Sterling Stingray Unfinished Neck?

thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
I just got a Sterling Stingray bass, first impressions are very good, it feels great actually, balances pretty perfectly and sounds exactly how I expected.

The back of the neck just seems to be plain unfinished wood though.

Anyone know if that is the case? I've heard of "unfinished" necks, usually on higher end basses but they tend to be oiled.

If this is just plain, unfinished wood, does that mean it's vulnerable in any way?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14324
    The S-by-MM 'Ray that I owned came with a gloss poly neck finish. My American ones have satin/oiled finish.

If the neck of your bass is raw/unfinished, it will gather sweat and dirt. You have the choice of hand rubbed finishing materials.
    Be seeing you.
  • thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    The S-by-MM 'Ray that I owned came with a gloss poly neck finish. My American ones have satin/oiled finish.

If the neck of your bass is raw/unfinished, it will gather sweat and dirt. You have the choice of hand rubbed finishing materials.
    It definitely doesn't have gloss or paint on it but I'm not really sure what an oiled finish would look or feel like.

It seems to me like a really really smooth bit of plain wood but I'm very ignorant with woodwork and finishes etc.

Doesn't seem to say on their website.
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14324
    The S-by-MM website provides no information. Some models are supposedly using roasted maple in the necks. That tends to have a biscuity brown colour. 

My fretted USA Stingray has a bird's eye maple neck finished in gun stock oil. After twenty years, it also looks a biscuity brown.

It is advisable to remove the neck of your bass before applying a wipe-on finish. You may want to mask off the fingerboard.
    Be seeing you.