread on here could be interesting. Or catastrophic, perhaps, but nontheless interesting.

Well honestly I'm very grateful and impressed - acts of kindness are often few and far between in the real world so it's enthusing how often they occur on this here Fretboard. Thank you @Kittyfrisk!
    No worries, I'm a complete & utter bastard really  :-D
    I just checked & I presently do not have a box suitable to pack it in.
    That & the imminent onslaught of family Christmas entanglements, means that I'm unlikely to be able to get it moved before the new year  :s   Hope this isn't a problem?
    PS, I'll need some address details too  ;)