Earplugs (again) Elacin/ACS

What's Hot
HaychHaych Frets: 5628

My Elacin ER15s are a bit old and, well, past it.  They still work but one has physically split and the sound quality isn't what it used to be, the filters must be tired after 20+ years of use.

I'd buy some more but can't find anywhere that will take impressions for Elacin.

Boots are doing ACS impressions - are these as good as the Elacin plugs?  I should imagine technology has moved on so much in the last 20 years that the answer is obvious.  Thinking about going for the PRO15/17.

Anyone know what the rough lead time is from Boots taking the impressions to the plugs landing on the door-mat?

Cheers

There is no 'H' in Aych, you know that don't you? ~ Wife

Turns out there is an H in Haych! ~ Sporky

Bit of trading feedback here.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• As far as I know the Elacin range was licensed to ACS in the UK, whereas the Pro range is there own range of filters, but they're not interchangeable in the same impressions.

My old ER15 had the same issue where they split, but they replaced them without question (I worked down the road from the Banbury office and called in).

The Pro range are an improvement.
  • I had the impressions taken for my Pro 17's and they were sent to me within 2 weeks.
  • simonksimonk Frets: 1467
    Read Audio. Excellent plugs and super fast service.

http://www.read-audio.com/
  • HaychHaych Frets: 5628
    As far as I know the Elacin range was licensed to ACS in the UK, whereas the Pro range is there own range of filters, but they're not interchangeable in the same impressions.

My old ER15 had the same issue where they split, but they replaced them without question (I worked down the road from the Banbury office and called in).

The Pro range are an improvement.

Thanks - my plugs are 20+ years old so I think it's unlikely they're replacable.  I wasn't aware there was an affiliation with Elacin and ACS, though.

I had the impressions taken for my Pro 17's and they were sent to me within 2 weeks.

That's useful to know.  I'll probably get them ordered and an appointment booked in the early new year.  First gig of the year is February 8th I think so hoping that's enough time. 

• If you go for the hearing for musicians thing they provide you with acs plugs

https://www.musicianshearingservices.co.uk/what-we-do/musicans-hearing-health-scheme/
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I used a company called protect hear based in louth they supplied elacin er15 for my daughter, we paid cash when they came out to do impression 
  • Are they not all about the same?

I dropped one at a super dark and crowded gig the other night - swore loudly but VERY thankfully managed to find it!!

Update for anyone who is interested.

In the end went with the ACS Pro17s, ordered them a couple of weeks ago and had the impressions taken this morning at Boots.

It's a sublime experience and, on par with having my ears syringed, is almost better than that thing Mrs Haych and I sometimes do without any clothes on.

Also interesting was having both ears plugged with goopy thick glue stuff.  The tinnitus in my right ear is obviously worse than in my left, and at least for the duration of the appointment the low droning noise I now seem to have in my right ear went away!

Surprising how much I could still hear externally while both ears were stopped up with purple gunk!

Hopefully it won't be long before the plugs arrive.

• ewalewal Frets: 2582
    I'm thinking of getting some ACS plugs made at long last - probably about 20 years too late but hey-ho...

Pleased to read that having impressions taken is an enjoyable process - I'm not looking forward to the hearing test and being told my hearing is already shite, then having my ears manhandled and gunked...
    The Scrambler-EE Walk soundcloud experience
  • wibblewibble Frets: 1097
    On a related note, has anyone got experience of these for sleeping in?....

• wibble said:

Love 'em.
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6389
    wibble said:

I just use the orange foam jobs you buy in bags of 50 or 100 - keeps my missus' snoring at bay.
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
    Latest update for anyone who is still interested:

I had the impressions taken at Boots in Cardiff on 9th January.  A day later I received an email from ACS acknowledging receipt of the impressions and that my earplugs would be dispatched on January 24th, subject to quality control.

Last Wednesday I received another email confirming the plugs had been dispatched and they arrived 48 hours later, last Friday!

I've not had a chance to use them yet, other than testing they fit ok and are comfortable, but I'm really impressed with the service and speed at which the plugs arrived!

Thank you, ACS!