The Guitar Show 29th Feb & 1st March 2020, New Bingley Hall, Birmingham

What's Hot

Comments

• fandangofandango Frets: 2204
    Slimbert said:
    TimmyO said:
    I'll be there tomorrow. Has any enterprising stand started flogging hand sanitising gel for £50 a pop? :-) 
    I think I mentioned this in the other Discussion but Chappers was pretty much having a strip wash in the stuff. 

He's here, but I have to say, there isn't much of a queue of people waiting to see him.

Meanwhile, back in the real world, you couldn't move for the younger generation clamouring round the Chapman stand. And I was told by someone on the stand, that sales were really good, and indications that they hadn't brought enough stock with them.

They weren't the only ones without stock of some explosive-selling items:
    Certain waza-air headphones - 8 month wait for next batch in UK.
    New '30' amp from some motorcyle manufacturer - none in the UK, but they might manage to bring a personally owned one to bring to the show for Sunday. 
    A British maker of guitars needed to borrow from various retail stores to make up the numbers for display.

Good to see some new faces on the stands, alongside see some of the usual suspects.

Mr Lister was very polite. As was Mr Chapman.

Noise well policed, and 30 mins on/off all day was well appreciated.

All but one of the exhibitors (I spoke to many) were positive. To the one who had some problems with buzz, I hope the presence of your missus calmed you down a bit. You know who you are and it was great to catch up with you again. Keep up the good work.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14174
    tFB Trader
    Certainly think the 30 on 30 off regarding noise was far better - I don't think the noise level was as bad as other years, certainly in our corner - It was at a level that can be handled - But as I said the 30 on 30 off makes it a better option IMO
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SlimbertSlimbert Frets: 335

Meanwhile, back in the real world, you couldn't move for the younger generation clamouring round the Chapman stand.

Which was minimum 80% for Rabea...I was stood directly opposite for the best part of two hours and people couldn't get enough of him. Rob almost exclusively chatted to old dudes and he moaned like a child when they asked him to move his Toyota because it was blocking a disabled parking bay.
    fandango said:

New '30' amp from some motorcyle manufacturer - none in the UK, but they might manage to bring a personally owned one to bring to the show for Sunday. 
    A British maker of guitars needed to borrow from various retail stores to make up the numbers for display.

You some sort of gossip column journalist? Why leave out the names? I doubt those companies will send hitmen after you for repeating their name on a forum.
    fandango said:

To the one who had some problems with buzz, I hope the presence of your missus calmed you down a bit. You know who you are and it was great to catch up with you again. Keep up the good work.

Again, I don't think Adrian Thorpe will mind you saying his name. He's not the Candyman.

Seriously...do you get a kick out of being so cryptic? Comes across a bit weird to be honest.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • fandangofandango Frets: 2204
    Slimbert said:

Meanwhile, back in the real world, you couldn't move for the younger generation clamouring round the Chapman stand.

Which was minimum 80% for Rabea...I was stood directly opposite for the best part of two hours and people couldn't get enough of him. Rob almost exclusively chatted to old dudes and he moaned like a child when they asked him to move his Toyota because it was blocking a disabled parking bay.
    fandango said:

You some sort of gossip column journalist? Why leave out the names? I doubt those companies will send hitmen after you for repeating their name on a forum.
    fandango said:

To the one who had some problems with buzz, I hope the presence of your missus calmed you down a bit. You know who you are and it was great to catch up with you again. Keep up the good work.

Again, I don't think Adrian Thorpe will mind you saying his name. He's not the Candyman.

Seriously...do you get a kick out of being so cryptic? Comes across a bit weird to be honest.

Sigh. No pleasing some people, eh?

• sweepysweepy Frets: 4180
    Tried the Boss SY1000, dear lord what an overpriced bit of kit, terrible tracking and uninspiring sounds for the money. I think the show was busier than last year as the car park was rammed by 9:30 whereas last year I managed to get a place quite easily
  • BoromedicBoromedic Frets: 4773
    I've got a ticket going spare for today if anyone wants it? I won't be there till around 11ish but PM me if you're interested (I'm assuming Jason is okay with this of course, will remove this if you aren't mate).

My head said brake, but my heart cried never.

• RiftAmpsRiftAmps Frets: 3134
    tFB Trader
    Had a great day yesterday on the stand, thanks to all who came and said hello

30/30 noise+quiet was fantastic so well done @Jason for coming up with that one.

Aynsley is back on my stand today so please come and say hello if you want to meet him, he's very approachable :)
    *I no longer offer replacement speaker baffles*
    Rift Amplification
    Handwired Guitar Amplifiers
    Brackley, Northamptonshire
    www.riftamps.co.uk

• ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11882
    sweepy said:
    Tried the Boss SY1000, dear lord what an overpriced bit of kit, terrible tracking and uninspiring sounds for the money. 
    what are you comparing it with?
    I had a VG88 then a VG99, but haven't tried any since
  • JasonJason Frets: 1103
    tFB Trader
    Slimbert said:
    Today felt much better than last year.

Top marks to @Jason for the improvements. And apologies again for pinching Mick away from you...what a lovely bloke he is!

ahhh no worries, I went for a curry with him (and 44 others) last night so I managed my Mick time :)
    The Guitar Show, Cranmore Park, Birmingham | Website | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter | Podcast
    tFB Trader
    The Guitar Show Curry Club Annual Gathering :)

The Guitar Show, Cranmore Park, Birmingham | Website | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter | Podcast
    0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TeyeplayerTeyeplayer Frets: 3185
    Roland said:
    These look awesome as ever. What’s the guitar on the left @IvisonGuitars is that an f hole I spy at this angle? 
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26559
    Also, a shout out to Rajani Amps - the first amp exhibitor in the history of The Guitar Show (in my direct experience, anyway) to say "Sorry, our mistake, we've not done this before" and turn it down when asked to.
    <space for hire>
    3reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7391
    I'm ready to call the day a success already - I got parked!

Red ones are better. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • vasselmeyervasselmeyer Frets: 3671
    Forgot my bloody ticket. I got the missus to sent me a photo of it stuck on the fridge under a magnet. Hopefully the barcode will be readable. Managed to get parked and I'll be attempting a breach in a few minutes. Wish me luck.
    tFB Trader
    Forgot my bloody ticket. I got the missus to sent me a photo of it stuck on the fridge under a magnet. Hopefully the barcode will be readable. Managed to get parked and I'll be attempting a breach in a few minutes. Wish me luck.

we will have your (real ) name on a list, don't worry
  • SlimbertSlimbert Frets: 335
    Also, a shout out to Rajani Amps - the first amp exhibitor in the history of The Guitar Show (in my direct experience, anyway) to say "Sorry, our mistake, we've not done this before" and turn it down when asked to.
    Dover Amplification on the other hand will flip you two fingers, call your mum a fish finger sandwich, and waft a cupped fart in your face.

6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • dariusdarius Frets: 631
    Yep, good day yesterday. Good mix of stuff. 30/30 was good but yeah Dover amps can do one. 
    Felt like I was in a YouTube channel with so many recognisable faces milling and chatting. 
    Purple Rain was great. 
  • timhuliotimhulio Frets: 1286
    edited March 2020 tFB Trader
    Had a great day yesterday. Loads more people using quiet demo solutions like Two Notes gear, Fredric Effects included.

This site is still broken for me, but here's a pic of the FE stand:
    http://www.fredric.co.uk/misc/20200229_093221.jpg

• hotpickupshotpickups Frets: 1819
    Slimbert said:
    Dover Amplification on the other hand will flip you two fingers, call your mum a fish finger sandwich, and waft a cupped fart in your face.

Never heard of Dover amplification. Think I’m glad I haven’t now lol 
    Link to my trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/59452/
  • vasselmeyervasselmeyer Frets: 3671
    Can I just say that the chicken curry is excellent.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom