Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Starter vintage guitar ideas?

What's Hot
MilkMilk Frets: 84
After my recent ''show of real road work guitars'' thread and seeing many guitars i feel a need for. what are some good starter vintage guitars that dont attract mega dollars. sadly i wont afford a old les paul in the near future but looking for ideas.

no idea of budget as of yet just i like to have a nosy and probably buy something

Milk
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• gringopiggringopig Frets: 2648
    edited July 2020
  • Difficult one without a budget. I would decide on that first. Why dollars - are you in the US?

Also what kind of guitars do you like? If you like oddballs you can find bargains out there. If you like what everyone else likes then it’s a different story. 
  • Vintage guitars worth worrying about amount to strats,  teles,les Paul’s,les Paul juniors, and 335’s all of which have out grown their values 
    www.maltingsaudio.co.uk
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • MilkMilk Frets: 84
    anything up to mid 80s would be my top limit. i have no idea what brand id want but i know that i would never afford a old gibson or fender anyway. i see loads of obscure japanese stuff on reverb that looks like it could be fun.

I wouldnt be looking for something in immaculate original condition because it usually generated a higher price and i like to mess around with guitars too. so solid, never owned nitro finish on a guitar so that would be nice and not impossibe to replace parts is useful too. the whole purpose is to see if i can live with a old guitar and possible a gateway to future expensive needs for more.
  • Cheapest way is to not buy into the bullshit.

Not all that is old is gold. In fact an awful lot of it is a right bag of shite.  
    You can generally buy better modern guitars with all the historical appointments if you want them.
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 8reaction image Wisdom
  • soma1975soma1975 Frets: 6965
    60s 345 can be had for around £6k right? Swap out the wiring and you basically have a 60s 335
    My Trade Feedback Thread is here

Been uploading old tracks I recorded ages ago and hopefully some new noodles here.
    there is enough strats, teles, les pauls ect out there that they can be boring. dont get me wrong id love such a guitar but oddball stuff interests me nowdays.
  • Buy stuff with “Made in the UK” stamped on the back of the headstock e.g. JJ Hucke or 90’s Eggles, one day the world will wake up to how good some of these are & perhaps in 25 years time you will make your fortune.
    @wrinkleygit i like your thinking. i tend to lose money on compulsive buys and sales than make any money. searching them now see if anything looks good to me.
  • IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 6916
    edited December 2019
    The £1350 63 Melody Maker in the classifieds here seems a non bank breaking way of getting into vintage. Then if you like the vibe you could look at others. 
    Previously known as stevebrum
    i loved it and was eying that up.
  • If I was going to get a portfolio of up and coming vintage guitars, I guess I’d be learning more about 70s and 80s US Dean and BC Rich guitars (Hamers are my thing - so you can leave those alone ;) ) get pro knowledge of Japanese 70s and early 80s guitars and buy some of the top stuff that was produced by those makers.

Something like that anyway.
    I'm always looking for interesting USA Hamers for sale.

At the moment I'm looking for:
    * Hamer Watson, SS2, Vintage S, T62.
    * Music Man Luke 1, Luke II

Please drop me a message.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Project Music, have this,  https://www.projectmusic.net/jj-jewel-hh-cherry-red-guitar-pre-owned-26806-p.asp
    Under £600 , ridiculous value!!!
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    any good places to search other than ebay and reverb?
    edited July 2020
    edited July 2020

@Bennyboy-UK the Hamer ones in the style of a les paul junior look nice.

il look there @gringopig thankyou
  • Buy stuff with “Made in the UK” stamped on the back of the headstock e.g. JJ Hucke or 90’s Eggles, one day the world will wake up to how good some of these are & perhaps in 25 years time you will make your fortune.
    gringopig said:
    Project Music, have this,  https://www.projectmusic.net/jj-jewel-hh-cherry-red-guitar-pre-owned-26806-p.asp
    Under £600 , ridiculous value!!!
    True but not vintage at all really.
    It will be in another 25 years, also I’ve just searched “Eggle “ in Facebook Market Place & found a non standard LA at £350 in Somerset.
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 19250
    Don't forget that Gibson ceased production of the Les Paul between 1961 to 1968, as sales of the now 'Holy Grail' guitars were so poor due to people not liking them.  Fickle thing fashion  :)
    Buy something that you really like & hope that is something you will continue to enjoy.
    Also, don't flip it immediately if you get bored or you think the next purchase will be 'the one'.
    Why even attempt to second guess the future, or use guitars as investment speculations  ;)
  • +1 for a melody maker. I never particularly liked the look of them until I tried one this year and it was so good. Think the similar Epiphone Olympics look cool too.